The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Still sleety stuff here. Tomorrow looks drier but very overcast and dismal.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They're talking about Beavers on Winter watch :ohmy:
There hasn't been any fopars yet when talking about Gillians --------:ohmy:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Oh God! Don't mention these people. I have wasted hours with the HMRC today. I'm owed £431 after my pension provider deducted tax. I understand why, no problem with this.

I have a self-assessment account which I can access via Government Gateway. I can log in there either with my Gateway ID or via the Experian ID service.........

........BUT I cannot claim a refund under self-assessment and need to set up a Personal Tax Account. I don't know why it's what HMRC have told me today.

So I made four attempts to create a PTA. I can't because HMRC cannot verify who I am. One question which I cannot answer and is partly why I cannot be verified:

When did you last take out a mobile phone contract?

Less than 1 year ago
1-2 years ago
3-5 years ago

I have NEVER held a mobile phone contract but there's no option for this!!!! I have a SIM only contract but that doesn't count.

Five hours today and then gave up. Went for a 4 mile walk in the rain. Compared to talking to HMRC this was delightful.
I can sympathise. After she retired, Mrs @BoldonLad had two years of hell with HMRC. It came to a head when, on the same day, 4 different notices of coding arrived in the post, along with a demand for approximately £2000 in supposedly unpaid tax. At this point, I involved our MP, giving him copies of two years of correspondence and my calculations of what I thought was the real position. About a month later, she received a cheque for approximately £1000, which HMRC owed her.

They (HMRC) are abysmal.

Clearly, no lessons were learned.

D

Deleted member 1258

Well I'm finishing the day as I started, in bed on Cycle Chat on my tablet, I've watched a wildlife programme and two episodes of Star Trek discovery tonight, its weird watching Spock being played by a different actor. The weather has changed to wet and warm, still plenty of slush about though.

Top Bottom