The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have always wondered how people learn to paraglide. I mean, you can practice running along the ground with a big kite on your back, as many times as you like, but, sooner or later, you actually have to jump of a cliff, for the first time, then, you have to actually land again, for the first time. No, don't think I fancy that ;)

Puts a whole new meaning on "losing a friend", I suppose?
Nor me.
I like to think there is a back up plan and to me there is nowt if something goes wrong there.
I have done parachuting.....enjoyed that....but you have a 2nd/backup chute if it goes wrong

GM

Legendary Member
Happy birthday ??

Ooops! Senior moment on my part, anyway everyday is your birthday! :smile:

monkers

Veteran
I have always wondered how people learn to paraglide. I mean, you can practice running along the ground with a big kite on your back, as many times as you like, but, sooner or later, you actually have to jump of a cliff, for the first time, then, you have to actually land again, for the first time. No, don't think I fancy that ;)

The paraglider is only on your back for carrying it around. When flying It's attached to a harness which you sit in. There are tandem versions which can be used for learning, so that you can go up with a trained instructor - I'm not about to. Danni has been up in a tandem a couple of times, but both times after she was already a qualified solo pilot anyway. I think it looks very bold, but she has an air of nonchalance as she just steps off the cliff head at Beachy Head or wherever. I'm always more afraid that she is. I'll ask her to answer your questions one day when she has time, but she's busy packing the camper right now.

There have been some serious injuries involved. I had to retrive for Danni twice before, once to find her with a broken wrist when she got blown into the cliff face, and the second time when she broke her leg on landing. And she is one of the more risk-averse pilots!

Worse still we had a friend Bill who came round for dinner one evening and was killed the next day due to a 80ft fall in 'dirty air'. He has a memorial bench along the seafront not far from where we live. We often walk down there to say 'hi Billy'.

I wish Danni wouldn't do it, but it's her first love as it were, she is pretty obsessive about it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Happy Birthday @Dave7

Good Morning then and it is! Rained heavily through the night and then at 6.00 the promised very heavy rain arrived. For 8.00 the forecast is clear blue skies and we have them. Forecast is good for the rest of today. Heading out at 9.00 for a hilly 30 to Edgworth with a friend who sadly lives at the bottom of the first climb!!, A favourite route and I think we will chuck in a quick coffee and cake!!

Then it will be home, lunch, touch up the bathroom paint, rub down the radiator, cut grass. At 4.00pm the village sports and social club reopens. I'm on the first one hour stint behind the bar followed by three hours in front of the bar!! :cheers:

Have a nice day people.........................

monkers

Veteran
Nor me.
I like to think there is a back up plan and to me there is nowt if something goes wrong there.
I have done parachuting.....enjoyed that....but you have a 2nd/backup chute if it goes wrong

Danni has a reserve chute too. The trouble is that every pilot is loathe to 'chuck it' and there are critical heights involved, meaning that there is a gap in its effectiveness between a recoverable height and the height at which it is effective. If trapped between that window, things are pretty hairy. I must stop talking as if I know what I'm talking about, I just pick up snippets you understand.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sawdust making.
IMG_20200711_081530.jpg

monkers

Veteran

@BoldonLad

Here is a reply from Danni ...

Hi, yes you start by kiting the wing in a flat field & running around. Then they move you to a gentle slope to do bunny hops so you learn to launch & and land before you move to the top of a hill. If you are learning abroad that hill may become a big mountain :0. This is all done with an instructor telling you what to do via a radio. Cliffs come later. Cliff flying is smooth and easy but launching can be tricking so thats not for beginners.

Top Bottom