The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One of the problems is that more and more wheel sets are being sold as tubeless ready these days which seems to be causing the fitting issues with some rim/tyre combinations I think.
Yes, I'm sure you're correct Mo. If I go back to tubes one criteria will be the wheels are not tubeless ready...........................I suspect this will be extremely difficult to find.

Just watching something on the net. An interviewer asked 2 girls one from America and 1 from Canada how manu countries are in Europe. The America girl said Europe is one country. The Canadian girl said she lives in Europe. When asked where she replied Vancouver :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I saw a TV thingy a while ago where they had a map of the world with all the countries marked but not labelled - they were stopping people on US streets and asking them to name as many countries as they could
A few managed 2 or 3 - some couldn't even find the USA!
They found one guy who just kept going heading for doing the whole map - he working in the USA temporarily but was European!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The wheelset I brought last year is tubeless ready, getting tyres on needs thumbs of steel, I struggled badly the first time I put tyres on them and ended up on youtube refreshing my technique and looking for tips and tricks, that despite having been putting tyres on for about fifty years.
Yep, the three of us yesterday can roll a tyre on with great panache and admiring gasps from the less experienced around us! :laugh::laugh:

Lee_M

Guru
Wasn't so much walking the dog in the rain I minded, but trying to get them clean and dry when you got home. Been dogless for about 4 years now and, as much as I love them, not sure I will ever have another. Maybe when I get too decrepit for cycling, I'll see. :laugh:

Having a staffy means they aren't too difficult to keep clean anyway, but one that's anti-rain, and anti-exercise tbh, makes life much easier.

Life's too short to not have a dog

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yep, the three of us yesterday can roll a tyre on with great panache and admiring gasps from the less experienced around us! :laugh::laugh:
My technique is to get around the first foot of the tyre seated as deep into the rim as possible and I then press the inside on my forearm on the bit I've done while working the next section in and continue like that to the last bit when I usually sort of roll the tyre over the rim with the heel of my hand. :laugh:

Exlaser2

Veteran
Who is it with odd underwear ??

To the outside ( none cycling ) world , the odd thing is not our odd underwear it’s the fact that most of us don’t wear underwear at all when cycling 😂😂😀

Tenkaykev

Guru
I saw a TV thingy a while ago where they had a map of the world with all the countries marked but not labelled - they were stopping people on US streets and asking them to name as many countries as they could
A few managed 2 or 3 - some couldn't even find the USA!
They found one guy who just kept going heading for doing the whole map - he working in the USA temporarily but was European!
On the subject of Maps, when I was at our Daughters yesterday I noticed that she had a large map of the world on her kitchen wall. It was a " Peters Map " which shows the true land areas of the continents and countries relative to each other. This has the effect of making parts of the map appear distorted at some latitudes.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My technique is to get around the first foot of the tyre seated as deep into the rim as possible and I then press the inside on my forearm on the bit I've done while working the next section in and continue like that to the last bit when I usually sort of roll the tyre over the rim with the heel of my hand. :laugh:
Fitting a Marathon Plus tyre to a Brommie wheel is often quoted as being a bit of a nightmare. I watched the lady from Brilliant Bikes ( Hannah?) demonstrating how to do it and the technique is similar to yours. I've since practiced a couple of times with my spare front wheel and M+ tyre so I'm prepared should I need to do it when out on the road.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On the subject of Maps, when I was at our Daughters yesterday I noticed that she had a large map of the world on her kitchen wall. It was a " Peters Map " which shows the true land areas of the continents and countries relative to each other. This has the effect of making parts of the map appear distorted at some latitudes.
Before son no2 got married we had a world map on the wall to keep track of his wanderings. All to do with work right enough so not a gap year or anything like that. Mainly marine installations and fish farms.

Top Bottom