The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

My Mum was a dinner lady at my Junior school.
I used to have school dinner, then go home and have reheated school dinner leftovers in the evening.
It's a good job I liked school dinners! :laugh:

I used to get school diner then go home and my Mum had a cooked dinner waiting for me.

D

Deleted member 1258

I got back about a quarter past two with fifty six miles on, the ride back was better than the ride out, the temperature was above freezing and most of the ice and frost had melted, the problem was that they had been hedge cutting on several of the lanes, trying to dodge the lumps of hedge on the road whilst keeping an eye out for rogue ice patches was entertaining. Cold, hard and slow sums up the ride nicely.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I used to get school diner then go home and my Mum had a cooked dinner waiting for me.
That caused a hell of an argument when I was a child, I use to have school dinners, and when I got home we all sat down together for the family meal, one evening out of the blue while having dinner my father asked me “don't you have school dinners” yes I replied “why are you having another dinner when I only get one”, he was angry too, I pushed the dinner away and refused to eat any more, the rest of the meal was sat in silence.
The following evening I was given a sandwich, which I refused to eat and sent to my room, the following morning I refused breakfast as well, this went on for two weeks weeks, at weekends I eat very little.
So all I was having was my dinner at school and nothing else, we had rugby in the afternoon and I didn't feel very well, but I went out with the other boys, I don't remember much after that until I woke up in hospital as I collapsed on the pitch and spent two nights in hospital, I found out many weeks later social services and the police were involved, but my father never spoke of the incident again.
Looking back my father despised me for some reason in fact I think he hated me as he never praised me for anything I ever did, and we were not poor, large 4 bedroom detached house, two car family in the 60s with new cars every two years and a 30 foot sailing yacht on the Solent as well.
When he died (I was only 27 at the time) I never shed a tear or even upset, but it's weird how things went the following day a good friend at work died and I felt more for him and his family than I did for my own father and a week later I had to go to two funerals the first was my father or should I say a “coffin at a ceremony”, the following day a proper funeral that I could morn.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We were (genuinely) a poor family.
Truth this.......
Saturday evening tea would often be a sheeps head. The whole head sat on a plate, on the table. We ate the lot, tongue, brains, everything.
One thing they forced me to eat was braun........until I threw up over the table. They never made me eat that again.

I don't recall ever going hungry, or, eating a sheep's head.

Patched and second hand clothes, I do remember. However as oldest child, I did at least get to wear them first ;)

In some instances there were things we ate, which I never see now, don't know if that was a result of rationing after the war, or, being "poor".

One example: Poloney (may have the spelling wrong), which I actually quite liked, but, which Mrs @BoldonLad (a coal miners daughter, and one of ten children), members, but, hated.

Before you ask, yes, they are Catholics and yes, they did have a TV. ;)

Top Bottom