The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Went semi retired a couple of years ago as both Mrs B and I thought I couldn't take the sudden drop of quite intense and often long working days, to nil. With hindsight probably could have done, as workload is still just as intense, with some long days and not paid overtime.(Not that I was before!)
Non working days have quickly filled out: riding my bikes, taking time to do stuff previously crammed into a weekend, car restoration etc. In fact I had also planned to do more diving with a fully retired friend and the opportunities for both of us have been limited.
When I retire fully I expect the days to rapidly fill out.

ACS

Legendary Member
Out of the blue I was made unemployed at the age of 59. I have a very specific and narrow skill set and have not been in the employment market for over 15 years so find my self 'retired' by circumstance rather than choice. Automation is so devastatingly clinical.

I have to admit I hate it. I worry constantly about money, the future and the such like. My wife, who fortunately has a job, says we will mange and looking at the figures we may, but not at the level we prefer.

In my head the future is just so dark. Stumbling around without purpose makes me feel guilty, not contributing. I hate seeing the wife going out to work while I feel so ineffective.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
How do you while away those lazy days?
How do you cope financially?
When did you retire?
Is retirement what you expected?
How long did you take to adjust?

1. Cycling, kayaking, walking, fishing and computering

2. I had to retire early due to an accident at 38 so have had very little money to live on, but keep my head above water and some how never gone short and I claim for every benefit going. I have a very very small pension from work £38.7 per month and I get state pension.

3. 1989

4. Hell Yeah every days a holiday except I don't go away

5. Adjust – it was a case of have too I had no choice :sad:

Lee_M

Guru
Now working a massive one day per week in a non-exec role.

Cycling
Also bought myself a Cobra
and another bike
Taking the dog out
Spending too much time on cycling and cobra forums/fora

The one day per week is very well paid, plus previous history has I hope, put me in a good financial position - I'll never be rich but hopefully I'll be comfortable - but who really knows?

When did you retire?
when I was 53, 54 and 55 but contract offers kept dragging me back

Not so far - it's too busy

As an IT contractor I've been used to time away from work so probably a lot easier for me than some who have worked every day for 40 odd years

A thread specially for 'persons of leisure' and independent means, or those with aspirations.
When did you retire?
Etc.

I've been busy today. Hilly 15 mile ride in North Devon, took dog for a stroll along Saunton Sands, cut the front lawn, leisurely pub lunch at the Tarka Inn overlooking the estuary, bit of shopping and now going to nap off my lunch. Never a moment spare! :smile:

Back in the early 1980s when stationed at RAF Chivenor I used to rent a house at Staunton Sands with a couple of other lads.

TR opposite the golf club and it was a large annex in the house on the hill. Can't remember what it was called.

I used to love that area and mean to return someday. I'll be retiring in the next couple of years and would be very tempted to retire in that area. Lots of great walking routes on the beach and round the coast path to Croyde Bay.

Graham.

Drago

Legendary Member
I must thank my Mum, for insisting I join the forces pension and pay max contributions, for tutting if I considered wasting money on finance, loans, PCP plans etc, and for encouraging me to use my divorce settlement constructively. Looking back I've not missed out by avoiding holidays in Lanzagrotty, or driving the latest piece of German willy waving, my credit card has never had more than a few hundred snifters on it, and I can now spend (hopefully) the second half of my life enjoying it.

I'd urge anyone who hasn't done so to visit Mr Money Mustache's website and follow his advice where possible. With luck you might be able to chisel a year, five years, maybe a decade or more off your working life by utilising his wisdom

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
....I used to rent a house at Staunton Sands with a couple of other lads.TR opposite the golf club and it was a large annex in the house on the hill. Can't remember what it was called.
Hannaburrow House? That's on the hill up Hannaburrow Lane, opposite the golf club.
Either that, or Saunton Court. I live half a mile from there.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I retired in October 2015 at age 65. I only get state pension ( 44 year's worth) and a small private pension. My wife also has her state pension so we are not rolling in it but no mortgage to pay so that's worth a few hundred pounds a month.
Got bored after a few weeks so decided to do some supply teaching and still do. The money pays for little luxuries and even able to save some. Overall, not complaining and happy to choose what I want to do. If I decide tomorrow to give up the teaching, so be it, I will survive.

Hannaburrow House? That's on the hill up Hannaburrow Lane, opposite the golf club.
Either that, or Saunton Court. I live half a mile from there.

Hmmm. Not sure what it was called. Not Staunton Court though, so probably Hannaburrow House. You take the right-fork on the drive and up the hill to the right. We used to rent it off a retired Major from the Irish Guards.

Happy days. Surfing every day and lots of Totty in Club Ruda at Croyde.

I would imagine that the roads get very busy making cycling quite dangerous in the summer. It was bad enough 35 years ago, must be even worse now?

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
....I would imagine that the roads get very busy making cycling quite dangerous in the summer. It was bad enough 35 years ago, must be even worse now?
It's only the main holiday season that causes any real problems and that's only for about 7 weeks a year. Main roads get busy but there are still plenty of quiet lanes if you know the area. Worst road is the single carriageway section from Chivenor to Barnstaple, but that can be bypassed using the Tarka Trail.

TVC

15 years to go for me. With no kids, mortgage paid and no debts I am able to build the retirement fund quite nicely. Lucky I know, some I work with have made no provision for their retirement either because they couldn't afford to, or in one case because they were convinced that the state was going to look after them, and now they have to carry on working.

I'm in my 60th year and haven't been retired long. My main motivation came about because Mrs B had a serious health scare and though she came through it safely in the end, the experience made me realise that time spent together with her was more precious than anything else. Fortunately, we had been careful with money for decades, so that made the decision - if not 'comfortable' - at least do-able.

Like others, I experienced the 'holiday' aspect for a while as well as the novelty of being able to pretty much decide on a daily basis how to occupy my time. After the first three months or so, I settled into a routine that included all the stuff I'd wanted to do more of but had always felt reluctant to do during my working years.

I think that I may always have been a bit too work-focussed. Whenever I had spare time in evenings and at weekends, I would find myself thinking/worrying that I should be using it for background reading, research, or getting ahead with work-related skills and planning. I realise now it was that kind of thinking which held me back from doing stuff that was more enjoyable and probably more healthy for me!

Since retiring, I've taken up writing (even though it was a large part of my job - nowadays I'm writing fiction, not factual copy), I'm practicing folk guitar on a daily basis, cycling, walking, eating out more than ever before. Heck, I'm even playing computer/console games. I can hold a conversation with my offspring about the latest PS4 releases for the first time ever!

Would I go back to work? Yes, because I still feel I could be useful and get enjoyment out of working if something really appealed to me. But I'd want it to be very local, part-time so that Mrs B and myself could still do lots together, and (after my last two jobs) whatever it was would have to be something that did not involve even the potential for me falling back into the trap of taking work home whether I was supposed to or not.

Possibly narrowing my options down a lot there - it might never happen as a result - but Mrs B has told me I'm not to go back to that 'work-work-work' attitude ever, and she's right - I know she is.

Top Bottom