The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hang on a minute...

£20 for this, £100 for that, premium bonds, bank balance, 35 year old guitar, 20 year old bikes, 3 year old laptop...

Wow, you are right - I thought the sum total would be about £3,000 but I reckon on a really good day, the surviving members of my family might be able to scrape together about...

£4,750! :okay: :laugh:
I fully get where you're coming from. When our poessions are sold off I guess this would raise £10-15000. Realistically I think my bikes would be 20/25% of this value. Second-hand TV - £50?

Thing is I saved for a pension for 30+ years, paid £23k for my house now worth £400k. Theoretically we are wealthy but in reality we can never spend the £400k we live inside. I did nothing to earn this increase. I don't deserve it.

It's only paper value and means nothing till we die. In some ways a sad reflection of the world we live in.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good evening all virus dodging retirees.
It's raining nicely outside at the moment.
I have spent a lovely afternoon in the garden at the Mitre. Undercover and distanced from my mates. Got to support the governor of our best pub.
Now, after eating a Chinese takeaway we are listening to Tony Blackburn on R2. A bottle of Merlot is open and we are setting in for the evening.🍷

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have spent a lovely afternoon in the garden at the Mitre. Undercover and distanced from my mates. Got to support the governor of our best pub.
Now, after eating a Chinese takeaway we are listening to Tony Blackburn on R2. A bottle of Merlot is open and we are setting in for the evening.🍷

It is a hard life, being retired ;)

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Thing is I saved for a pension for 30+ years, paid £23k for my house now worth £400k. Theoretically we are wealthy but in reality we can never spend the £400k we live inside. I did nothing to earn this increase. I don't deserve it.

It's only paper value and means nothing till we die. In some ways a sad reflection of the world we live in.
That's one of the reasons we are thinking of selling up and renting instead.
We'd have free choice of where to live and the ability to move on anytime we wished.
Money is no use to you if it is tied up in property and you've no one to leave it to.
You could rent a very nice place for a long time with 400k...........;)

That's one of the reasons we are thinking of selling up and renting instead.
We'd have free choice of where to live and the ability to move on anytime we wished.
Money is no use to you if it is tied up in property and you've no one to leave it to.
You could rent a very nice place for a long time with 400k...........;)
Or take equity release to fund some expensive treats ?

GM

Legendary Member

Paul, do you still sit out in the Mitre if it's 45 degrees outside? :giggle:

Top Bottom