The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Good morning. Well, another trip to the tip at 9.40 am , this time to get rid of loads of box files and french teaching books and papers, not needed anymore and also a fax machine. It is amazing how much one can accumulate over the years until you decide to have a massive sort out . Actually, Mrs G decided that so I had no choice. So now we have quite a bit of empty cupboard spaces, ready to be filled again. :whistle:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes.......as the recipe says.....
"The secret to getting gloriously puffed-up Yorkshire puddings is to have the fat sizzling hot and don't open the oven door"!

Of course, it helps if you open the oven door to take them out ^_^ but not until then.
Seconded for the sizzling hot fat. You don't have to use specific Yorkshire pudding tins. I use what I guess you guys would call a "Cup Cake" tin - we call them bun or muffin tins. Put enough fat (oil is OK but fat better) in to cover the bottom of the well. Heat this in the oven by sitting the Cup Cake tin on a baking tray. I put my oven on it's highest setting. When the fat is hot remove tin and tray from oven and place on a gas ring to make sure the temperature is kept high. Ladle in the batter which should sink below the surface of the fat, if fat has cooled down leave on the gas ring for a few minutes then pop the whole lot in to the oven.

For me the secret to a good Yorkshire is to make them small and cook as fast as possible.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning. Well, another trip to the tip at 9.40 am , this time to get rid of loads of box files and french teaching books and papers, not needed anymore and also a fax machine. It is amazing how much one can accumulate over the years until you decide to have a massive sort out . Actually, Mrs G decided that so I had no choice. So now we have quite a bit of empty cupboard spaces, ready to be filled again. :whistle:
I still remember the first time I saw a fax machine, I was blown away by the technology! How things have changed.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A belated good morning fellow retirees,
Following an interesting trip on the Caledonian sleeper followed by a ride across London, Mrs Tenkay and I are relaxing with a coffee with son and daughter in law.
We'll be getting the train to Poole later🚂🚂🚂
Have a lovely peaceful day folks 🏃‍♂️🚴‍♀️🚶‍♀️🏊‍♂️

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Diary for the day

11.15 Take the hedge clippings to the tip
1.30 Flu vaccination

Exciting day :hyper:j:hyper::hyper:

Well at least you've got something to do. I need a new tyre and that's it. :sad:

True I'm going to chat about new bikes but really.....................

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm back home and a little annoyed, out on my bike just after half eight, three mile from home, Four Pounds Avenue I got a snake bite in the back, thats my sixth flat this year, I normally only get one or two a year so I've now had more flats in a year than i usually get in three years. :sad: I'm now sat here trying to figure out whats changed, what am I doing different, there must be something. I've got a Rubino on the front and a Durano on the back, now whilst the Rubino is new to me, only went on this year, I've been using Durano's for years with out problems, its a puzzle.

Top Bottom