The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Let’s ban the Haggis preservation society:evil::evil:
:wacko:
Nooooo :cry:

OK - so maybe the plural is Haggis or Haggises

but what is the name for a group of them??

herd

flock

mob

murder (is that crows???)

just wondering - weather is rubbish so I've nothing else to do (don't mention the ironing)
It should be a Scots word I think. I quite like the idea of a blether of haggis. They’re quite friendly creatures I think.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like you need to run different length cranks. Someone I rode with years ago used to have to do that it was the only way he could be comfortable on the bike.
I ended up doing that on one bike, purely by coincidence!

I spotted a problem when cleaning the bike...

(For those who can't work it out - it is a square taper left crank with a seriously dodgy crack in it. Imagine standing up and sprinting, only for the crank to snap!)

I looked around in my junk box and found an old crank and put that on. I felt more comfortable on the bike and investigated. Turned out that the original cranks were 175 mm and the replacement was 170 mm.

If I could afford it I would do the same on my other bikes, but I would use (otherwise) matching cranks - it looks odd to have ones that are very different.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I ended up doing that on one bike, purely by coincidence!

I spotted a problem when cleaning the bike...

View attachment 568832

(For those who can't work it out - it is a square taper left crank with a seriously dodgy crack in it. Imagine standing up and sprinting, only for the crank to snap!)

I looked around in my junk box and found an old crank and put that on. I felt more comfortable on the bike and investigated. Turned out that the original cranks were 175 mm and the replacement was 170 mm.

If I could afford it I would do the same on my other bikes, but I would use (otherwise) matching cranks - it looks odd to have ones that are very different.
That’s a funny looking haggis! Oh, wait it’s a cycling forum innit. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Whoa!!! What do you mean a "haggis maker", you said they were real. You mean you weren't the expert I thought you were :ohmy:
Oh no these are real haggis and he sorts them into sizes and precooks them to make them customer ready. Up around the Neil Gunn monument is a favourite place for them but the hill is so steep few people are fit enough to catch them by the time they get up there.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm all in favour of trying local delicacies when ever I can. This time last year in Sydney I had a Kangaroo burger, and it was quite nice :hungry:

You mean this one?

Never had kangaroo but ostrich was quite nice tho' it never seemed to catch on.

classic33

Leg End Member
It should be a Scots word I think. I quite like the idea of a blether of haggis. They’re quite friendly creatures I think.
They sought safe refuge north o'border and look what you've done to them. Hunted to the point of extinction!

Furthermore,
In his last book before his death, Hugh Trevor-Roper, the eminent historian, wrote that the kilt's inventor was a Quaker from Lancashire.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-14-17-18-03.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-14-17-18-03.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom