The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My multimeter just turned into a genie ................ it went puff in a cloud of smoke........ I think it's broke :sad:

Not trying to measure voltage when it's on the resistance setting?
I've banjaxed a few in my time Top Tip : don't put an expensive AVO Meter on top of a belt sander and then check for continuity across the starting contacts. It may well cause the machine to start up and launch the AVO meter across the workshop 😉

Dave7

Legendary Member
@PaulSB .
Around Standish/Wigan I only know A roads so will start lower down.
Standish A49 ......Hindley>A578>Leigh >A574 to Culchetch.
At Culcheth >A5212 to Glazebrook (NOT Glazebury).
Follow this country road to Hollins Green. At HG you can have a meander down the lanes or......
A57....do a right. A busy road but its only for a mile.
At lights > left over a nice steep Warburton Bridge.
Left to Dunham Massey (NT).

If you fancy this I can break it down a bit.
I will send another one shortly.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@PaulSB
This one has some off roads. One of my favourites.
At Culcheth...... head to Locking Stumps, then Woolston.....minor roads and cycle paths.
Short quiet road then a footbridge over the weir of the river Mersey (in October you can watch the salmon leaping here).
Up a steep path (I dismount here) to the Ship Canal.
Take this off road wide path all the way passed Moore nature reserve to Runcorn. You can then cycle over the old Runcorn/Widnes Mersey bridge. Drop down to Spike Island and follow the Bridgewater canal back towards Woolston.

From Woolston its approx a 25-30 mile loop.
If it interests you I will break it down more.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Not trying to measure voltage when it's on the resistance setting?
I've banjaxed a few in my time Top Tip : don't put an expensive AVO Meter on top of a belt sander and then check for continuity across the starting contacts. It may well cause the machine to start up and launch the AVO meter across the workshop 😉
No I had charged up a Gel 12 volt battery and checked in the morning with the meter and smoke came out and it was on the right setting if not a fuse inside would have blown, it was getting old anyway, so got a new one coming :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all :hello:

Looks like being a nice day today, but a bit breezier than yesterday.
Off fo a walk in a nature reserve this morning.

Never had a bagel in my whole life.....or a pretzel, come to think of it.
Must get out more! :laugh:
I do like a lightly toasted bagel with either, Philadelphia garlic and herb cheese and smoked bacon. Or, smoked salmon and the Philly cheese. Or, saltbeef with mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dry but overcast with light wind and not cold. Front grass had to be cut which is a job I hate as part is on a steep bank which is not easy with my sometimes dodgy balance. I did consider cutting the bank back and putting in a wall to make the whole thing level and then consider gravel instead of grass. A few pokes with a steel rod soon killed that idea. The whole thing is solid rock and not nice friable stuff either.
A builder further up the road was preparing foundations and used explosives. Unfortunately he was a bit heavy handed and bits of rock landed over quite a wide area. We were lucky they missed us.
It is easy to pick up which are the holiday lets now as they all leave their bins out in the street and nobody ever takes them in. A simple observation should make them realise that none of the residents leave bins out but despite their protestations about how they all care about our local environment they cannot be bothered even doing that. Typical behaviour we have come to expect with no care for residents.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have several friends who have recently take up distance open water swimming. I'm truly in awe of what they achieve. 2, 3, 4000 metres seems common. I don't know how you all manage it. 10 lengths of the pool and I'm nackered.
The secret is buoyancy, Paul! :okay:

One of my old posts said:
I know people who can only just swim! A friend of mine told me that he found it really hard because his body is not buoyant. I have huge lungs, so if I take a deep breath I bob around happily on the surface. He demonstrated to me that when he stops treading water or swimming, he immediately sinks! As a result, swimming is very tiring for him. I had a 10 year break from swimming, but was then able to just dive in and swim continuously for 90 minutes, no problem.

So, my suggestion is to get yourself some buoyancy aids to level the playing field pool!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No cycling today because I did a hard , fast 10 miles yesterday and had a few PR in the process with a 14.5 mph average speed. My usual is 12 to 13 mph.
I think it makes a change sometimes just to cover a short distance but play it hard.
I will probably go again tomorrow and resume a longer leisurely ride, if the weather allows of course.
Nothing special planned for today otherwise.

I do like a lightly toasted bagel with either, Philadelphia garlic and herb cheese and smoked bacon. Or, smoked salmon and the Philly cheese. Or, saltbeef with mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
Those fillings sound good. But, like Dirk, I too have never tried a bagel, I’ve only a vague idea of what one is. I don’t know what a pretzel is either. Or a multimeter ! I’ve lead a sheltered life.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don’t know what a pretzel is either. Or a multimeter ! I’ve lead a sheltered life.
I know very well what a multimeter is because I spent most of my sheltered teenage years sequestered with one, rather going out and picking up girls (or boys)...! As an adult I did an electronic engineering degree so I got even more familiar with electrical/electronic test gear (and even less familiar with my fellow students). :laugh:

12boy

Guru
Perhaps the multimeters are made with a mix of flours and seeds and are a little over a yard long. Or not.
Unfortunately for me, my quest to avoid diabetes has lead to a severe curtailing of carbs. Sugars are avoided except for those in fruits and other carbs are very limited although unprocessed ones are better. Fats are ok, as are proteins and non carby vegetables. Of course, now carbs are limited I want them. The end result of all this is my weight ranges from 66.5 kg to 67.3 and I've had to buy new pants with a 30 inch waist or use suspenders to keep my britches from falling off my bony butt. I used to weigh 80 kg before I began eating this way. It's hard to maintain muscle mass as well. On the good side, relying on fat for fuel means I'm less hungry and energy levels don't go up and down with eating sugar.
It's kind of funny....when I was younger we didn't eat well because we didn't have much money and now I am limited by health issues. Having seen a lot of disability claims stemming from diabetes I have a real horror of the crippling results that it can cause.

Top Bottom