The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
No I did not, the second one is an echo, you often get them in empty rooms.
Well recovered😉

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Good morning everyone. Skies are clear, no wind and 16⁰ - it feels strangely cool as temperature has been around 20⁰ at this time the last few days. Been awake since 4.50 which means 7 hours sleep, not too bad. I don't think I'm going to enjoy today, feeling pretty low already. Bloody virus.

Cycling at 8.30. As I need to be home early the guys have kindly agreed to an earlier start and a cafe stop which is only a short, fast ride home for me.

NHS audiology appointment this afternoon at Specsavers. I've never been there and not sure how I feel about it. Generally I worry about the quality of service from businesses which seem to operate on the single premise of being cheap. Specsavers may be far from cheap, I don't know, but everything about their advertising says cheap to me.

Didn't manage to make chutney yesterday and will try today but more likely tomorrow.

Our local ASDA has an Optician Department. I usually go there, just because it is convenient (5 minutes walk). But, over the years, there have been occasions when they have been so busy that I could not get an appointment that suited. I have then gone to Specsavers, about 4 miles away.

My experience (for Spectacles), is that Specsavers are pretty much the same price as ASDA. It is however very difficult to compare prices, because most of the cost is in the Frames, and, different places do not necessarily sell identical products.

Customer service, I prefer ASDA. But, I suspect the Optician(s) at ASDA are freelancers, and, as someone else said, Specsavers are Franchises, so, IMHO, it does very much depend on the individual Branch.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Another nice day and out for a run mixing with the commuters and workies running late. One I noticed turned back just after passing me and a short while later appeared at a fast rate having obviously forgotten something.
Spent yesterday morning hanging around the local health centre for a visit to physio and getting bloods etc. Did pick up confirmation that the police had to attend the coop to deal with obnoxious tourists on Sunday and also that the health centre had to eject campers who had set up for a long stay in their car park expecting to get use of the toilets. Difficult enough for patients getting in without freeloaders expecting the free use of facilities.
Trike has developed a strange problem so have to start investigating but will have to get it inside the house in case it is not fixed as I am off on Monday for an optical appointment. Had hoped to take it with me so fingers crossed I can get it fixed.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A quick change of plan and an Aldi dash completed. That means tomorrow I can chill out while listening to our Tony with S.O.T.S.
Got to Aldi at 09.40......a bit worried as I am usually there for 07.45. No problems, very few people in. In, out and back home in 30 minutes.
MrsD gone to the aunty..... if she does need paramedics it could be a long morning for them.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our local ASDA has an Optician Department. I usually go there, just because it is convenient (5 minutes walk). But, over the years, there have been occasions when they have been so busy that I could not get an appointment that suited. I have then gone to Specsavers, about 4 miles away.

My experience (for Spectacles), is that Specsavers are pretty much the same price as ASDA. It is however very difficult to compare prices, because most of the cost is in the Frames, and, different places do not necessarily sell identical products.

Customer service, I prefer ASDA. But, I suspect the Optician(s) at ASDA are freelancers, and, as someone else said, Specsavers are Franchises, so, IMHO, it does very much depend on the individual Branch.
I have been using ASDA for several years and am always impressed with the professionalism of the optician, I've been seeing the same one since I started.
They also automatically add thinner lenses at no extra cost once your prescription is above a certain strength. The various coatings are included too ( apart from transitions)

There was a thread on CC discussing opticians a while back, I remember a comment from a retired optician praising ASDA and wondering how long they could carry on offering such a service at that price.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Mrs G had a call from Vodafone this morning trying to sell her a new phone. At the moment, she is on simm only and pays £13 a month. She is happy with that as she gets free calls and unlimited texts. They are telling her that she pays nothing really and want her to start a new contract at £20 a month ! She told then that she is retired, on a fixed income and happy with £13 she is paying now. They were not happy .
I am with "3" , simm only too and I pay £10 a month, free calls and unlimited texts as well. I advised her to go with "3" when her contract finishes in October.
Either of us are interested in a all singing, all dancing phone, although she uses hers far more than I use mine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Mrs G had a call from Vodafone this morning trying to sell her a new phone. At the moment, she is on simm only and pays £13 a month. She is happy with that as she gets free calls and unlimited texts. They are telling her that she pays nothing really and want her to start a new contract at £20 a month ! She told then that she is retired, on a fixed income and happy with £13 she is paying now. They were not happy .
I am with "3" , simm only too and I pay £10 a month, free calls and unlimited texts as well. I advised her to go with "3" when her contract finishes in October.
Either of us are interested in a all singing, all dancing phone, although she uses hers far more than I use mine.
You're certain it was Vodafone?
There's scam calls in North Wales, from people saying they are calling on behalf of Vodafone.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Always worth shopping around, particularly if you have an unlocked phone, which can take any Network providers SIM.

We are with Tesco (who use the O2 network), SIM only contracts, £9/month for 3000 minutes; 4000 texts; 5GB of data. There is a cheaper tariff (£7.50/month). You also get Tesco Clubcard points, which can be used for discount off various things (we use them for Channel Tunnel crossings). We have been with Tesco for about 15 years, excellent service. If you get more than one phone (or SIM) on a single contract, you get "family perks", like money off, or extra minutes. Keeping your original number is easy now.

Sorry, I am not on Commission... honestly ;)

Actually, on second thoughts, I am a Vodaphone Share holder, so, I think a nice new phone for your wife is an excellent idea, the more expensive the better ;)

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Always worth shopping around, particularly if you have an unlocked phone, which can take any Network providers SIM.

We are with Tesco (who use the O2 network), SIM only contracts, £9/month for 3000 minutes; 4000 texts; 5GB of data. There is a cheaper tariff (£7.50/month). You also get Tesco Clubcard points, which can be used for discount off various things (we use them for Channel Tunnel crossings). We have been with Tesco for about 15 years, excellent service. If you get more than one phone (or SIM) on a single contract, you get "family perks", like money off, or extra minutes. Keeping your original number is easy now.

Sorry, I am not on Commission... honestly ;)

Actually, on second thoughts, I am a Vodaphone Share holder, so, I think a nice new phone for your wife is an excellent idea, the more expensive the better ;)
We're with Plusnet mobile on a rolling monthly sim only contract.
£7 for 3gb and unlimited texts and calls.
Certainly worth shopping around as there are some cracking deals

Top Bottom