The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A pleasant 2 hours in the garden. A nice glass of Shiraz was enjoyed.
Backing onto the country park we could hear folk walking the path.
It was possible to imagine all was well with the world :wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our butcher is open as normal - limited number (2) allowed in the shop at any one time.
Our local pub stayed open for takeaway meals but that has stopped now.

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's a proven fact that afternoon napping is good for you.
2pm - 3pm is the optimum time.:okay:
I never got the hang of it. Unless I am really tired I cant sleep in the chair.
I still have memories of my Dad (60+ years ago), Saturday afternoon, Liverpool echo draped over his head to keep the light out....and me under death threat if I made a noise and woke him.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I needed milk and bread today so I went I to the Co Op in Mach this afternoon. It was all quite civilized. No ques, no panic buying, no lots of people all pushing and shoving. Pasta, rice, flour wasn't in stock, but everything else was in stock.

There was a rather sheepish looking couple in a soft top car looking around rather nervously. They must have seen all the home made banners telling outsiders to go home.

It was nice to be able to walk around the shop in a leisurely way. Much less stressful.

Drago

Legendary Member
A mate of mine in Fort William has been chuckling at all this business of folk running for the hills to escape coronavirus. Locals have been telling them they dont want them and they should go - a lot of the interlopers have replied to the effect "fine, but the principle holds true for us too - don't bother coming to our lowland hospitals when you fall ill." He says the arguing over it has got a bit proprietorial and petty.

welsh dragon

A mate of mine in Fort William has been chuckling at all this business of folk running for the hills to escape coronavirus. Locals have been telling them they dont want them and they should go - a lot of the interlopers have replied to the effect "fine, but the principle holds true for us too - don't bother coming to our lowland hospitals when you fall ill." He says the arguing over it has got a bit proprietorial and petty.

There is a slight difference though In that there are only two and a half million people in wales, and and a tiny number of hospitals and Drs. The proportions of Drs and hospital between Wales and England is huge. We don't have the capacity to take them.

They also inundated places like Devon and Cornwall as well and were told to go home because they couldn't cope. So even their own people don't want them.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think there is a difference. If some twit is isolated himself in a corrie he won't need a Hospital and as Tim pointed out to me, half the people whittling in his neck of the woods would indeed end up in a lowland Hopsital if they fell Ill. It's a small island, and the idea that some small corner of it can't cope when a dozen miles away there is an abundance is quite silly.

welsh dragon

A neighbour has reported she couldn't buy tonic today! :eek:

Outrageous :laugh:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I don't think there is a difference. If some twit is isolated himself in a corrie he won't need a Hospital and as Tim pointed out to me, half the people whittling in his neck of the woods would indeed end up in a lowland Hopsital if they fell Ill. It's a small island, and the idea that some small corner of it can't cope when a dozen miles away there is an abundance is quite silly.
North Devon District Hospital has the sum total of 8 intensive care beds - barely enough to cope with the local area demand during normal times.
Our next nearest facilities are at Exeter or Plymouth on the other side of the county and a couple of hours away. NDDH would not cope with any extra cases if there was an influx of DFLs who went down with severe complications from Coronavirus.
This is why they are asking people not to self isolate in holiday homes.

Cavalol

Guru

There's a lot of 'territorialism' about at the moment, smacks of 'Little Wales/England' syndrome.

12boy

Guru
Lovely afternoon here. 21 miles for me today. Very quiet here. Hardly any sound at all accept for the birds.

View attachment 510407

View attachment 510408
My God, it is beautiful where you live. Any room for a boarder? Your lily pond is the shiznit. Reminds me of the Navajo prayer....There is beauty to my right and beauty to the left side. Beauty is behind me and before me. I walk in beauty.

D

Deleted member 1258

I never got the hang of it. Unless I am really tired I cant sleep in the chair.
I still have memories of my Dad (60+ years ago), Saturday afternoon, Liverpool echo draped over his head to keep the light out....and me under death threat if I made a noise and woke him.

I tend to keep going till just after tea, I'll sit down with the paper, the news will be on and the next thing I know is that the One Show has started. I'd like stay awake but can't manage it.

Top Bottom