The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Morning all, I’ve just taken voluntary redundancy and will be taking early retirement, after48 years of work, I finish work at the end of this month.
Looking forward to it actually
I am sure I will be contributing to these pages over the coming years.
See you later

Great to hear Dave, it takes a little while to become “ deprogrammed “ and adapt to retirement.
They’re a friendly bunch here ( mostly ) 😋, just try to resist the Siren call of Welshie's Bloomers.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Great to hear Dave, it takes a little while to become “ deprogrammed “ and adapt to retirement.
They’re a friendly bunch here ( mostly ) 😋, just try to resist the Siren call of Welshie's Bloomers.
Hang on !!!! Another Dave:wacko: I think the legal limit is 15. How many are we up to now ??

Tenkaykev

Guru
On a completely different topic, I'm a keen watcher of Rocket launches ( I'm sure Mr Freud would have had something to say about that ) and usually tune in to watch the SpaceX launches and landings. I have the Starlink satellite tracking page bookmarked, ( https://satellitemap.space/ ) and take a look from time to time to see the current deployments as the satellites are manoeuvred into final orbit.

They're usually launched in batches of 60 into a "Parking orbit" before being boosted up to their final altitude of about 550km. It costs fuel to attain final orbit and there's a limited amount available on board each individual satellite, this is needed from time to time to boost them back up as the orbit decays, and to manoeuvre "sideways" to the desired location in the constellation. It was only recently that I realised that to save fuel they boost a few of each batch at a time into final orbit, then simply wait for the earth to rotate to the optimum position before boosting the next batch, and so on until they are all deployed. Ain't Science clever!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's an interesting look back at the trend in baby names when our generation were being born.
I've noticed a resurgence of "old fashioned" names in young children, as well as some some novel names ( Our granddaughter has a couple of friends named Agnes and Brie )
My kids are named after apostles, not deliberately we like the names. Agree there are many interesting names around. On our row we have Logan, Lincoln, Jude (arrived yesterday) and Rowan.

I know of a recently arrived Hilda. Many years ago I knew an Agnes but she was French and so was Agnés. A very different and rather lovely pronunciation - she was married to a Dave. God these Daves, they pop up everywhere!!!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning. It is a glorious day in Lancashire. Well it is glorious every day but we have sun as well.

I've had a shoot sleep. Well I say sleep, that would be an exaggeration. This morning we have dentist, optician, ALDI dash and at 1.00pm a webinar on how to use Komoot. Later I will doze....... assuming I make it that far without falling asleep!!

Did I mention the price of haircuts? Went on Tuesday and noted my barber has put prices up to £10 from £7. It used to be possible to get an OK cut for £5 at several other barbers but I was always happy to pay extra.

The OAP price is now £8 and I'm pleased to say I had to tell the young man I qualify!! I had "the works" on Tuesday, hair, beard, eyebrows, ears etc. for £15 and I'm still enjoying it.

Don't begrudge the increase as they've had an awful 12 months but it's a big jump.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Morning all, I’ve just taken voluntary redundancy and will be taking early retirement, after48 years of work, I finish work at the end of this month.
Looking forward to it actually
I am sure I will be contributing to these pages over the coming years.
See you later

Welcome to the loony bin.:hello:

Dave7

Legendary Member
My (our) day, today.
Carer has just been. Don't really need them 1st thing but have been advised not to cancel just yet.
Forecast tells me its +1° but the heavy frost says different.
Have to walk around to pick car up after its service, collect aunties pension then get MrsDs supplement drinks from the chemist.
Ohh yes....
I put a loaf on to bake at 0630.....should make a nice lunch.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good morning. It is a glorious day in Lancashire. Well it is glorious every day but we have sun as well.

I've had a shoot sleep. Well I say sleep, that would be an exaggeration. This morning we have dentist, optician, ALDI dash and at 1.00pm a webinar on how to use Komoot. Later I will doze....... assuming I make it that far without falling asleep!!

Did I mention the price of haircuts? Went on Tuesday and noted my barber has put prices up to £10 from £7. It used to be possible to get an OK cut for £5 at several other barbers but I was always happy to pay extra.

The OAP price is now £8 and I'm pleased to say I had to tell the young man I qualify!! I had "the works" on Tuesday, hair, beard, eyebrows, ears etc. for £15 and I'm still enjoying it.

Don't begrudge the increase as they've had an awful 12 months but it's a big jump.
After the last lockdown I gave the hairdresser a fiver tip.
I asked how she had gone on and she said "great, its been an extended paid holiday" :wacko:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Another nice sunny day with no wind. Temp at 5C now and rising. Need to shift the sensor to somewhere better as the sun on it gives a false impression.
Nothing planned but will just need to attempt to get some gardening done. Too early yet to get the wildflower meadow seeds in. Problem there is how to stop the House Sparrows from getting in and scoffing the lot before they germinate.
Got an email from SiL in Denmark where they appear to be a bit less restrictive on travel. She also has what appears to be a kind of "covid passport" which allows her access to various places. After many years living in Denmark her english is a bit strange sometimes and needs some interpretation so cannot be sure exactly what she means.
She now has difficulties with citizenship caused by B----t but hopes to get Danish citizenship sometime soon. After the exams she had to do for this application she reckons she now knows more about Denmark than most Danes.

Top Bottom