The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I have bimbled this morning, 50 miles, only my second ride of the year and my first ride of any distance, my short route out to Hatton, then the long scenic route back. A cold grey morning with a stiff breeze. It was slow and hard but an enjoyable mornings cycling, only slightly spoilt by a puncture, I noticed they were starting to cut the hedges on Holly Lane Balsall Common when I rode down it on the way out, and avoided it on the way back, and there were several lanes that had had their hedges cut. I'd just ridden through the outskirts of Henley In Arden and I noticed the front tyre had gone soft, I'd just turned toward Hockley Heath and it went down completely so I recon I've picked up a thorn, I'll find out when I patch the tube.So it was nice to get out, but I'll have to start doing it more often.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I am a broken man. Rode 50 miles yesterday and 53 this morning. Too much, the body isn't ready for back to back rides.......yet. Middle of shoulders aches and the quads are complaining.

On the bright side we did a decent flat distance through quiet lanes which are a lot cleaner after all the rain. Stopped at a favourite bakery for coffee and hot sausage roll. Disaster!!! The sausage rolls weren't ready!!! ☹️ "Oh no" I hear you say but fear not I've discovered they do the most wonderful cheese and ham mini quiche. 😋😋

D

Deleted member 1258

I am a broken man. Rode 50 miles yesterday and 53 this morning. Too much, the body isn't ready for back to back rides.......yet. Middle of shoulders aches and the quads are complaining.

On the bright side we did a decent flat distance through quiet lanes which are a lot cleaner after all the rain. Stopped at a favourite bakery for coffee and hot sausage roll. Disaster!!! The sausage rolls weren't ready!!! ☹ "Oh no" I hear you say but fear not I've discovered they do the most wonderful cheese and ham mini quiche. 😋😋

Todays 50 miles was my first ride at that distance since 22 December and only my second ride of this year, I'm expecting to be very stiff tomorrow.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Todays 50 miles was my first ride at that distance since 22 December and only my second ride of this year, I'm expecting to be very stiff tomorrow.
Well I hope not but you're probably right. I expected to be tired but not to hurt.

Cancelled my cardio class for tonight. :ohmy:

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

On the bright side we did a decent flat distance through quiet lanes which are a lot cleaner after all the rain. Stopped at a favourite bakery for coffee and hot sausage roll. Disaster!!! The sausage rolls weren't ready!!! ☹ "Oh no" I hear you say but fear not I've discovered they do the most wonderful cheese and ham mini quiche. 😋😋

Steady, the Covid Stasi will be after you for having a picnic, and, I hope you did not go more than 7 miles from home ;) I promise I will not copy a link into "the other place" ;)

12boy

Guru
Hope that numbnnuts, screenman and Monkers are ok. You three please phone home!
Cool today and breezy with snow possible. Not bad for Jan. A ride should be in order. I will stick with studded tires for the nonce. Always wanted to use nonce in a sentence. Good to have achievable goals. And big fat flakes are wafting down.
I read an interesting article from the NY Times indicating the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are very effective. It was heartening to read a positive spin. Felt a little goofy for a couple of days after my first vaccine, but that seems to be gone now. Next one is Feb 11. Never liked restaurants so much, especially corporate chain ones, but now I do hanker after going to my faves every so often.
Be well and happy.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Chapeaux to Dave R & PaulSB. First ride of the year yesterday, managed a measly 10 miles, seemed to be struggling. It's only when I slowed down freewheeling down hill I knew I had a problem. The front wheel was very stiff and hardly turning so needs a bit of fettling, thought it might be the brakes as I've just bled the discs but they seem okay so I think it might need some new bearings :sad:

Top Bottom