The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just as an aside are you all aware any fresh fruit or veg you buy in a supermarket will have been chilled? The purpose is to prolong shelf life. For many items, but not all, the chilling process breaks down the sugars in the fruit or veggie. It is the sugars which underpin and provide the flavour. Break down the sugars and it starts to destroy the flavour. The tomato producer I worked for grew tomatoes with unbelievable flavour but after chilling? No flavour.

Anything I grow will be more flavoursome than can be bought in a supermarket simply because it is straight out of the ground. A second consideration is I can grow varieties for flavour - this is not case in supermarkets. A tomato is bred to be uniform in shape and size, long shelf life, high and long yielding, resistant to a range of pests and diseases - if it happens to taste good as well that's a bonus. Why? It's because we demand/expect food to be cheap and believe a perfectly shaped, blemish free tomato is better. Bollocks!

To avoid this try to buy on a market or farm shop. It's not a guarantee but it helps. Not all supermarkets are like this, there are exceptions. Booths for example get freshly dug potatoes from grower to store in 24 hours or less - no need for storage but damned hard work!
I've noticed sometimes when I buy bananas and apples from the supermarket, there is a dampness on them presumably from the chilling. The only tomatoes I like from supermarkets are the ones on the vine. Bit more expensive but still have a decent flavour.

Mart44

Über Member
Good morning - A bright morning with some cloud. I've been busy trying to set up the new mini-PC but in the end have decided it's faulty and will have to sent back.

I'll be riding over to see my brother later if the weather stays dry.

classic33

Leg End Member
Serious question. Hope I've not asked this before as I have thought about.
Why does anyone grow garlic?
My reasoning is that its so cheap to buy and I can't imagine anyone muching their way through Kgs of it.
Please correct my thinking (gently though).
Good question Dave and probably best answered by my overall philosophy on all my veggies.
  1. I'm only feeding two people so want enough fresh and to freeze till the next crop is ready - up to 9 months generally. I want to avoid waste.
  2. Grow crops were the flavour is enhanced by home growing
  3. Only grow crops which can be successfully stored
  4. Grow crops which are expensive to buy
The allotment is large, 40% of it down to grass as there's enough room to start a small market garden! With all the other stuff I have going on up there probably only 35% is used for vegetable growing. If I grow too much of anything it gets wasted. First I grow things with enhanced flavour (e.g. asparagus, tomatoes, strawberries), then crops which are expensive (e.g. most soft fruits), then crops which store well (e.g. frozen beans, kale, etc. onions, garlic dried).

I grow garlic because I have the space to grow 12 months supply, it stores well, I can grow better flavoured varieties and it gives me a lot of satisfaction! Ticks all the boxes. If I was pushed for space as a cheap thing to buy it would get dumped.

If we discussed potatoes I could easily grow a year's supply and the flavour would be great. BUT they are difficult to store for an amateur and are cheap as chips in the shops. If I have a bit of space I chuck some in but nothing more than to fill the space.
Nothing to do with vampires round those parts then?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Less damage than expected from the wind. An azalea bush ripped up and a top branch on an oak tree broken. The ancient poly tunnel is still there tho’. Less wind today and almost dry. Yesterday was a bit exciting particularly for ferry passengers. This is MV Isle of Mull probably approaching Lismore as it can get a bit interesting around there. On my own boat once the cooker came off it’s gimbals and flew across the cabin about that area.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just as an aside are you all aware any fresh fruit or veg you buy in a supermarket will have been chilled? The purpose is to prolong shelf life. For many items, but not all, the chilling process breaks down the sugars in the fruit or veggie. It is the sugars which underpin and provide the flavour. Break down the sugars and it starts to destroy the flavour. The tomato producer I worked for grew tomatoes with unbelievable flavour but after chilling? No flavour.

Anything I grow will be more flavoursome than can be bought in a supermarket simply because it is straight out of the ground. A second consideration is I can grow varieties for flavour - this is not case in supermarkets. A tomato is bred to be uniform in shape and size, long shelf life, high and long yielding, resistant to a range of pests and diseases - if it happens to taste good as well that's a bonus. Why? It's because we demand/expect food to be cheap and believe a perfectly shaped, blemish free tomato is better. Bollocks!

To avoid this try to buy on a market or farm shop. It's not a guarantee but it helps. Not all supermarkets are like this, there are exceptions. Booths for example get freshly dug potatoes from grower to store in 24 hours or less - no need for storage but damned hard work!

Most of our fruit and veg comes from our local market, as does our meat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good question Dave and probably best answered by my overall philosophy on all my veggies.
  1. I'm only feeding two people so want enough fresh and to freeze till the next crop is ready - up to 9 months generally. I want to avoid waste.
  2. Grow crops were the flavour is enhanced by home growing
  3. Only grow crops which can be successfully stored
  4. Grow crops which are expensive to buy
The allotment is large, 40% of it down to grass as there's enough room to start a small market garden! With all the other stuff I have going on up there probably only 35% is used for vegetable growing. If I grow too much of anything it gets wasted. First I grow things with enhanced flavour (e.g. asparagus, tomatoes, strawberries), then crops which are expensive (e.g. most soft fruits), then crops which store well (e.g. frozen beans, kale, etc. onions, garlic dried).

I grow garlic because I have the space to grow 12 months supply, it stores well, I can grow better flavoured varieties and it gives me a lot of satisfaction! Ticks all the boxes. If I was pushed for space as a cheap thing to buy it would get dumped.

If we discussed potatoes I could easily grow a year's supply and the flavour would be great. BUT they are difficult to store for an amateur and are cheap as chips in the shops. If I have a bit of space I chuck some in but nothing more than to fill the space.
Nice answer that, thanks.
We have quite a large garden and many years ago I dug some over for crops eg bean, strawberries etc but I was working long hours and I couldn't give it the cate it needed......so after a few years it was grassed over.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Most of our fruit and veg comes our local market, as does our meat.
Good man. What we don't grow I buy on the market if I can but do use ALDI as I can't always get to town on Tuesdays. Most of our meat comes from the local farm shop, he actually grows it, or Booths a very good and ethical supermarket chain up here. Booths is very expensive and deservedly so which means I can only afford to buy their yellow label stuff - and then I fill the freezer with everything I can grab!! :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We always have a party for two on Saturday nights and rarely get to sleep much before the birds start singing.

Just been informed by text that we are 'going for it' tonight, as we are at our friends tomorrow night, and can I get a decent playlist knocked up, some fizz iced, wine chilled and a decent meal sorted.

The girl loves to party.

The joys of being married to a younger woman. ^_^

Top Bottom