The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I once tried a 48 x 19 66 inch gear and couldn't get on with it, I found it slow and hard work, I'm on 165 cranks and I don't think I had enough leverage.
All my cycling is slow and hard work :laugh: . I was on 48 x19 with 170 cranks before swapping to 47 . On gears I’m on 175 cranks . My summer bike has complete Dura ace with 180 cranks .Before you all start muttering show off. It’s over 20 years old 9 speed and I’m the third owner of the bike. Dave I’m concerned where’s Mr Ted going to sit .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I once tried a 48 x 19 66 inch gear and couldn't get on with it, I found it slow and hard work, I'm on 165 cranks and I don't think I had enough leverage.
All my cycling is slow and hard work :laugh: . I was on 48 x19 with 170 cranks before swapping to 47 . On gears I’m on 175 cranks . My summer bike has complete Dura ace with 180 cranks .Before you all start muttering show off. It’s over 20 years old 9 speed and I’m the third owner of the bike. Dave I’m concerned where’s Mr Ted going to sit .
I've got 52/19 on my singlespeed and 175 mm cranks. I find it just high enough a gear on flat roads. Any lower and it feels too spinny for me. (My preferred cadence is about 90 rpm. I can do 100 rpm for a while but it annoys me. Very short blasts of 120 rpm are all I want to do.)

It is a bit of a high gear for climbing though! 5% is okay but a few hundred metres at 10% is about my limit, and any steeper than that is a walk unless it is short enough to sprint up.

I should really learn about gears
Obviously I have had bikes with gears for many decades but I have never needed to know what they are

I just knew I normally pedalled in 8th
7th or even 6th on a hill
9th or even 10th on fast downhill
if it was damn hilly or there was a bad headwind I went to the lower cog on the front gear thingy and did whatever
and if I hit 10th I could do over 30 because a couple of time when I was a teenager I passed cars and looked at their speedo on the way past
(male teenager - what could possibly go wrong????)

anyway - never knew what the gears were because I knew nothing about bike clubs and there was no WWW so I just rode the thing
mostly alone - because I'm me

but recently I wore out my gears on my newish ebike and the LBS replaced the chain and cassette (???) with shimano stuff and now it feels much smoother - but different - maybe I spend more time in 5th rather than 4th like before - but then I 'm going faster - so am I fitter???? (don't tell my wife - she will die laughing and funerals are expensive!!!!!)

when the weather gets warmer and less rainy I will have to look properly at the gears and probably do something extreme like counting the spikey bits

I should also probably drop my normal ebike assist level to the minimum and see what happens - can;t be that bad because I did it in the summer once to drop speed and stay behind a family on a tow path - and left it there for 3 days before I realised when I went up a big steep hill

D

Deleted member 1258

Mr ted can join the spotty dogs on the big settee.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I should really learn about gears
Obviously I have had bikes with gears for many decades but I have never needed to know what they are

I just knew I normally pedalled in 8th
7th or even 6th on a hill
9th or even 10th on fast downhill
if it was damn hilly or there was a bad headwind I went to the lower cog on the front gear thingy and did whatever
and if I hit 10th I could do over 30 because a couple of time when I was a teenager I passed cars and looked at their speedo on the way past
(male teenager - what could possibly go wrong????)

anyway - never knew what the gears were because I knew nothing about bike clubs and there was no WWW so I just rode the thing
mostly alone - because I'm me

but recently I wore out my gears on my newish ebike and the LBS replaced the chain and cassette (???) with shimano stuff and now it feels much smoother - but different - maybe I spend more time in 5th rather than 4th like before - but then I 'm going faster - so am I fitter???? (don't tell my wife - she will die laughing and funerals are expensive!!!!!)

when the weather gets warmer and less rainy I will have to look properly at the gears and probably do something extreme like counting the spikey bits

I should also probably drop my normal ebike assist level to the minimum and see what happens - can;t be that bad because I did it in the summer once to drop speed and stay behind a family on a tow path - and left it there for 3 days before I realised when I went up a big steep hill

I can promise being in a cycling club is only a marginal help. In fact can be a hindrance as folk assume one has knowledge. I just ride in a gear which doesn't hurt my legs. I always ride on the small ring through winter.

Been there done that - frequently as I usually can't remember. When I get the "is that a 32 on the back?" question I usually say "yes" and have another check when I get home!!!! 🤣

Two good friends and regular ride buddies are hugely interested in their "numbers." It's mind blowing and almost impossible to follow! They know I haven't a clue but still tell me all about it. When they find a new podcast and take a new approach I just take the piss!!!! 🤣

I have a very low HR by comparison to my buddies. Before this winter I got a friendly bollocking over speed and was told everyone was going to ride on HR. OK I said. While this was going on and we rode on their HR I was down to 95-100, if I pushed to my desired 128-130 I dropped them!! Friggin' nightmare. 🤣

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've read the gender thread. It's gonna be a goodie. I've learned two new words "micturition" and "cisgender" - I'm looking forward to dropping these in to a conversation!!

I see possibilities. The pensioners are known for the quality of their pee stops. In future I shall refer to these as micturition opportunities.

Foolishly I have commented.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Square eyes. Just watched the whole first series of The Bay just to get up to date again before starting the new series. I think I had seen it but couldn’t remember much so still enjoyed it.
I can do this, it's great. I so frequently fall asleep watching telly I can watch a whole series again without a clue I've seen it before. Magic!!

Though Mrs P doesn't agree 🤣🤣

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
I've read the gender thread. It's gonna be a goodie. I've learned two new words "micturition" and "cisgender" - I'm looking forward to dropping these in to a conversation!!

I see possibilities. The pensioners are known for the quality of their pee stops. In future I shall refer to these as micturition opportunities.

Foolishly I have commented.
Are you taking the p*ss ! ( dont know if I can insert the i some sites are hyper sensitive to certain words )

Top Bottom