The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I gotta ask and y'all ain't shy.....when you say "tosser" do you mean a fool or an excessive masturbator. ....why are there asterisks in bloody...is it an obscene word? Why is shite ok but shoot is not? Are hell and damn too crude for this erudite forum?
Sorry if I overstepped with this but I am curious?.
Well it's 4.00 so I don't have much else to think about:

Tosser: as classic posted but also useless or waste of time as in "He's a waste of time" In the UK tosser and w***** have the same root but aren't interchangeable. W***** is, to my mind, very strong abuse. I wouldn't use W***** in company.

Bloody: when I was a child using this would have got me a clip round the ear. It's not obscene and I guess some folk just like to use *** perhaps from habit with other words

shoot or shite: Hmmm, difficult. I associate shite with Scotland first, then Ireland but it's widespread in the north of England these days. Generally shite is weaker, almost mild and more jovial and it's meaning is much wider, " useless," "foolish." shoot is much stronger, would be considered unacceptable in some company, and is used in many different situations. Just to confuse you even more in a few instances shite is stronger "It was absolute shite!!!" with strong emphasis on the last word.

Kevin Bridges great comedian

That's how it is around here. I'm no linguist, and please don't think I'm being rude, but I feel in British English there is more subtlety or nuance to using the words and it's all about context

Hell and damn: Again when I was a child smack on the head words but today not offensive at all.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning. Bit of :rain: overnight and a day of showers I think. Don't fancy cycling today anyway so walking after my cuppa.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well good morning. I feel ready to face the day and I'm hungry so it's porridge time. Heaving with rain 4-5.30 but dry now and brightening up. Forecast keeps changing, two hours ago 48% chance of rain at 9.00, now it's 13%.

I've committed to meeting three others to ride at 8.30. Good job as if I hadn't I don't think I'd be going out.

Nothing else planned for the day or particularly pressing.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning fellow retirees,

A bit of Internet shopping yesterday for a few fripperies. Mrs Tenkay has purchased a purple fitted jacket and found a bow tie and cufflinks in the same shade. These are to be worn while riding "Jennifer" her Purple Brompton in the virtual Brompton world championships which are part of the virtual ride London in a couple of weeks. 🚴‍♀️

I've gone for a red bow tie and matching braces to match my Brommie.
There'll be pubs along our route and hopefully the weather will be kind.
Should be fun and a change from our routine.

Have a lovely peaceful day folks 🚴‍♀️🏊‍♂️🏃‍♂️🚶‍♀️🌞

Dave7

Legendary Member
@12boy @PaulSB
I used to play golf with a good friend** and after bad shots (and there were many) my expletive would be sh*t whereas his would be shite.
We had many good discussions about which was best/most descriptive of the shot.
I tend to use sh*t but MrsD doesn't like it.
Funny that this website allows shite but not sh*t......crazy imo.
W*nker Vs tosser. I think, for some reason, tosser has become less agressive though to me they have the same meaning.
**he is my cycling mate but works full time so no longer plays golf.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Oh yes, forgot to tell you all. Our local ALDI has a traffic light system installed. Light turns green, door opens and in you go. Red light door is closed. It's clearly one in one out.

Sainsbury's across the road had three staff on the door to organise and control shoppers. I found this interesting.

Sainsbury's was deserted inside, ALDI acceptably busy.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I went to bed with rain forecast. Woke to find thats changed to dry all day. Not sure as the gathering clouds say different.

3rd day on the run with no new Covid cases in Warrington. Strange as lots of surrounding areas are on lock down again.

Another morning when I have no plans. May have a 2 mile walk and visit the Co-op. I bought a bottle of gin a few days ago AND tonic to go with it. Poured us both a drink, ugh, not nice.......only to see I had bought soda water by mistake. That needs rectifying.
@PaulSB as these are only cherry toms will a single came do ?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Oh yes, forgot to tell you all. Our local ALDI has a traffic light system installed. Light turns green, door opens and in you go. Red light door is closed. It's clearly one in one out.

Sainsbury's across the road had three staff on the door to organise and control shoppers. I found this interesting.

Sainsbury's was deserted inside, ALDI acceptably busy.
Same with our Aldi.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Dave7 basically tomatoes fall broadly in to two categories - bush and vine. Vine tomatoes are vines, have weak stems and always need canes - a single cane is adequate as it can support the one stem the plant produces. Bush, or indeterminate, tomatoes surprisingly form a bush!!! 😂

Yours is a bush tomato, it may produce multiple stems, it may get quite wide and bushy (sorry!). If you only give it one cane you will probably only support one stem and risk the rest of the plant flopping around, falling over etc.

..........geeez I'm beginning to realize I know more than I thought!!! 😂

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dave7 basically tomatoes fall broadly in to two categories - bush and vine. Vine tomatoes are vines, have weak stems and always need canes - a single cane is adequate as it can support the one stem the plant produces. Bush, or indeterminate, tomatoes surprisingly form a bush!!! 😂

Yours is a bush tomato, it may produce multiple stems, it may get quite wide and bushy (sorry!). If you only give it one cane you will probably only support one stem and risk the rest of the plant flopping around, falling over etc.

..........geeez I'm beginning to realize I know more than I thought!!! 😂
So......in this smallish (10") pot how do I support it.
3 canes and tie it loosely to all 3 ???

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I gotta ask and y'all ain't shy.....when you say "tosser" do you mean a fool or an excessive masturbator. ....why are there asterisks in bloody...is it an obscene word? Why is shite ok but shoot is not? Are hell and damn too crude for this erudite forum?
Sorry if I overstepped with this but I am curious?.
Tosser = idiot. Dummy.
Shite is more polite than shoot. It's also a way of getting round the swear filters
Hell and dam are great. :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good morning folks. I tend to say sh*t a bit.:laugh:. And sometimes twat as well.

Anyhow. We had a lot of rain here overnight. It's a bit brighter here for now.

Talking of traffic light systems. I went to the Co Op the other day and they have a traffic light over the door. Green. Amber.and red. Can you Imagine standing there when the light is on red? Must be like being in Amsterdam :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom