The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I retired in October 2015 at age 65. I only get state pension ( 44 year's worth) and a small private pension. My wife also has her state pension so we are not rolling in it but no mortgage to pay so that's worth a few hundred pounds a month.
Got bored after a few weeks so decided to do some supply teaching and still do. The money pays for little luxuries and even able to save some. Overall, not complaining and happy to choose what I want to do. If I decide tomorrow to give up the teaching, so be it, I will survive.

We've found that with no mortgage, and excluding larger expenditure items eg new car, major household projects, big holidays, all of which we pay for from savings, we live comfortably on virtually naff all.

Running a decent sized house (all utilities) we (two of us) eat well, drink a bit too much, do simple social stuff (pubs etc), keep ourselves clothed, run the car etc on <£15k pa.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We've found that with no mortgage, and excluding larger expenditure items eg new car, major household projects, big holidays, all of which we pay for from savings, we live comfortably on virtually naff all.

Running a decent sized house (all utilities) we (two of us) eat well, drink a bit too much, do simple social stuff (pubs etc), keep ourselves clothed, run the car etc on <£15k pa.
I'll second that!
My standard of living has actually gone up since I retired. When we both get our state pensions, in 4 years time, it'll be like having an extra £15000 pocket money every year.
New Jag on the horizon.....:laugh:

rb58

Enigma
Similar story here. My wife had a brush with cancer over the previous 18 months and this made us both reassess priorities. I quit work, but was persuaded to do two days a week consultancy which pays quite nicely. No mortgage, no debt of any kind, a decent level of savings and the prospect of a healthy pension when I choose to take it. Pace of life has slowed and we're really enjoying our time together, doing just the things we want, not have, to do. Life is good. Adapting was easy.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Enjoying retirement, But i try and work a couple of days of the week, Doing a bit of painting and decorating or cycle repairs, the cycle repairs are getting busier, But i do pick and choose what i want to do,Try to get a couple of descent rides in during the week, Also have recently moved house so i am doing the house up. Don't get to much time for sitting around. Meeting up with mates for a coffee or a beer. life is good.:okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am 20 years away from packing in.

I started paying in to pensions properly from 18 so I've got a good 30 years in various schemes. I've got two private schemes that I'm looking to consolidate and go a little more higher level risk with the monies, but I have 20 years in two final salary pensions. I'll still have to work as my missus is in the usual situation of not much schemes from private pensions. - I'm looking to push the returns on my two private schemes as I can afford to loose them.

If you retire healthy, you are knackered by the UK systems. My dad paid max into his pension and they can manage, no allowances. My in-laws paid nothing, but had their own business, but my MIL has developed disabilities in the last few years. She gets more state benefit than my dad gets having paid in to his private schemes. Something's wrong....

screenman

Legendary Member
Find a job you enjoy doing and you are no longer going to work. I would hate to retire, I would miss to much.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I retired last Friday at 62. I made my decision to retire 15 months ago and told my employer 9 months ago. I've had plenty of time to adjust to the idea. My wife retired May 2016. Saturday felt a bit weird as I'm usually very motivated at the weekend to get everything done. Knowing nothing had to be done and could wait was an odd situation.

I won't miss working and will easily fill my time walking, cycling, cooking (I want to develop my existing skills), travel, gardening, reading and my allotment.

We are living off two smallish pensions, one private, one NHS and our savings. When my state pension starts in July 2019 we won't need to touch our savings. When Mrs P's starts in 2020 we will be very comfortable.

I've been asked to work for a local charity which provides Supported Living in the Community services. I will probably do this in a few months with aim of taking my income to the tax threshold. It will mean 30-40 hours work per month on a very flexible rota - bank shifts basically.

My company car has gone and I'm not enjoying trying to decide on what I should buy.

I'm collecting my new bike today. I took great pleasure in the usual six months it took to decide on what to buy.

I consider myself very privileged and part of a golden generation we will never see again. I'm encouraging my kids to put as much as possible in to their pensions. By the time they reach my age the choice will be look after yourself or work till 75-80. The state simply can't afford to continue supporting pensioners as it has done.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My partner Jannie works at the local court and really enjoys her 10 mile round commute on her bike every day. She has a perfectly good car in the car port but will cycle to work in all weathers. She has even pushed the bike all the way to work in the snow and then pushed it home again...more than once.

She works at the local court and until recently had 2 other collegues. Then one of them retired. The court authority has now decided that they will close their office and move them. This will mean that Jannie will have an hours drive to get to work every day.

She was considering retirement prior to this announcement. She is set up financially but her fear is that if she retires, she will get bored and not find enough to fill her days.

I think the courts decision to move will be the deciding factor. but it is good to see on here that there is life after work.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Good morning retirees. What's the world got in store for you today?
Just had my first mug of tea and catching up on t'internet.
Beautiful day here in Devon. Will be going over to Appledore later to get the missus's birthday present, followed by a leisurely lunch at Instow. Got to clean a couple of bikes first though.
Looks like it's going to be a busy weekend here judging by the number of caravans and motorhome coming into the village last night - must be nice to have a weekend break from work.....

Drago

Legendary Member
Overslept. I normally awaken at 0520 bang on, but struggled to get to sleep because my shoulder is painful after yesterdays ride. So, in light of that I'll keep the rides to ever other day for now.

I'm currently wearing my Peter Griffin Jim jams, listening to Radio 4 and supping a Nespresso.

Later on I'll be fishing the Claud Butlers chrome out of the oxalic acid tank, and rinsing it off. I'll then polish the rear rim.

Dog walk later (Mrs D took him out this morning), maybe a twirl of my knobs later, see what effect the warmer conditions are having on propagation

Top Bottom