The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Afternoon. The rain stopped here. Wooohoo :laugh:
It'll be back...........:rain:

pawl

Legendary Member
My biggest headache at the moment is what to do with all the money.
Spent my life scrimping and saving and now I find I'm worth over a million, taking into account property, savings and pensions, with no one to leave it to - no kids....and the nephews and nieces can whistle down the wind.
Very tempted to liquidise the lot and have a blow out for the next 20 years - by which time, I probably wouldn't give a toss and the Govt can look after me. :laugh:

Go for it Enjoy yourself I am sure all on here will always be available to assist :hyper::hyper::hyper:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm probably no different to many of our age. You don't realise how much you are actually worth until you sit down and do a proper audit.

Very true. We are far from wealthy people, we don't pay income tax and won't till Mrs P gets her state pension. So it's clear we live a modest but comfortable lifestyle.

A couple of years ago my FA told me to spend more. I asked why, she showed me a calculation of the value of my pension pot assuming modest growth over 20 years. That plus the current house value put our estate close to a million.

My FA encouraged us to spend some money. Her point was we would never be able to enjoy this million but if we don't touch my pension pot the kids would be in line for a good night out.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm probably no different to many of our age. You don't realise how much you are actually worth until you sit down and do a proper audit.
Hang on a minute...

£20 for this, £100 for that, premium bonds, bank balance, 35 year old guitar, 20 year old bikes, 3 year old laptop...

Wow, you are right - I thought the sum total would be about £3,000 but I reckon on a really good day, the surviving members of my family might be able to scrape together about...

£4,750! :okay: :laugh:

ColinJ

£20 for this, £100 for that, premium bonds, bank balance, 35 year old guitar, 20 year old bikes, 3 year old laptop...

Wow, you are right - I thought the sum total would be about £3,000 but I reckon on a really good day, the surviving members of my family might be able to scrape together

£4,750! :okay: :laugh:
Mind you, I haven't allowed for the millions that will come rolling in once my puzzle games empire has been unleashed on an unsuspecting world...! :whistle:

ColinJ

I see all traces of the mental health thread have disappeared including any old alerts if one had commented.

I find this very interesting.
I had a feeling that would happen. It could be a good sign?

I thought of asking for my incredibly long DVT thread to be pulled because most of my contributions were written when I was very depressed, and suffering from illness-induced PTSD. It all seemed pretty embarrassing once I started to recover! (I decided to leave it there though in case it helped anybody in the future. Some time later, Pat "5mph" told me that she had told an ailing friend to get checked after reading the thread, and they DID have a DVT, so some good came of it.)

Top Bottom