The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Retirement is so hard....i have my second cup of coffee. I have no idea what i will be doing today apart from having a pootle on my bike along the lanes. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

Good morning retirees. What's the world got in store for you today?
Just had my first mug of tea and catching up on t'internet.
Beautiful day here in Devon. Will be going over to Appledore later to get the missus's birthday present, followed by a leisurely lunch at Instow. Got to clean a couple of bikes first though.
Looks like it's going to be a busy weekend here judging by the number of caravans and motorhome coming into the village last night - must be nice to have a weekend break from work.....

Sat in front of the fire with a cuppa and cycle chat. Chauffeuring duties first, taking my Good Lady to the hairdresser's, I'll have a coffee and a chat with the hairdresser while she has her hair done, and then we have the shopping to do, later on I'll do a bit more work decorating the box room. I did a bike ride yesterday and tomorrow we'll see our son and granddaughter, Sunday I'll be out on the bike again.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I retired back in June last year, I'm 59 now and I'm about to have a light breakfast before i head off to the local gym in the Spanish pueblo we have our house. Yesterday was a bit of a hilly walk, a few tapas for lunch in a local bar and then on the roof terrace watching the circling eagles and Griffin Vultures. Here for five weeks in total then back in Chicheter for a while. Life is good retired, we don't have as much disposable income,although not too bad but we are really enjoying life much more without the stress.

U

User32269

Oooooh. Meow. The green eyed monster is rearing his head. ^_^
I resent that! I wish all you guys the best as I'm heading out to work. Life's too short to hold grudges.

@mods Why won't it allow me to add a smug coffin dodgers tag to this thread?

Venod

Eh up
How do you while away those lazy days?

Seven grandchildren keep both the wife and I busy, I usually manage to fit a bike ride in daily, spend too much time reading this forum and other computer related trivia.

How do you cope financially?

Ok at the moment my private pension plus 2 state pensions as from last month.

When did you retire?

2011 at 59 but I did some part time work until 2013, nothing since.

Is retirement what you expected?

Yes, whats not to like.

How long did you take to adjust?

I always regarded work as a necessity, I didn't dislike it but it was always a means to an end, so adjusting never came into it, when I first started work at 16, I remember saying I want to be retired by 55, I didn't quite make it but not far off, my father and brother both died in their 60's fortunately they had both retired early so enjoyed a few work free years, I bet there are not many people who say on their deathbed " I wish I had spent more time at work"

Last edited:
Top Bottom