The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello again. When I got up it was wet and miserable, the sun is now shining. For a week the CH has failed to work, boiler is fine and it seems to be a thermostat/control issue. The gasman is due between 8.00-12.00. Guess what??? The boiler fired up and the CH came on at preceisely 07.45 as it's programmed to do. :wacko::evil:

In other news a debate has broken out amongst my cycle buddies about Lancashire lockdown rules. I have truly studied these in depth, read the .gov website several times and I'm convinced under the Rule of Six we can meet and ride though there is ADVICE to AVOID meeting other households outdoors.

Lost both BBC 1 and 2 on the TV through the aerial, all other stations OK. We can get BBC1 and 2 in HD if the aerial is plugged in to the TV but if we connect the aerial to the old BT box which we use for recording they disappear. This is a PIA as the digital service does not broadcast local news while whatever it is we get through the BT box does! Not sure what to do next but it will keep me occupied today.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Lovely sunny morning with no wind. Not decided what to do with the day yet but bread is rising and soup ready to go. I will have to work around the bread timings and tho' a bit sceptical I got a soup making thingy and it is actually pretty handy. It makes 5 servings so eat one 2 in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Need to bring the freezer levels down a bit as it needs defrosting soon. Not one of your modern things, this one is about 45 years old and cannot be replaced as that size is not made anymore.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hello again. When I got up it was wet and miserable, the sun is now shining. For a week the CH has failed to work, boiler is fine and it seems to be a thermostat/control issue. The gasman is due between 8.00-12.00. Guess what??? The boiler fired up and the CH came on at preceisely 07.45 as it's programmed to do. :wacko::evil:

In other news a debate has broken out amongst my cycle buddies about Lancashire lockdown rules. I have truly studied these in depth, read the .gov website several times and I'm convinced under the Rule of Six we can meet and ride though there is ADVICE to AVOID meeting other households outdoors.

Lost both BBC 1 and 2 on the TV through the aerial, all other stations OK. We can get BBC1 and 2 in HD if the aerial is plugged in to the TV but if we connect the aerial to the old BT box which we use for recording they disappear. This is a PIA as the digital service does not broadcast local news while whatever it is we get through the BT box does! Not sure what to do next but it will keep me occupied today.

I take it there's not a "pass through" aerial socket on the back of the BT box?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Perhaps, stating the obvious..... but........ have you tried re-tuning the BT box?

As an aside, we used to have TalkTalk TV box, which incurred a small monthly fee.

I recently cancelled it, and, replaced it with a Humax Freeview/Recorder box, which records, allows pause TV etc etc. I suspect we have lost a few channels, but, nothing that we have ever watched, and our monthly charge to TalkTalk. The economics are not overwhelming, it will tale about two years to break even, after that, we begin to save.

Actually, I am not totally convinced of the need for "record", now that just about everything is available on "catch-up" via IPlayer etc.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I take it there's not a "pass through" aerial socket on the back of the BT box?
Can you explain please? I don't know what a "pass through" aerial socket is. Help would be appreciated.

The TV aerial comes in to a box on the wall and the internal cable screws on to this. The internal cable has a push on connection in to the BT box, a separate cable with push on connection goes out of the BT box and in to the TV. When it's connected like this we used to receive BBC 1 and 2 which included local TV news but we ALSO received BBC 1 and 2 on an HD channel which didn't include local news. on The local BBC was on channels 1 and 2 and HD on channels 101 and 102. At the moment when through the box channels 1 and 2 simply do not show in the guide but 101 and 102 do.

I also have an HDMI cable which connects the BT box to the TV - I cannot remember why I have this, really!!

I am a bear of very little brain and what I do have is quite simple. :laugh:

Myself I can live without North West Tonight but Mrs P does enjoy it.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Perhaps, stating the obvious..... but........ have you tried re-tuning the BT box?

As an aside, we used to have TalkTalk TV box, which incurred a small monthly fee.

I recently cancelled it, and, replaced it with a Humax Freeview/Recorder box, which records, allows pause TV etc etc. I suspect we have lost a few channels, but, nothing that we have ever watched, and our monthly charge to TalkTalk. The economics are not overwhelming, it will tale about two years to break even, after that, we begin to save.

Actually, I am not totally convinced of the need for "record", now that just about everything is available on "catch-up" via IPlayer etc.

Yes I've tried re-tuning both the TV and the box. For a bit we lost a lot of channels but a second re-tune restored everything bar BBC 1 and 2. I'm happy to buy a Humax box and have read good reviews. My wife likes to record ITV so she can skip through the adverts. Like everyone else we have hundreds of channels available but only watch BBC and ITV with the occassional foray in to Netflix and Amazon.

The reason we have a BT box is we used to get broadband and TV from BT. I ditched BT for broadband and now have Sky for around two years. BT didn't ask for the box back so we kept it for recording. I have a suspicion a BT box is a Humax re-badged?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Can you explain please? I don't know what a "pass through" aerial socket is. Help would be appreciated.

The TV aerial comes in to a box on the wall and the internal cable screws on to this. The internal cable has a push on connection in to the BT box, a separate cable with push on connection goes out of the BT box and in to the TV. When it's connected like this we used to receive BBC 1 and 2 which included local TV news but we ALSO received BBC 1 and 2 on an HD channel which didn't include local news. on The local BBC was on channels 1 and 2 and HD on channels 101 and 102. At the moment when through the box channels 1 and 2 simply do not show in the guide but 101 and 102 do.

I also have an HDMI cable which connects the BT box to the TV - I cannot remember why I have this, really!!

I am a bear of very little brain and what I do have is quite simple. :laugh:

Myself I can live without North West Tonight but Mrs P does enjoy it.
If you can see the model of BT box ( should be on a label on the back/underneath) that will help identify it.
My box has a TV aerial socket that is connected to the external TV aerial.

There is a second socket next to it that goes from the box to the aerial input socket on the TV
There is also a HDMI connection from the box to the TV.
On the TV I can select the input ( Aerial, HDMI 1, HDMI 2,etc)

If the box is switched off the TV still works as the signal from the external aerial " passes through" from the input socket to the output socket on the back of the box.

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
An American company backing the survey, who just happen to manufacture the supplements.
Professor Luke O Neill of Trinity told me this months ago

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Tenkaykev - thanks. The box is a DTR-T2100 which corresdponds with the Humax code, which is also on the box, of 91-00438.

Like you I an select various inputs, aerial, HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc. I now remember the reason for having the HDMI cable is to connect the box to the TV and through this we used to receive local BBC and BBC HD - it is currently working very well for all channels except BBC 1 and 2. The TV was usually selected to work through this connection.

Yes on the BT box I have "aerial in" which is where I connect the external aerial, next to this is "aerial out" which I connect to the TV "aerial in." When it's connected like this if I select the TV input as aerial the reception is awful or "lost signal" on all channels. If I connect the aerial input direct to external aerial all channels are excellent, better picture than through the box, but there is no local BBC 1 and 2.

Top Bottom