The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Tosser = idiot. Dummy.
Shite is more polite than shoot. It's also a way of getting round the swear filters
Hell and dam are great. :laugh:

From my Irish mum and some of my Irish friends. " Feck" is quite a mild epithet, wheras" F*ck" is quite harsh. " Feckin Eejit" is almost a term of endearment when you've done something daft. My favourite is " Gobshite" and " Feckin Gobshite" which I apply to most politicians uttering 😉

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I gotta ask and y'all ain't shy.....when you say "tosser" do you mean a fool or an excessive masturbator. ....why are there asterisks in bloody...is it an obscene word? Why is shite ok but shoot is not? Are hell and damn too crude for this erudite forum?
Sorry if I overstepped with this but I am curious?.
Morning all :hello:

@12boy If you had heard some of the things I got called by my 'customers' when I was at work, you wouldn't consider any of those words offensive. :laugh:
'Hell' and 'Damn' aren't considered crude or offensive by anyone I know in Britain. I know they are offensive to a lot of folk in the States. Maybe it's because they are more religious than us.
'Tosser' (mildly offensive) is derived from 'W*nker' (more so).
'Shite' is generally a jokey form of 'Sh*t'.
'Shoot' is acceptable as it isn't actually a swear word, just a substitute word much like 'Sugar'.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
From my Irish mum and some of my Irish friends. " Feck" is quite a mild epithet, wheras" F*ck" is quite harsh. " Feckin Eejit" is almost a term of endearment when you've done something daft. My favourite is " Gobshite" and " Feckin Gobshite" which I apply to most politicians uttering 😉

My mum says that and yes she is Irish and 98 years old. Makes me laugh whenever I hear her say it. :laugh:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@Dave7 basically tomatoes fall broadly in to two categories - bush and vine. Vine tomatoes are vines, have weak stems and always need canes - a single cane is adequate as it can support the one stem the plant produces. Bush, or indeterminate, tomatoes surprisingly form a bush!!! 😂

Yours is a bush tomato, it may produce multiple stems, it may get quite wide and bushy (sorry!). If you only give it one cane you will probably only support one stem and risk the rest of the plant flopping around, falling over etc.

..........geeez I'm beginning to realize I know more than I thought!!! 😂
My dad's greenhouse had a wooden bar fitted high up with hooks to tie twine on and they wound their way up to a fair old height.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Most of the members on this thread are from a generation where swearing was judged unacceptable in public, where swearing was a sign of bad manners, but now, thanks to TV, pop culture, actors , celebs and general drop in mannerism, anything seem to be acceptable and nobody bats an eyelid. Sadly, this is the way society is nowadays but it doesn't mean we all have to accept it.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Most of the members on this thread are from a generation where swearing was judged unacceptable in public, where swearing was a sign of bad manners, but now, thanks to TV, pop culture, actors , celebs and general drop in mannerism, anything seem to be acceptable and nobody bats an eyelid. Sadly, this is the way society is nowadays but it doesn't mean we all have to accept it.
And years ago we could say what we liked, if you disagree now.......

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Misleading weather forecast again. As rain was forecast had a lie in till 0730 but on looking out it seemed ok. Quick breakfast and out by 0830 for my usual run.
The Reliant Robin and tent are still in the small quarry fairly well hidden but this is also parking for those fishing on the loch and also those climbing the volcano which has a convoluted gaelic name. From the top there are good views out to the west but sadly climbing it or more likely descending it is beyond me now.
Not too much traffic but most of it very fast. With a trike on single track roads it is not very relaxing as you need to keep a constant lookout back and front.
Got a cheap camera for front facing as that is where the danger comes from in my case. No handy mounting point so just hung it on the mirricycle mount. Surprisingly not much affected by vibration and the quality is pretty good for less than £40. It can read reg numbers on playback and has about 3 hours recording time

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Good morning folks. I tend to say sh*t a bit.:laugh:. And sometimes twat as well.

Anyhow. We had a lot of rain here overnight. It's a bit brighter here for now.

Talking of traffic light systems. I went to the Co Op the other day and they have a traffic light over the door. Green. Amber.and red. Can you Imagine standing there when the light is on red? Must be like being in Amsterdam :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Or mebbe even Antwerp when we went for a walk around the dock area in the evening. We were on a cargo boat but not leaving until the morning.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Absolutely, what a paradox: Bad language is acceptable, having your own view on certain things is not. This is a truly sheep culture society.
This is not the England I know any more, yes times change and we should move forwards and the children take over from the adults, but looking back things were harder then, but we had respect for our elders, the police and society in general, we were not perfect, but I'd soon live in the old days than now.

Top Bottom