The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
2009 was the last time we had a longish winter as far as I can recall. This is all round my village.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
About the concrete thing...dry stream beds in the southwest are called arroyos, and are known for being extremely dangerous when thunderstorms cause flash flooding.. in Albuquerque New Mexico and also in Los Angeles are huge concrete "riverbeds" designed to handle those flash floods. Mighty ugly, too.
It always seems so odd to me that as far north as you are you so warm. In many ways snow is easier for me to deal with than rain.

I remember seeing those concrete rivers around LA. I'd rather have snow than rain, it's a lot more fun!!

classic33

Leg End Member
About the concrete thing...dry stream beds in the southwest are called arroyos, and are known for being extremely dangerous when thunderstorms cause flash flooding.. in Albuquerque New Mexico and also in Los Angeles are huge concrete "riverbeds" designed to handle those flash floods. Mighty ugly, too.
It always seems so odd to me that as far north as you are you so warm. In many ways snow is easier for me to deal with than rain.
We've the Gulf Stream to thank for being warmer this far north.

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-gulf-stream-seas-hotter-florida.html

As for houses flooding, permitting building on what have been flood plains for decades, money made by allowing the developments, means it'll continue.

We'd a local engineering workshop that was built with flooding in mind. No electrics coming up to the machinery, all built on purpose built raised concrete plinths. All movement, when flooded, was via boards.

There's houses on the site now, built below the normal level of the river.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They had that kind of thing in hillside villages above Benidorm on the Costa Blanca in Spain, where I used to go for an annual cycling holiday. I remember reading that an outdoor market had been set up in one of those dried up beds in the village of Finestrat... THIS was the tragic outcome! :sad:

It is because of the warmth we get from the Gulf Stream. Without that we would probably have winters as cold as Russia or Canada!

PS Beaten by @classic33 while I was typing!

Drago

Legendary Member
It was sleeting as i was driving home at 5am. I was physically achy, tired, driving in crap weather, and very glad I was cossetted in an XC90 and not a Fiesta (nothing against Festers, just at that moment in time the big brick came into its own).

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning. You're all still here then? :laugh:

I had a day off from social media yesterday. Sometimes it's nice to have a break. Doubt I have missed anything exciting if everyone's lives are as exciting as mine at the moment!

Just reading on Facebook that one of the local bin lorry drivers has died of Covid. If it's the one I'm thinking of he was massively overweight which wouldn't have given him much of a fighting chance :sad:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A good Good Morning to all. When I woke around 5.00am the sky was clearing now it's dark and raining. A shame as I have club kit to deliver to members and was thinking of doing this on my bike. It can wait a day or so.

I've found a Cannondale CAAD10 (2016) which is a bargain. Also need to ride out to see it as the fit is 50/50. Think I'll probably take it anyway as it may fit No 3 son who wants to get in to riding. If not the price is such I can easily get my money back.

See you soon. Stay safe.

:hello:

D

Deleted member 1258

Top Bottom