The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning all. :hello:

Yay...its Fish Friday! :hungry::cheers:

Checked my state pension forecast on Gov.UK yesterday.
Think I'm going to buy some missing years of NI contributions since I retired early. Did the figures and it seems like a no brainer as far as return on investment goes. Will double check over the weekend and sort it out on Monday.
I'm hopeless with financial stuff. I paid NI contributions for 34 years. I presume that is enough for the full pension?

Just googled it. Seems to be 35 you need. I had just over 34 so shouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

:hello: Good morning folks, late on parade today, I've been talking cars with our lad via messenger, he's interested in this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...OxJ0QQyQXW09ORzllS4w-5gJxxyWUNkGKuZhFL_sTWbMk

I suspect he doesn't need anything that big but it looks a nice old bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all. :hello:

Yay...its Fish Friday! :hungry::cheers:

Checked my state pension forecast on Gov.UK yesterday.
Think I'm going to buy some missing years of NI contributions since I retired early. Did the figures and it seems like a no brainer as far as return on investment goes. Will double check over the weekend and sort it out on Monday.
We did that for MrsD and, as you say, its a no brainer........... so long as you make sure you don't peg out the day after you pay it:wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
:hello: Good morning folks, late on parade today, I've been talking cars with our lad via messenger, he's interested in this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...OxJ0QQyQXW09ORzllS4w-5gJxxyWUNkGKuZhFL_sTWbMk

I suspect he doesn't need anything that big but it looks a nice old bus.
I had a few Mondeos and they were all good.......can't recall any problems with any of them.
I didn't check if this one is diesel but if so and if its got a decent service history then its good for a lot more the 97k miles.
One bit of advice that was given to me was "if the engine has done 97,000 then so has every other part".

D

Deleted member 1258

I had a few Mondeos and they were all good.......can't recall any problems with any of them.
I didn't check if this one is diesel but if so and if its got a decent service history then its good for a lot more the 97k miles.
One bit of advice that was given to me was "if the engine has done 97,000 then so has every other part".

Its a petrol.

D

Deleted member 1258

Well I was once upon a time.

Weren't we all a long time ago.^_^

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all, hope everyone is feeling good today.
A decision has been made. We are converting the main bathroom to have a walkin shower. We had the whole bathroom done up about 8 years ago but tbh didn't think ahead enough. This gammy back and sciatica has made us re-think. We have priced everything up via the main bathroom type stores but are off th B&Q to double check. Already arranged for Mr Fixit to do the job in 3 weeks(ish).

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning all, hope everyone is feeling good today.
A decision has been made. We are converting the main bathroom to have a walkin shower. We had the whole bathroom done up about 8 years ago but tbh didn't think ahead enough. This gammy back and sciatica has made us re-think. We have priced everything up via the main bathroom type stores but are off th B&Q to double check. Already arranged for Mr Fixit to do the job in 3 weeks(ish).
Desperately needing mine done too. Trying to get a tradesman around here is like finding hen's teeth.

Mine is absolutely ancient and has been needing done for years. It's a small bathroom so thinking about doing away with the bath and have a shower cubicle instead.......not getting any younger myself.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Desperately needing mine done too. Trying to get a tradesman around here is like finding hen's teeth.

Mine is absolutely ancient and has been needing done for years. It's a small bathroom so thinking about doing away with the bath and have a shower cubicle instead.......not getting any younger myself.
This bathroom is not big. Door to wall is approx 2 mtrs. We are having a 1700mm tray with 1200mm screen. We are having the walls done in this newish board** type stuff. Looks good and far cheaper than tiling.
So for the tray, screen, actual shower and all the boarding etc comes to approx £1,200.
**we had the downstairs bathroom done in that so I can post you a photo if you wish.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This bathroom is not big. Door to wall is approx 2 mtrs. We are having a 1700mm tray with 1200mm screen. We are having the walls done in this newish board** type stuff. Looks good and far cheaper than tiling.
So for the tray, screen, actual shower and all the boarding etc comes to approx £1,200.
**we had the downstairs bathroom done in that so I can post you a photo if you wish.
Was thinking of wet wall myself. I believe it can actually be put on top of the horrible existing tiles rather than risk taking them off and maybe needing plastering if there is any damage. I have a good plumber just round the corner but he's always up to his eyes. I will pester him again.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Was thinking of wet wall myself. I believe it can actually be put on top of the horrible existing tiles rather than risk taking them off and maybe needing plastering if there is any damage. I have a good plumber just round the corner but he's always up to his eyes. I will pester him again.
Yes, thats what we are doing. You need special adhesive plus ends and other bits but they dont cost much.
Your plumber will need to be a good all rounder.......imo the actual pluming is only a part of the job.
BTW......re your pension. To my knowledge 35 years contributions will get you a full pension.

Top Bottom