The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning. You're all still here then? :laugh:

I had a day off from social media yesterday. Sometimes it's nice to have a break. Doubt I have missed anything exciting if everyone's lives are as exciting as mine at the moment!

Just reading on Facebook that one of the local bin lorry drivers has died of Covid. If it's the one I'm thinking of he was massively overweight which wouldn't have given him much of a fighting chance :sad:
Nice to "hear" from you Mo.......MrsD was getting concerned. All us old farts were.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning folks,

Not a lot to do today, the weather is rubbish with high winds and rain. I will install Microsoft Teams on Mrs Tenkay's laptop as tomorrow she has an online meeting with the local Walk Leaders group. This group was founded by the local council several years ago as a " Walking for Health" initiative. There were walks on most days of the week from various locations in the Poole area. Mrs Tenkay and I went to a couple and found them enjoyable. As the popularity grew there was a need for more walk leaders, the council arranged a free "Walk Leaders" course to help fill the demand, and Mrs Tenkay volunteered.
I ended up as a regular, and met some fascinating people, some recently bereaved people, some who's only social interaction was the chats they had on the walks and some using it as a springboard for other activities. Our local walk ended up with about 20 people, we'd finish off in the Church hall for coffee and cake afterwards.
There was some talk of a socially distanced walk but the practicalities just didn't pan out.

Have a peaceful day folks

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well. Today is the day Trump is booted out, but will Biden and the Democrats be any better, fairer, less in the pockets of big business, less out for themselves and what they can get, or will they make sure everyone knows they are in power, just like today when they are drafting thousands of troops into the Capital under the guise of keeping the peace. Isn't that what the police are for? Since when have troops been deployed the the streets of a city in America.

Times they are a changing as they say. Any good programmes on today ? :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well. Today is the day Trump is booted out, but will Biden and the Democrats be any better, fairer, less in the pockets of big business, less out for themselves and what they can get, or will they make sure everyone knows they are in power, just like today when they are drafting thousands of troops into the Capital under the guise of keeping the peace. Isn't that what the police are for? Since when have troops been deployed the the streets of a city in America.

You can watch the inauguration from 4 to 6 :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Could be if the local rednecks get going in DC...........N

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Its grim here dismal and wet . So in an idle moment I have carried out some customisation
<<<<<. It is Mrs Kog’s and my niece name for me . I don’t understand why . I always have a positive view on life , a naturally sunny disposition. I’m one life‘s optimists always look on the bright side. In fact I’m a joy to be with. So I’m totally bewildered why my nearest and dearest would call me that horrible name.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aaaaaaargh, what time is it?!!!

Just woken up by a persistent caller from an unknown number. I was too tired to think straight otherwise I would have remembered that I am supposed to answer such calls now in case they are about competition wins.

I had a young woman ring me up a few years ago from a magazine and I was quite short with her. I thought she was trying to sell me a subscription. After some banter she finally got me to identify myself and then cheerfully announced that she had a large cardboard box on her desk containing my prize. It was a music synthesiser workstation worth £1,800!

A similar thing happened a few years later, prize £2,000 in cash.

I looked up the number, just in case... A GP surgery in Worthing! I don't know anyone who lives near there and they will not have any prizes for me (Covid-19 jab? :whistle:) so it must have been a wrong number.

That leaves me in the twilight zone. It is too late to go back to sleep but too early to feel rested. (Lights out 05:15 and nearly 06:00 before I went to sleep.)

It is still raining heavily here. I might go and pick up a Metro and some milk and check the river level. We have a flood alert in the valley and if it carries on like this the poor folk in the at-risk zones will get hit again. I could not take being flooded every 2 or 3 years!

I will have to have a snooze later to catch up on my sleep.

Oh, yes it is finally de-Trumping day in the USA! I really hope that the FBI have vetted those troops in Washington effectively. It could take only one suicidal QAnon nutter with an assault rifle to trigger a civil war over there. There are more guns than people so they wouldn't exactly have to fight with baseball bats and knives...

classic33

Leg End Member
Aaaaaaargh, what time is it?!!!

Just woken up by a persistent caller from an unknown number. I was too tired to think straight otherwise I would have remembered that I am supposed to answer such calls now in case they are about competition wins.

I had a young woman ring me up a few years ago from a magazine and I was quite short with her. I thought she was trying to sell me a subscription. After some banter she finally got me to identify myself and then cheerfully announced that she had a large cardboard box on her desk containing my prize. It was a music synthesiser workstation worth £1,800!

A similar thing happened a few years later, prize £2,000 in cash.

I looked up the number, just in case... A GP surgery in Worthing! I don't know anyone who lives near there and they will not have any prizes for me (Covid-19 jab? :whistle:) so it must have been a wrong number.

That leaves me in the twilight zone. It is too late to go back to sleep but too early to feel rested. (Lights out 05:15 and nearly 06:00 before I went to sleep.)

It is still raining heavily here. I might go and pick up a Metro and some milk and check the river level. We have a flood alert in the valley and if it carries on like this the poor folk in the at-risk zones will get hit again. I could not take being flooded every 2 or 3 years!

I will have to have a snooze later to catch up on my sleep.

Oh, yes it is finally de-Trumping day in the USA! I really hope that the FBI have vetted those troops in Washington effectively. It could take only one suicidal QAnon nutter with an assault rifle to trigger a civil war over there. There are more guns than people so they wouldn't exactly have to fight with baseball bats and knives...
You bought another copy of Metro with the £2,000 you'd won and sold the synthesiser.

Adding, it's 1120 UTC by the way

Last edited:
Top Bottom