The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
That caused a hell of an argument when I was a child, I use to have school dinners, and when I got home we all sat down together for the family meal, one evening out of the blue while having dinner my father asked me “don't you have school dinners” yes I replied “why are you having another dinner when I only get one”, he was angry too, I pushed the dinner away and refused to eat any more, the rest of the meal was sat in silence.
The following evening I was given a sandwich, which I refused to eat and sent to my room, the following morning I refused breakfast as well, this went on for two weeks weeks, at weekends I eat very little.
So all I was having was my dinner at school and nothing else, we had rugby in the afternoon and I didn't feel very well, but I went out with the other boys, I don't remember much after that until I woke up in hospital as I collapsed on the pitch and spent two nights in hospital, I found out many weeks later social services and the police were involved, but my father never spoke of the incident again.
Looking back my father despised me for some reason in fact I think he hated me as he never praised me for anything I ever did, and we were not poor, large 4 bedroom detached house, two car family in the 60s with new cars every two years and a 30 foot sailing yacht on the Solent as well.
When he died (I was only 27 at the time) I never shed a tear or even upset, but it's weird how things went the following day a good friend at work died and I felt more for him and his family than I did for my own father and a week later I had to go to two funerals the first was my father or should I say a “coffin at a ceremony”, the following day a proper funeral that I could morn.
Bloody hell..... did we have the same father?
Apart from the big house and cars etc.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We were (genuinely) a poor family.
Truth this.......
Saturday evening tea would often be a sheeps head. The whole head sat on a plate, on the table. We ate the lot, tongue, brains, everything.
If you left the eyes in, it would see you through the rest of the week. :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am trying to pay my water bill online but when I try to pay by my credit or debit card a stupid unsmilng face appears that makes me want to punch it.

I can course make monthly payments simply by handing over my bank details and they will kindly take my money every month. Their website is so dire that I can't even amend my email address.

I have put the bill to one side now because if I phone them I will be very unpleasant to the poor person that answers my call. :banghead:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My mum was a school cook for many years, but was also a very good cook in her own right. I can always remember her saying, and my dad and her were kids during the 20's and 30's, that we would never go to bed hungry. They knew what is was like to go bed hungry and they made sure that me and my brother never did.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Eyup.
Haven't been in here for a while but I'm sitting here with cabin fever so thought I'd look in. Just coming up to a year of full retirement and I can honestly say this is the first time I've found myself at a loose end.

I slipped on black ice the other night and although I'm not badly injured I've bruised my coccyx so riding a bike is painful. Think I need to find an indoor hobby. :rolleyes:

classic33

Leg End Member
Eyup.
Haven't been in here for a while but I'm sitting here with cabin fever so thought I'd look in. Just coming up to a year of full retirement and I can honestly say this is the first time I've found myself at a loose end.

I slipped on black ice the other night and although I'm not badly injured I've bruised my coccyx so riding a bike is painful. Think I need to find an indoor hobby. :rolleyes:
Body Parts Model?

Mart44

Über Member
We only had pudding now and again or cake. You was posh.:laugh:

Ha! You think that's bad. You 'ad it easy. We used to save breadcrumbs, boil them in water with some sugar, drain them, roll them into balls and eat them for pudding ..that's if we 'ad any bread to get the breadcrumbs from. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My father was a gardener in charge of a large garden and my grandparents had a Croft so we always had something. We even had peaches and figs when nobody else had even heard of such things. Once coming home from my grandparents by rail a suitcase vanished. It was the one with the chickens but it appeared 3 weeks later on a Scammel lorry right at the very back where the driver could escape the smell.

Top Bottom