The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Bike ride is off. :sun: has gone, blue sky has gone, all to be replaced by grey clouds and rain so just another lazy day awaits then.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Back from my shop.
I did Asda as its 2 hours free and near to MrsDs hair dresser.
Dont know about you but I dont like shopping at the best of times and especially when I dont know where anything is.
In Aldi I know where everything is. I can be in at 0745 and home for 0815. This was a small shop and took me over an hour.
AND..... its nearly all self serve/scan......hardly any conveyors.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
An old post of mine on vitamin D...

Get vitamin D3 in combination with vitamin K2. Yes, you ought to be able to get all vitamins except perhaps D from your diet but in most countries now K2 content of food is MUCH lower than it was for our ancestors. It mainly comes from animal products and animals get it from what THEY eat, which has changed significantly and not for the better. Vegans would have to be very careful in what they eat.

You can get K2 from fermented products such as natto (fermented soya bean curd, which most westerners find pretty disgusting!) but I just buy a D3/K2 supplement. D3 helps the body extract calcium from food, and K2 is used to control where the body deposits it. Without vitamin D3 you will suffer calcium deficiency (brittle bones etc.). With D3, but no K2, calcium will end up where you really don't want it i.e. instead of in bones and teeth, it could end up causing havoc in organs and arteries.

Read about it in Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life. (Kindle edition currently only £1.24.) It is very convincing.

I get my D3/K2 here.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I think I've tracked down the TV issue. It's one I've been suspicious of for a while - the power cable to the box.

I connected the TV to the router with an ether net cable. I retuned again! This time picked up BBC 1 & 2 but with pixelation. As our router is broadband only I don't believe this makes a difference.

A few weeks ago I brushed the power cable on the box and the service was interrupted and pixelated. I've moved the power cable so it hangs downwards and the 13 amp plug is now plugged into an extension which is on the floor rather than in the wall socket.

Theory is over the years the "stress" on the cable has slightly damaged the plug which connects to the box or the socket on the box. Also every time the unit the TV and box stand on this will push and pull the cable. If I wiggle the cable gently I get pixelation!!!

Possibly buy a Humax box in the months ahead.

I need a nap!!!! 😴

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I just received an email from the Home Office saying that I have been granted permanent settlement status in the UK :tongue:
So now I can go to France ( when Covid is resolved) , knowing they will let me back in and carry on receiving my state pension. ^_^

Well done :laugh:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Possibly buy a Humax box in the months ahead.

I need a nap!!!! 😴

I used an outfit called Richer Sounds to buy online (they do also have shops). I have bought two smart TV's (one for my BiL), a Humax box and a couple of Sonos speakers from them. In each case, their price was the best I could find, delivery was spot on. They give an extended guarantee (6 years on the TVs and Humax box).

I am not connected to them in any way, just thought I would share it ;)

Top Bottom