The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A gait of haggis, or a stumble. West coast or east.
does it differ on clockwise and anti clockwise????

I need to know in case I meet any Americans

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like you need the appropriate heel raiser and perhaps shoe inserts. My left leg is 0.5 >0.75cm shorter than my right. It took 62 years to discover this!!!
I can see that an insert increasing the distance of the ball of my left foot from the pedal would help. The problem is that I have problems getting comfortable shoes. I finally found a pair that are comfortable but there isn't a lot of 'headroom' for the front of the foot to be lifted.

I can also see that a left heel lift would help when walking or standing but I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference on the bike because ultimately it is the front of the foot that is fixed in place - the heel is free to rise or fall when it wants to round the pedal stroke. In fact, I deliberately lower my heels between the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions when riding my singlespeed bike uphill to help me push the crank through the difficult 12 o'clock position.

From a cycling perspective I've raised my saddle 1.5cm and moved it back 1cm. I now cycle upright and my tendency to veer to the right has disappeared. This is because my seat height was always a compromise which worked for both legs. The saddle was too low for the right leg meaning when I pushed hard the bike would veer right as I put slightly more power down on that side.
I can experiment with saddle height on most of my bikes but my best bike is the one that I do most of my long rides on and I messed up with that one... Despite knowing the risk of corrosion between my titanium seatpost and aluminium frame, I forget to put Copaslip on. I now have a permanently fixed saddle height on that bike! :blush: (Fortunately, that height is pretty good for me, though I would have liked to have experimented by a few mm up/down.) I don't fancy risking destruction of the frame trying to loosen the post. It hasn't been moved for about 6 or 7 years so I don't think it will safely move no matter how hard I try.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We had kangaroo steak in Australia, I thought it was lovely.

Also had guanaco steak in Peru. Now that was nice. :hungry: :hungry:

xx(

Top Bottom