The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Took a tumble whilst out walking the dog; went to step on the wooden ramp, that goes down to the nature reserve pond on the Tarka Trail, slippery as feck and went down like a sack of spuds! Bruised both of my palms and skinned my shins. :sad:
I think MrsD was more shocked than me, as I'm usually as sure footed as a mountain goat. It's the first time she'd ever seen me take a tumble, apart from when I raced motorbikes.
Think I need a beer to recover.......
Ooooh, a bit of a shock to the system.
We imagine that if we slipped we would react like a 16 year old gymnast. But when it happens it is just so fast you have no chance.
Hope you recover quickly.
My only advice is.....no beer. Really. Its a proven fact that beer is bad for you after a fall.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Ooooh, a bit of a shock to the system.
We imagine that if we slipped we would react like a 16 year old gymnast. But when it happens it is just so fast you have no chance.
Hope you recover quickly.
My only advice is.....no beer. Really. Its a proven fact that beer is bad for you after a fall.
Too late! Doh! :cheers:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Good afternoon every body. I had a rotten night due to high winds and rain that kept me awake till 4.30. It is p****g down again now and we are going to Rhyl for lunch in an hour with both our sons.
Anyway, had a look in my shed earlier and noticed water dripping in in one corner:sad: so I fixed that so should be ok now.:okay:
Where we are going is called "1861" restaurant which is part of the theatre . We went there just before Christmas and the food was very good.^_^
Have a good day everyone.:hello:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good afternoon every body. I had a rotten night due to high winds and rain that kept me awake till 4.30. It is p****g down again now and we are going to Rhyl for lunch in an hour with both our sons.
Anyway, had a look in my shed earlier and noticed water dripping in in one corner:sad: so I fixed that so should be ok now.:okay:
Where we are going is called "1861" restaurant which is part of the theatre . We went there just before Christmas and the food was very good.^_^
Have a good day everyone.:hello:
A serious question for a change, what is Rhyl really like? I have heard/read various things about it, ranging from the Carlsberg possibly the worst seaside s**t hole town in Britain, to it's not bad, to it's very nice. Your thoughts please.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A serious question for a change, what is Rhyl really like? I have heard/read various things about it, ranging from the Carlsberg possibly the worst seaside s**t hole town in Britain, to it's not bad, to it's very nice. Your thoughts please.
I will go with the Carlsberg view.
TBF my jaundiced view is based on old memories as it used to be full (and I mean full) of scoucers that spent their days on the slot machines or the pub and the nights on the slot machines or the pub.
When we had our caravan/mobile home on Anglesey we would sometimes come home via the coast road.....just to look, gobsmacked at the 1000s of mobile homes rammed onto postage sized plots.... horrible.
As a base I think its quite good as you are close(ish) to some lovely places.
There are at least 2 people on here that live not far away...... they may totally disagree with my view.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Paulus if you are thinking of a break that way the I and others would be happy to suggest places.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Well I tried to help.
TBH the advice I read did say that flat beer from Devon with absolutely no head doesn't count anyway. It was talking about proper beer like wat we get up norf.
Yeah....that first pint in the picture was Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord'.
The second pint was much better; 'Snowy' by Cotleigh Brewery in Somerset.:okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Morning all. No rain at the moment but we had plenty overnight. More to come looking at that sky.
It is my 73rd birfday today:wacko:.
Now you can be honest..........from where you are I don't it do I^_^
We dont really DO birthdays apart from the big ones. MrsD is doing a nice meal later, lamb steaks with roasties etc. We have a bottle of bubbly that someone gave us. TBH its not our favourite tipple but we will have a go at that sometime today.
Have a nice day everyone.

Happy 73rd - have a fun day. :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Daft question. Lol.

Does anyone else occasionally get a short spell in the day when, like just now I'm sitting here comfy, just at a perfect temperature with a lovely mug of coffee and everything feels just perfect even for a few minutes..........I have maybe lost the plot! :laugh:

That's what contentment feels like - long may it last! :okay:

Top Bottom