The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well tea was good and two portions in the freezer.

Tonight has turned a little sad. A good friend has been planning a move to France for next August. Things have changed a bit and they've gone. I shall miss the company on rides.

On the plus side they've gone to the Pyrenees.........I feel a trip coming my way next summer.
Serious question.....why have they chosen that area??
It must be beautiful but.....it must be freezing 4 months of the year.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well you can't beat a good panto for a good laugh with a bit of adult innuendo thrown in, a great evening.....The only downside was seeing all the rough sleepers getting ready for the night in the Stratford Shopping centre on he way back to the station, a sad sight indeed.
We were in Manchester a few months ago and did lots of walking. Amazing, the sheer number of homeless people. Some were obviously on that newish drug as they were like zombies. Tragic indeed.

Mart44

Über Member
Good morning - No frost here this morning. It's supermarket shopping day today and it's bound to be busier than usual because of Christmas shoppers. We will be part of the throng too, so I can't really grumble about it.

Got to get extra food in for the family who will be staying with us for a number of days. I'm going to ask them to contribute a bit of time and money into the organising of things this year.

Probably more helping our neighbours set up their new computer this afternoon.

Have the best possible day. :smile:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not a lot on today. Mrs D is out so I will chill.
I have had 3 days without back pain. After 6 weeks** I am determined not to rush things but I do feel a ride coming on, if only a 10 miler. There is a nice circular route that I have done countless times but still enjoy.
**my last ride was in 25° and sunshine. I will have to dig out some winter cycling gear.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Oh yes there was 1 chip shop left in Brum that used proper dripping to make their chips. It was very popular. I dare say it's not there anymore.
There was one near Wakefield when I worked there late 90s.
Did it become illegal or just too messy? I must google it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Oh yes there was 1 chip shop left in Brum that used proper dripping to make their chips. It was very popular. I dare say it's not there anymore.
Just googled it. There are still chippies using it.
There is a town called Aldeburgh in Suffolk that has two of them and ONE IS NEXT DOOR TO A REAL ALE PUB..... @Dirk, when are you moving there ^_^

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just googled it. There are still chippies using it.
There is a town called Aldeburgh in Suffolk that has two of them and ONE IS NEXT DOOR TO A REAL ALE PUB..... @Dirk, when are you moving there ^_^
I have been to Aldeburgh a few times , the pub allows you to use the garden to eat your fish and chips, as long as you buy a drink. I must say though, the fish is very good, but I was not impressed with the chips. They were a bit soggy. It's a bit pricey as well.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have been to Aldeburgh a few times , the pub allows you to use the garden to eat your fish and chips, as long as you buy a drink. I must say though, the fish is very good, but I was not impressed with the chips. They were a bit soggy. It's a bit pricey as well.
I gave up buying chip shop chips years ago. You get served a big 'lump' of chips.
What happened to those nice brown crispy chips we used to get?
Pubs seem to get it right. Our golf club does nice chips.....so why cant chippies get it right.

Top Bottom