The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
For upper body strength/exercise
exercise-bike-washing-machine-4255.gif

And the secret behind Mo's amazing step count can finally be revealed.
fernz_cards044_grande.png

aferris2

Guru
If you don;t want to doa complete re-install then I would invest in something to optimise the system and properly delete all un-needed applications
It may also need a defragment running
Windows does tend to slow down after time due to fragmentation of "stuff" - so the upgrades from Vista upwards - plus the normal constant upgrades will all have had an effect.
Ccleaner can help - and it's free
to go further I use WInoptimiser from Ashampoo - just because they often have deals on so I got it cheap many years ago.
I wish that would be the case. I regularly clean out temp files, defragment the disk, and do use Ccleaner and disk cleanup. Haven't tried Winoptimiser though.
The original HDD was beginning to get a bit full so upgraded to 16GB RAM and new big disk in January, so failing disk isn't the issue.
The only applications installed are the ones that I actually use. Having said that, only windows and applications are on C: (everything else is moved to a different partition) and that's showing 191GB used. As I said, I think the drive is full of cr@p.
Other half is getting a new cooker and TV, so I might be able to wrangle a new SSD (assuming there is still some money left)

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
An elderly man lay dying in his bed. While suffering agonies on his way to his final moment, he suddenly smells the aroma of his favourite scones wafting up the stairs.

He gathered his remaining strength, and lifted himself from the bed. Leaning on the wall, he slowly made his way out of the bedroom, gripping the wall, he slowly makes it to the kitchen.

There, piled on a tray are his favourite scones.

Was it heaven? Or was it one final act of love from his devoted wife of sixty years, seeing to it that he left this world a happy man?

Mustering one great final effort, he threw himself towards the table, landing on his knees in rumpled posture.

His aged and withered hand trembled towards a scone at the edge of the table, when it was suddenly smacked by his wife with a wooden spoon……

‘F*** off’ she said, ‘they're for the funeral

Had to take the ebike to the LBS today

a couple of weeks ago I found the bolts on the stand were loose - as in very loose
so I got my Allen keys and tightened them - and one snapped off inside the thread
Oh GREAT
anyway 0 there are a few more problems
creaking sound when power applied to left pedal
bolts that loosen a lot on the main cog

but the manager of the LBS said he was up to his eyes in stuff and was off last week - so I took it in today

He has managed to - somehow - get the broken bolt out - and replaced it with a bolt and a nut just in case
and has removed, greased and properly torqued all the questionable bolts

and - apparently the pedal were making a lot of noise so he has replaced them - really not sure this was necessary but the new ones stick to my shoes MUCH better!!!

soooooo
at the end of the day the left pedal still creaks a lot under power

but the stand works fine now and he has cleaned up a lot of stuff

apparently a lot of the bolts and stuff are quite corroded - which is probably due to me riding it over the winter along canal paths and other tracks

I think I will get through summer and get him to go over the whole bike and replace anything corroded

I guess I should clean the bike more often - but the incentive is low when it is about 3 degrees and raining

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Booting modern laptops is a lot quicker than it used to be, but it still takes a lot longer than coming out of sleep. Hang on, I'll time mine...

Sleep -> ready: less than 2 seconds to get back here.
Off -> ready (including typing password, relaunching apps): 42 seconds to get back here
I'll
Once or twice a day, those extra 40 seconds would be trivial, but I have my laptop next to me and am constantly starting it up to Google things etc. 30 (say) x 40 seconds = 20 minutes, which would be an annoying amount of time typing in 'ColinJ = Lord of the Laptop 2567*&)^^^'*** and staring at a boot screen! I often want the information in a hurry, for example if someone on the phone has just asked me a question. 40+ seconds unnecessary delay each time would be a pain.

It's like dial-up vs broadband. We used to put up with webpages that took 30-60 seconds to load but now we expect them to load in 1 second or less.

*** Not my real password! :laugh:

Apart from wearing out the hinges, it should not cause any problems EXCEPT if the laptop has a HDD (mechanical storage device) as opposed to a modern SSD (non-mechanical). My niece used to slam the lid down on her laptop and immediately chuck it to one side while Windows was saving its state to the HDD. I warned her that HDDs can be vulnerable to shock while in use but she ignored me. A week later she destroyed the HDD by doing just that. My laptop is SSD-only so I can close the lid and dump the device on the sofa next to me without any risk to it.
I see your point though starting up a laptop 30 times a day would, for me, be better left switched on! That sounds like w*rk levels of use. We never switched anything off in the office.

I switch mine on 5-6 times a week, smile at the screen (facial recognition), it says "Hello Paul" and that's it. 99% of my screen time is on a phone. I only use my laptop for important stuff.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all, I’ve just taken voluntary redundancy and will be taking early retirement, after48 years of work, I finish work at the end of this month.
Looking forward to it actually
I am sure I will be contributing to these pages over the coming years.
See you later
Your "application" seems to be in order.
It will be discussed at our next general meeting which will, of course, be chaired by a certain Mo & Welshie. They are known to be fair (apart from when discussing me) so you should be ok.
There are rules but you will pick rhem up as you go ie no politics etc
I will say welcome but that could be overturned if
a. Welshie puts her bloomers on back to front.
b. Mo runs/walks/cycles less than 7 miles per day regardless off the weather.

Last edited:
Top Bottom