The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
This is not the England I know any more, yes times change and we should move forwards and the children take over from the adults, but looking back things were harder then, but we had respect for our elders, the police and society in general, we were not perfect, but I'd soon live in the old days than now.
Yes, I miss having rickets............:laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes, I miss having rickets............:laugh:

Ice on the inside of the widows when you woke up in the morning, warm clothes that were anything but warm, knitted woolen cycling shorts, Ever Ready cycle lamps, smog and I could go on. Having had a not very nice childhood my rose tinted glasses tend to blur before 74 which is the year I got married and really started remembering good things, hair, platform shoes, loon pants party 7.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This is not the England I know any more, yes times change and we should move forwards and the children take over from the adults, but looking back things were harder then, but we had respect for our elders, the police and society in general, we were not perfect, but I'd soon live in the old days than now.
I agree to some extent. We have better medical knowledge now tho' and can fix things which could not be done in the past. I have reached " the age of repair" obviously.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Ice on the inside of the widows when you woke up in the morning, warm clothes that were anything but warm, knitted woolen cycling shorts, Ever Ready cycle lamps, smog and I could go on. Having had a not very nice childhood my rose tinted glasses tend to blur before 74 which is the year I got married and really started remembering good things, hair, platform shoes, loon pants party 7.

" Whitbread Bighead Trophy Bitter,
The Pint that thinks it's a Quart"...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I love Antwerp.
I had a customer there and spent a couple of days there every year........visiting some fab bars and restaurants.
The camp site was I think on the west side of the river and we were on the wrong side. Had to go through the pedestrian tunnel with the lift out of action. Bikes were fully loaded and after watching for a while we went for it down the escalator. I went first as Marta might not have been able to hold her bike back. This proved to be the case but fortunately a quick witted Belgian bloke noticed the problem and held on to the back of her carrier as with the weight of two bikes I would not have been able to prevent the lot cascading down to the bottom. Him and his companion stayed with us and took her bike up the other side thus preventing a massive disaster. On the other side another Belgian commuter volunteered to lead us to the site which was very new and not signposted. We did not have to go back again as the dock we needed was on the same side thank goodness.

12boy

Guru
Thanks for your replies....common speech here can be pretty foul with "f"ing this and "f"ing that. Twat is not used politely as it is only one step down from c*nt, which is extremely disliked by women here. Various words referring to the male member are ok but they are used in to mean a a cruel, stupid or otherwise unpleasant person, and even women, as in don't be a dick, prick or schmuck. Now with LGBT and other politically correct awareness racial or homophobic slurs will get you more disapproval than old fashioned swearing. Terms that mock folks wiuth a disability are also unacceptable. I can't deny I swear a lot, but I miss people having and using a wider range of words.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks for your replies....common speech here can be pretty foul with "f"ing this and "f"ing that. Twat is not used politely as it is only one step down from c*nt, which is extremely disliked by women here. Various words referring to the male member are ok but they are used in to mean a a cruel, stupid or otherwise unpleasant person, and even women, as in don't be a dick, prick or schmuck. Now with LGBT and other politically correct awareness racial or homophobic slurs will get you more disapproval than old fashioned swearing. Terms that mock folks wiuth a disability are also unacceptable. I can't deny I swear a lot, but I miss people having and using a wider range of words.
I think its only people who live in certain parts of Wales that use the twat word:rolleyes:.
Like you, to me, its an alternative to c*nt.
As far as I know....... and I don't know a lot, vagina is the correct English term but only used in medical speak.
Next is fanny.
Pussy seems to be the in word now (imported from USA?).
After that its your errhh uhhmm thingy ^_^

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I think its only people who live in certain parts of Wales that use the twat word:rolleyes:.
Like you, to me, its an alternative to c*nt.
As far as I know....... and I don't know a lot, vagina is the correct English term but only used in medical speak.
Next is fanny.
Pussy seems to be the in word now (imported from USA?).
After that its your errhh uhhmm thingy ^_^
People in Orkney have to use Twatt as that is a place name and when the sainted Boris visited recently they made some use of it.

Went for an old favourite walk today, an 8 mile loop of the Spey and Anagach woods from Grantown. Strange to see it at this time of year, normally we’re here in October or May/early June. Not many people and surprisingly few midges. But not much other wildlife either, all very quiet compared to our normal visits.

Top Bottom