The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I managed a short bimble this morning, scenic route to Meriden and back, rode 25 miles. Waited till the carer had bean and my Good lady had moved to the sofa, made sure she was happy about me going out, made her a cuppa, brought her the biscuit barrel and was on my way. Out of Coventry through Allesly, up Harvest Hill lane, across the Meriden road, down Kinwalsey lane and then left onto the Maxwell road to ride into the outskirts of Meriden, then right on the roundabout towards the A45 then turned down the path down the side of the golf course onto to Hampton lane then left on the roundabout and up Cornets End lane, right towards Berwswell and a regular route home down Cromwell lane Tile hill. A lovely morning for a bike ride, cold at first but warming up nicely as the morning wore on. One thing of interest, as you ride into Coventry on Hodgetts lane, on the right in a field is a Maglev carriage from the old Maglev railway at Birmingham Airport, aparently the fella paid a hundred pounds for it at auction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-13872105

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/63607463

Last edited by a moderator:

postman

Legendary Member
Well I didnt watch the train wreck last night. They have done their worst now so hopefully they will ride off into the sunset and shut up now.

In other news, looks like rain is on the way. Far more important than the muppets :laugh:
It's a pity they cannot take all the z listers in the newspapers with them.

pawl

Legendary Member
I managed a short bimble this morning, scenic route to Meriden and back, rode 25 miles. Waited till the carer had bean and my Good lady had moved to the sofa, made sure she was happy about me going out, made her a cuppa, brought her the biscuit barrel and was on my way. Out of Coventry through Allesly, up Harvest Hill lane, across the Meriden road, down Kinwalsey lane and then left onto the Maxwell road to ride into the outskirts of Meriden, then right on the roundabout towards the A45 then turned down the path down the side of the golf course onto to Hampton lane then left on the roundabout and up Cornets End lane, right towards Berwswell and a regular route home down Cromwell lane Tile hill. A lovely morning for a bike ride, cold at first but warming up nicely as the morning wore on. One thing of interest, as you ride into Coventry on Hodgetts lane, on the right in a field is a Maglev carriage from the old Maglev railway at Birmingham Airport, aparently the fella paid a hundred pounds for it at auction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-13872105

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/63607463

Bet it felt good to be out Had a potter round my 16 mile rout Sunny but the breeze was a bit chilly
Weather looks a bit iffy for the rest of the week.I was hoping to get out a bit more this week.Only done a hundred miles so far this year:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just remembered there’s a young lad only just opened some sort of bike shop up the town, presumably for repairs. Should have walked down that way on my route home to have a look. Last one that tried didn’t last.
In my area if someone new opens up he/she will get a lot of business if service and workmanship is up to scratch.

The thing to avoid is being cheap. Charge realistic prices so one can take on a sensible level of work. One local LBS near us is ridiculously cheap. It gets a huge amount of custom to the point whereby he sleeps at the shop on occasions.

His problem is being cheap attracts business, quality of service drops, workmanship drops and people become unhappy. Everyone I know who used to go there has stopped because word spreads rapidly when things go wrong.

Personally I never let him near my bikes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Bet it felt good to be out Had a potter round my 16 mile rout Sunny but the breeze was a bit chilly
Weather looks a bit iffy for the rest of the week.I was hoping to get out a bit more this week.Only done a hundred miles so far this year:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

It did, felt very good, but I couldn't relax, I rode half expecting a call from home resulting in cutting the ride short, it didn't happen but it was in the back of my mind, I've done less than 200 miles this year, normally I'd be approaching 700-800 miles by this time.

12boy

Guru
Tosheroon is a word I learned from Sir Terry Pratchett in "The Word". I does love my Pratchett.
I am with the Frankie Lane folks, although many were the car ride with my sons when they were little, bellowing out that great song which begins with...."Down in the west Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl. Nightime would find me at Rosa's cantina. Guitars would play and Felina would twirl." We also would joyfully howl another favorite ,"Blue Moon."
Dave r, so glad to hear you got a ride in. I will run downtown with some liberry (how its said round here) books and to get Sheri's weekly paper. When my wife started chemo 4 years ago and she felt bad about how little she was doing and how much I was, we agreed if I could have 2 hours a day to bike or some kind of workout or tinkering time I could deal with the situation indefinitely. This worked out well because my daily endorphin dose made me less cranky and she enjoyed a little time by herself to do whatever she wanted. Caregivers gotta recharge too.
On her doctor visit yesterday, the Doc said her markers were good, her frequent spells of feeling yucky were due to one of her meds not cancer, , and she could need another draining of lung fluid. Thursday we will do that and until it returns she will have more energy and not be as short of breath. The draining is very quick, painless and she can have it done when needed without a downside.
Well, as we used to say in '68, " keep on truckin" and stay safe.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

dave r good to hear you got a ride in . Hope your Coventry weather was as good as my Hertfordshire weather today, warm bright and sunny. Ride yesterday 36 miles ,shattered when I got home . If my fitness doesn’t improve I might have to start riding a bike with one of those new fangled derailing devices :cry:.
The photo is from yesterdays ride , I think it’s a great name for a Lane.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@12boy I do enjoy how some of your posts send me off to learn stuff. I had no idea what a "tosheroon" is but hey ho.

After a bit of reading I discovered Terry Pratchett uses the word in his books. This is great because he clearly knew the word and decided to give it a whole new, and much better, meaning!!!

A tosheroon is archaic English for one of our pre-decimal coins - the half-crown. In case you're not familiar £ = 20 shillings, a crown = 5 shillings and a half-crown = 2 shillings and 6 pence (that's old pennies, not decimal).

A "tosher" was someone who would go scavenging in the Victorian London sewers. What they collected became known as "tosh." In modern English tosh = old rubbish.

Lesson time is over folks. I really enjoyed discovering this.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It did, felt very good, but I couldn't relax, I rode half expecting a call from home resulting in cutting the ride short, it didn't happen but it was in the back of my mind, I've done less than 200 miles this year, normally I'd be approaching 700-800 miles by this time.
That's certainly much more than me. I have only done 50 kms this year due to bad weather and too many trips to potholes county. Hopefully, now that spring is on the horizon and the fact that I should be able to bring my bike and ride between the potholes next time. my mileage should improve.

Top Bottom