The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Send them a cheque.

classic33

Leg End Member
An older Eddie Munster perchance.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm in Boots. They do ears and eyes. Lady, gowned up, walks out of room marked "Hearing." Elderly man next to me starts to get up

"No, love, I'm hearing not eyes"

Man looks confused.

Woman raises her voice significantly

"I'm hearing, not eyes"
"That's why I'm here love..... for me ears"

I've had a giggling fit. Good job I'm wearing a mask. :laugh:

Cheque? I remember them, I might still have a book somewhere. ^_^
I needed to send a cheque to someone about 2 years ago and found I had none left
SO I rang the bank to ask for a new one - the young (sounding) bloke on the other end said he would do it - then went quiet
then asked if it was OK to put me on hold
He came back after a short time - apparently the 3rd supervisor that came over remembered how to do it
There is still only one cheque used from that book

I wonder where I put it????

Last edited:
Well today's going well

Got up to find the TV was not working again - Virgin said it would be back at 12 or 1.

Sooo - watched a stage of the Tour of Turkey (Cav won - I was nearly crying - Great News!!!!

then went to get the bike out for a monring ride rather than the normal afternoon ride

Flat Rear Tyre!

Ok - it has goo init so blowing it up and spinning it might fix it - no thorns, nails or anything so got the pump out
Pumped up but it was damn difficult - seemed to be some resistance to the air going in
Left it for the duration of one cuppa and it had dropped 10 psi - not much but too much

Soo - no problem - take the wheel off and fix it
couldn't get the air out of the tyre - which is ironic
and as it was still inflated I also couldn't get the tyre off the rim
OK - just take the valve core out
Damn thing would not unscrew - I have 2 different tool to it - neither would turn the core
I eventually managed to get the thing to turn after a lot of fiddling - and the air exploded out along with most of the goo becuase I had ended up with the valve at the bottom

Turns out an old repair patch had sprung a leak - those cheap patches I got of ebay were a total waste of space!!!

I'll have to use a self adhesive one that I normally keep for fixes on the road!

so the morning ride has become a possible afternoon ride - or possibly an afternoon sorting out the shed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I see your point though starting up a laptop 30 times a day would, for me, be better left switched on! That sounds like w*rk levels of use. We never switched anything off in the office.

I switch mine on 5-6 times a week, smile at the screen (facial recognition), it says "Hello Paul" and that's it. 99% of my screen time is on a phone. I only use my laptop for important stuff.
Planet killers! :whistle:

Actually, that's how it used to be in my office years ago. People just walked out at the end of the day and left their PCs running. There were racks of electronic equipment next to most of our desks which were also left switched on. There was a big red button on the wall at the end of the office which last person out had to press. It operated a circuit breaker for the whole floor. The first time I used it I was amazed at how noisy the office had been. You get used to the constant drone of hundreds of fans and hard drives but when they all go off at the same time it is a bit like a helicopter landing and its engine being turned off!

It made me realise just how fatiguing mechanical noise can be. My hearing is poor compared to what it was then so I don't notice noise so much now, but this laptop is almost silent anyway. It does have fans but they are quiet and rarely kick in. In fact, I hadn't realised that there WERE fans until I read a review of the computer which mentioned them. I have to put an ear next to the outlet to hear their sound.

As for laptop lids and sleep mode - you damn well jinxed me... Having had no problems with the laptop over several years, it wouldn't come out of sleep last night! The problem happened a few times. It won't put me off using sleep mode though. If the problem persists I'll have to diagnose and fix it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Planet killers! :whistle:

Actually, that's how it used to be in my office years ago. People just walked out at the end of the day and left their PCs running. There were racks of electronic equipment next to most of our desks which were also left switched on. There was a big red button on the wall at the end of the office which last person out had to press. It operated a circuit breaker for the whole floor. The first time I used it I was amazed at how noisy the office had been. You get used to the constant drone of hundreds of fans and hard drives but when they all go off at the same time it is a bit like a helicopter landing and its engine being turned off!

It made me realise just how fatiguing mechanical noise can be. My hearing is poor compared to what it was then so I don't notice noise so much now, but this laptop is almost silent anyway. It does have fans but they are quiet and rarely kick in. In fact, I hadn't realised that there WERE fans until I read a review of the computer which mentioned them. I have to put an ear next to the outlet to hear their sound.

As for laptop lids and sleep mode - you damn well jinxed me... Having had no problems with the laptop over several years, it wouldn't come out of sleep last night! The problem happened a few times. It won't put me off using sleep mode though. If the problem persists I'll have to diagnose and fix it.
I thought I remember reading that it put more strain on them constantly switching off and on. Is that just a myth?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sooo - watched a stage of the Tour of Turkey (Cav won - I was nearly crying - Great News!!!!
I'd prefer not to read the results of other races that I haven't got to yet. Please put them in a spoiler block like this! :smile:

Oh, and not like that thread the other day - saying that Cav has had a great result - chapeau! - SPOILER - has ALREADY given away the result without even looking in the thread... :okay:

Top Bottom