The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Mr WD is looking at the Inside of my washing machine. He can't find anything wrong with it at the moment.
What's it doing that you don't want it doing, or not doing what it's supposed to.

Is the locking washer on the drum spindle still in place?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mr WD is looking at the Inside of my washing machine. He can't find anything wrong with it at the moment.
Far be it for members of the forum to speculate on @welsh dragon undergarments 🤔. However, it’s not uncommon for a “ bra wire “ to come adrift and lodge between the inner and outer drums. As I mentioned, it probably doesn’t apply in this instance as whalebone stays aren’t as susceptible.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well as well as the Really loud sound, it's now making a noise like something is rubbing against something else now. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
The whining could be a worn/stretched belt, dirty pulley and or drive. Either of which can cause the belt to slip.

The knocking, either that's it's knees, afraid that you may get rid of it, or, there's one of those gremlins trapped inside it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Rond 2. Another like and prod Inside the machine and still he can't see bugger al wrong with it.

I may need to just buy some ear protectors :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always switch my laptop off rather than closing the lid. Mrs P is the opposite. She is often found cursing her laptop. I simply press the on/off button and mine fires up every time.
Booting modern laptops is a lot quicker than it used to be, but it still takes a lot longer than coming out of sleep. Hang on, I'll time mine...

Sleep -> ready: less than 2 seconds to get back here.
Off -> ready (including typing password, relaunching apps): 42 seconds to get back here

Once or twice a day, those extra 40 seconds would be trivial, but I have my laptop next to me and am constantly starting it up to Google things etc. 30 (say) x 40 seconds = 20 minutes, which would be an annoying amount of time typing in 'ColinJ = Lord of the Laptop 2567*&)^^^'*** and staring at a boot screen! I often want the information in a hurry, for example if someone on the phone has just asked me a question. 40+ seconds unnecessary delay each time would be a pain.

It's like dial-up vs broadband. We used to put up with webpages that took 30-60 seconds to load but now we expect them to load in 1 second or less.

*** Not my real password! :laugh:

Overall I feel lid closing does the machine no good at all.
Apart from wearing out the hinges, it should not cause any problems EXCEPT if the laptop has a HDD (mechanical storage device) as opposed to a modern SSD (non-mechanical). My niece used to slam the lid down on her laptop and immediately chuck it to one side while Windows was saving its state to the HDD. I warned her that HDDs can be vulnerable to shock while in use but she ignored me. A week later she destroyed the HDD by doing just that. My laptop is SSD-only so I can close the lid and dump the device on the sofa next to me without any risk to it.

Top Bottom