The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Just discovered my Brompton has got a slow puncture on the back wheel, that'll keep me busy for a while! :smile:

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Had a wander to the Co-op for a few things. At least 70% of shoppers walking against the direction arrows then the woman behind me comes within a couple of feet and starts loading her shopping. I held my tongue as I find it hard to say anything, but also have a quick temper if she had complained so best just to ignore.
I got that a few times ( think because your'e old some people think you're a pushover). I sometimes get a shopping trolley and walk in front of it and unload , I use it as a buffer at checkout to stop anybody pushing into my space. I know how you feel cause it happened to me

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... and got a long stick with a sock on it to purge the hoses of large wads of doghair and other gross stuff. Seems to work ok now.
I might give that a go!

I reckon that the smell of dog would still appear even if I disconnect the hose though. I think there might be some filters somewhere inside the vac which might be replaceable.

Incidentally... I hoovered up some moths once and didn't get round to changing the vac bag for a couple of months. When I finally did, I discovered that the bag was heaving with them - they had obviously been breeding away happily in the fluff! :eek:

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Just read this on an Irish news site "

AstraZeneca is already in the sights of the European Commission after it was revealed that it could miss its contracted deliveries of the vaccine to EU countries by as much as 60% in the first quarter of this year.

Now, the company has rubbished a news report quoting unnamed government sources in Germany that claimed the its Covid-19 vaccine showed little efficacy for people above 65.

The German government has also rubbished the claims, which appear to be based on a reporter’s error, but there remains concern about the approval of the vaccine in the EU.

The EMA is set to decide on the use of the vaccine this week and a separate German newspaper is reporting that the vaccine may not be approved for people aged over 65. " FFS

I am waiting in for a delivery from Amazon. It isn't that I would be doing much otherwise except nipping out for a paper and some shopping, but I hate hanging about waiting for other people. The 2 hour delivery window has slipped a couple of times, but....

Hang on - an alert just told me it is just 8 stops away - yay! :okay:
I like the ones that let me watch them as they get closer and closer and then spot them as they pull into the road

I should probably get out more

ColinJ

I think the Amazon guy has fallen asleep... the van is apparently STILL 8 stops away! Ooh, now - 7... (Will this Covid-lockdown excitement never cease!)

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hello the house.
That fatigue shite thing (sh*t for Mo) hit me about 11.30 so I crawled into bed. Just woke up and have to say I feel better.
Raining here.... and quite dark.
Some good news for us is that auntie has been transferred from hospital to a respite home with physio. Poor old girl has been shipped around so many wards plus another respite home since early October.
Such is life

12boy

Guru
There was a Chevy model called "Nova" which wouldn't sell in the Spanish speaking countries because "No Va" means "it won't go" in Spanish. Que pasa?
Temps today -10C to -6C. Being a sissy, I am finding walking around in the snow and ice slow and much more work than being able to stride along with good traction. I would like to hit 3 mph, though. Today I will walk downtown, hit the library and pick up a paper for Mrs 12, and perhaps a few books.
Dave r, best wishes for Mrs D. I hope you get her back soon.
Is calling an arrogant, aggressive racist lady who gets phone videod (is videod a word?) in the act of going off on someone a Karen over there? Mrs 12 has been seeing a lot of these and I wish she wouldn't, as they make her upset. Perhaps there have always been these incidents but they sure are popping up here a lot.
Be well and safe.....

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just had a look at the Fulgaz app, looks interesting and quite reasonable as you and Rover have said. The only downside what I can see is the camera angle on the group rides seems low, feels like you're riding a recumbent. I'll look into it more when I get my man cave set up. Thanks for the heads up!

My ride around the Forth Bridge was almost certainly filmed on a "GoPro" The camera was mounted at the centre of the handlebars of a road bike. The cyclist also indicated when making turns.
I've not morphed into Sherlock Holmes, there were shadows cast onto the road when the sun was behind the rider^_^:becool::becool:

ColinJ

I like the ones that let me watch them as they get closer and closer and then spot them as they pull into the road

I should probably get out more
Ha ha - I was just doing (and thinking) the same thing!

The blob jumped around a bit which made me think the van was moving, but I reckon it was GPS jitter while the van was stationary and the driver was delivering some of the parcels.

There are an awful lot of deliveries being made... 8 parcels in 15 minutes within 3 small streets round here!

Anyway 2/3 of my books are now here. The quick crosswords book (turns out to be very slow :laugh:) and has been delayed until Saturday but I have the very interesting-looking guide to read - 'How To Crack Cryptic Crosswords'. That will keep me busy for a while.

Is calling an arrogant, aggressive racist lady who gets phone videod (is videod a word?) in the act of going off on someone a Karen over there? Mrs 12 has been seeing a lot of these and I wish she wouldn't, as they make her upset.
Yes, I've seen lots of them too. I posted about them a few weeks ago.

There was an infamous video of one young woman with a dog (in Central Park?) who phoned the police and said that a(n) (very calm and polite) African American man (who was actually standing well clear of her) was threatening her. The way she reported the incident put him at risk of being attacked by the police when they got there!

PS She eventually got fired. The company that had employed her didn't like the negative publicity coming their way...

D

Deleted member 1258

I spent an hour this afternoon walking around Coventry's memorial Park in the rain, the temperature this afternoon made 5 degree's.

Top Bottom