The Retirement Thread

dave r

Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner
Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good morning. Bloomin cold here but not wet or rainy so that's a big plus in anyone's book. :laugh: :hello:
You will have to stop using rude words like "blumin". There are innocent people like me on here.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all. :hello:

Yay...its Fish Friday! :hungry::cheers:

Checked my state pension forecast on Gov.UK yesterday.
Think I'm going to buy some missing years of NI contributions since I retired early. Did the figures and it seems like a no brainer as far as return on investment goes. Will double check over the weekend and sort it out on Monday.
We did that for MrsD and, as you say, its a no brainer........... so long as you make sure you don't peg out the day after you pay it:wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
:hello: Good morning folks, late on parade today, I've been talking cars with our lad via messenger, he's interested in this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002077055137?atmobcid=soc3&fbclid=IwAR3W0xdZezzz5jOxJ0QQyQXW09ORzllS4w-5gJxxyWUNkGKuZhFL_sTWbMk

I suspect he doesn't need anything that big but it looks a nice old bus.
I had a few Mondeos and they were all good.......can't recall any problems with any of them.
I didn't check if this one is diesel but if so and if its got a decent service history then its good for a lot more the 97k miles.
One bit of advice that was given to me was "if the engine has done 97,000 then so has every other part".

dave r

Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner
I had a few Mondeos and they were all good.......can't recall any problems with any of them.
I didn't check if this one is diesel but if so and if its got a decent service history then its good for a lot more the 97k miles.
One bit of advice that was given to me was "if the engine has done 97,000 then so has every other part".
Its a petrol.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all, hope everyone is feeling good today.
A decision has been made. We are converting the main bathroom to have a walkin shower. We had the whole bathroom done up about 8 years ago but tbh didn't think ahead enough. This gammy back and sciatica has made us re-think. We have priced everything up via the main bathroom type stores but are off th B&Q to double check. Already arranged for Mr Fixit to do the job in 3 weeks(ish).

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning all, hope everyone is feeling good today.
A decision has been made. We are converting the main bathroom to have a walkin shower. We had the whole bathroom done up about 8 years ago but tbh didn't think ahead enough. This gammy back and sciatica has made us re-think. We have priced everything up via the main bathroom type stores but are off th B&Q to double check. Already arranged for Mr Fixit to do the job in 3 weeks(ish).
Desperately needing mine done too. Trying to get a tradesman around here is like finding hen's teeth.

Mine is absolutely ancient and has been needing done for years. It's a small bathroom so thinking about doing away with the bath and have a shower cubicle instead.......not getting any younger myself.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Desperately needing mine done too. Trying to get a tradesman around here is like finding hen's teeth.

Mine is absolutely ancient and has been needing done for years. It's a small bathroom so thinking about doing away with the bath and have a shower cubicle instead.......not getting any younger myself.
This bathroom is not big. Door to wall is approx 2 mtrs. We are having a 1700mm tray with 1200mm screen. We are having the walls done in this newish board** type stuff. Looks good and far cheaper than tiling.
So for the tray, screen, actual shower and all the boarding etc comes to approx £1,200.
**we had the downstairs bathroom done in that so I can post you a photo if you wish.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This bathroom is not big. Door to wall is approx 2 mtrs. We are having a 1700mm tray with 1200mm screen. We are having the walls done in this newish board** type stuff. Looks good and far cheaper than tiling.
So for the tray, screen, actual shower and all the boarding etc comes to approx £1,200.
**we had the downstairs bathroom done in that so I can post you a photo if you wish.
Was thinking of wet wall myself. I believe it can actually be put on top of the horrible existing tiles rather than risk taking them off and maybe needing plastering if there is any damage. I have a good plumber just round the corner but he's always up to his eyes. I will pester him again.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Was thinking of wet wall myself. I believe it can actually be put on top of the horrible existing tiles rather than risk taking them off and maybe needing plastering if there is any damage. I have a good plumber just round the corner but he's always up to his eyes. I will pester him again.
Yes, thats what we are doing. You need special adhesive plus ends and other bits but they dont cost much.
Your plumber will need to be a good all rounder.......imo the actual pluming is only a part of the job.
BTW......re your pension. To my knowledge 35 years contributions will get you a full pension.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yes, thats what we are doing. You need special adhesive plus ends and other bits but they dont cost much.
Your plumber will need to be a good all rounder.......imo the actual pluming is only a part of the job.
BTW......re your pension. To my knowledge 35 years contributions will get you a full pension.
It’s this guy. Seems to do complete refits and locals seem to recommend him which is always a good sign.

https://www.johndouglasplumbingandheating.com/services.html

Top Bottom