The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Now that I have joined the ranks of the persons of a certain age, the last few weeks I have been looking at compare websites, and through changing my house insurance company and tonight changing energy suppliers I have saved myself nearly £900 per year so far.
Tomorrow is the Internet suppliers time. The post office is doing a deal, probably through BT who I am with at the moment which is the same deal but will save me another £ 154 per year. 15 minutes on the Internet saves me £ 1000. I really should have done this sort of thing earlier .

I have been doing the same. I can now get fibre broadband, so i will be going from a massive 2mbs to 8 and possibly 10 on 2nd july. To counteract the extra cost, i have cancelled NOW tv movies at a cost of £10per month.

I changed my house insurers insurers in January and saved £300. I kept the same car insurer as the price was better than any others. I need 4 new tyres soon for my car, and i can get the ones i want at £50 less than my usual make. I also cancelled my sky subscription, saving £720 per year.

I do like to shop around, and i would advise everyone to do the same every year.

Well done on the savings you have made.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Now that I have joined the ranks of the persons of a certain age, the last few weeks I have been looking at compare websites, and through changing my house insurance company and tonight changing energy suppliers I have saved myself nearly £900 per year so far.
Tomorrow is the Internet suppliers time. The post office is doing a deal, probably through BT who I am with at the moment which is the same deal but will save me another £ 154 per year. 15 minutes on the Internet saves me £ 1000. I really should have done this sort of thing earlier .

Take a look at Saga too - some savings can be made with their 'contacts'.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mini D's 7th birthday party today.

Happy birthday to Miss D. :birthday:

SpokeyDokey

As a happy 'semi'I had a bit of a watershed moment a fortnight back.

On holiday in Anglesey we visited Beaumaris Castle and for the first time ever I took advantage of the Senior over 60's admission rate.

My delight at saving a whopping £1.60 (I think that was the amount, I can't remember exactly - how very appropriate for an ageing related post) was tempered by the very pleasant counter assistant not querying whether or not I was genuinely eligible for the discount. :sad:

SpokeyDokey

The castle they never finished.

Same old, same old - the fiscal purse was under the cosh and they ran out of money apparently!

Nice place to visit though, we liked it better than Conwy castle just up the road a bit - whilst Conwy was impressive due to its tall turrets (great views) we thought that the info' available at Beaumaris was better.

Top Bottom