The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning. Took the MTB for a change. It's already gusty and it was nice to get on the trail with some shelter.

Stopped on the bridge over the river in Comrie and snapped a pic of the Church, commonly known as the white Church for obvious reasons. Lol.

View attachment 525046
I used to have Rockrider before it got nicked. Good bikes imo.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Knock at the door. It's a young lad from a 'switching' company offering to arrange for me to enjoy lower energy bills. I was pleasant & polite; folks have to earn a crust, especially in these times. But:
  1. Door to door sales? During a lockdown? (Albeit a slowly lifting one)
  2. He was wearing a face mask ... over his chin?!
  3. Although, it seemed that I might be able to save money based on his (database's) rough calculation, it's not the kind of deal I'd do on the doorstep. He then asked if he could just take my name and email address so he could pass in the figures. I'm not likely to be giving out personal details on the doorstep either, to which he replied 'I don't need any personal information like bank account, just your name and email.'
  4. Still maintaining my composure, i countered that I considered name and email personal information. To which he then left in a huff.
I tried to call him back*; it's the first visitor I've had in the last couple of months and I was just beginning to enjoy myself.

[* I might have taken a little artistic licence with this part.]

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think it is time for me to stop watching the news.....ever again.

Trials by newspapers, tv companies, schlebs and 40 million self righteous jurers is not something I want to see or listen to.

A care worker was harassed in a supermarket the other day by an Incredibly uneducated woman who claimed the care worker should not be allowed into a supermarket to buy non essential goods because of the risk of germs, but if she had been buying essential items that WOULD have been ok? Plus other equally bullying comments about others are inclined to make me a bit :hyper:. So i shall walk away very fastly and I shall hit Mr WD about the head if he tries to talk about the news. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

Trials by newspapers, tv companies, schlebs and 40 million self righteous jurers is not something I want to see or listen to.

A care worker was harassed in a supermarket the other day by an Incredibly uneducated woman who claimed the care worker should not be allowed into a supermarket to buy non essential goods because of the risk of germs, but if she had been buying essential items that WOULD have been ok? Plus other equally bullying comments about others are inclined to make me a bit :hyper:. So i shall walk away very fastly and I shall hit Mr WD about the head if he tries to talk about the news. :laugh:

I read papers but rarely watch the news, my Good Lady watches it a lot, I've heard bits of the news here and there and with the way the reporting seemed to be lately I'm glad of that.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Well, gas man has phoned to say hes on his way to service the boiler. How jolly exciting.

We have a gas woman. She was recommended by the chap who was servicing our boiler at the time but was coming up for retirement. She'd been his apprentice when he'd worked for British Gas and he sang her praises.

She turned up for one appointment with a bloke in tow, he was a couple of years older than her and she had taken him on as an apprentice. It turned out he was her older brother who'd become disillusioned with office work and was seeking a new career.
Of course I asked the question about how he'd treated her as an older brother.
She grinned and said " payback time" 😁

PaulSB

Legendary Member

We haven't stopped watching the news - yet - but it's noticeable both Mrs P and I tend to read and only half listen until something interesting comes on.

Newspapers are getting very thin.

screenman

Legendary Member
Morning. Took the MTB for a change. It's already gusty and it was nice to get on the trail with some shelter.

Stopped on the bridge over the river in Comrie and snapped a pic of the Church, commonly known as the white Church for obvious reasons. Lol.

View attachment 525046

What reason is that ? This one is in the next village to where I live.

1590492111560.png

Top Bottom