The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm quite glad I've always been a saver, paid the max into my pension and bought a few missing 'years', didn't pish money away on foreign holidays, and didn't buy cars and crap on credit, otherwise I might have had to find another job. I mean @threebikesmcginty imagine me having to work full time at the advanced age of 48? It'd be a disgrace :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't know if i'm retired or not. I suppose i've been semi retired for a few years now, as i've gradually whittled my hours down and now i'm not working at all as i'm on the sick. I applied to work in an animal aid charity shop about 6 weeks ago,but so far i haven't had a written reply. I went into the shop itself and was told they haven't decided yet as they've had so many applications. If i can't get a job that doesn't pay,what chance have i getting one that does.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Stopped workinf in 2006 although i dont officially retire for another 5 years. Gardening, cycling, reading, general slobbing around. Life is hard. Not as much money, but the benefits outweigh having more money when working

Took about 2 days to adjust to not working. I would never go back into the rat race.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A thread specially for 'persons of leisure' and independent means, or those with aspirations.

How do you while away those lazy days?

I work 20 hours a week for 34 weeks a year just for the hell of it. The rest of the time I potter about, hike in the mountains and cycle a bit (at least when I am fit).

How do you cope financially?

Easily - we have more than enough.

When did you retire?

At 48 (I'm now 60), got bored after a year. Set up a lifestyle business which makes me happy plus produces surprising amount of income for what I put into it

Is retirement what you expected?

No, I missed people interaction and a sense of purpose. Maybe when I am older and grumpier this will change.

How long did you take to adjust?

I didn't.

Drago

Legendary Member
Think I might shoot something tomorrow, pass a little time.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Think I might clean a couple of bikes tomorrow morning.
The missus wants to nip over to Appledore so I can choose her birthday present.
Probably lunch at the Instow Arms overlooking Instow beach.
Perhaps nothing quite that big.
Whoosh! LOL
Shooting Horse....geddit?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I cycle most days (if it's too wet or windy, I walk)
I garden for my 84 year old mother
I'm doing an OU degree
I sit on various committees associated with my previous employment
I still do pieces of contract academic work

The main difference, from when I was employed, is that when Mrs R goes abroad for her work, I can tag along too without worrying about holiday entitlements.

It took me about 30 seconds to adjust.

You're retired Rocky?

You should have mentioned it, none of us had a clue......:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1258

Retired xmas 2015 and it took me about a morning to get used to it. A couple of cycle rides a week, a mornings yoga, senior citizens club, time for friends and family, housework, pottering round the garden, it all keeps me occupied. Money's tight, I only get state pension plus pension credit and a very small works pension, it restricts what I can do but keeps the bills paid. I recon its one of the best things I've done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom