The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Fitting a Marathon Plus tyre to a Brommie wheel is often quoted as being a bit of a nightmare. I watched the lady from Brilliant Bikes ( Hannah?) demonstrating how to do it and the technique is similar to yours. I've since practiced a couple of times with my spare front wheel and M+ tyre so I'm prepared should I need to do it when out on the road.
It took me over an hour and lots of swear words to get a Marathon Plus on my Brommie the first time. There is a way of doing it which I eventually fumbled on to.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Some people are so ignorant .

Just remind me, which part of America is Canada in ?
I have a Canadian friend who would hit you for that.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It seems more and more people in they're 20's are trying to book appointments to get the jab now that the Indian variant seems to be targeting them more than the older generations. So much for protesting against wearing masks and having the jab. It's a different thing when they are the more vulnerable ones.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:hello: Good morning people, we've been kept awake most of the night by next door having a noisy party.:sad:
They're still going now, its been on since eight last night.
What is it with all-night parties in Coventry...? :whistle:
My sister and b-in-law had 3 young women move in next door. They immediately started throwing regular noisy parties. One party started at 12:00 on a Saturday and was still going at 03:00 on the Sunday. B-i-L finally cracked and went round to complain. They laughed in his face and told him to p*ss off ..

Eventually, the police got involved. They knocked on the door and were NOT told to p*ss off. The music was turned down, and there was a nice quiet street again.

But they watched the police car drive away and then they turned the music up again.

Another neighbour went round to complain and got into an argument with some of the drunken young men at the party, one of whom followed him home, tore the neighbour's garden gate off its hinges, and lobbed it through his window!

More police involvement ...

My B-i-L was starting to get seriously stressed by the behaviour of those morons, but then something wonderful happened ...

The girls started fighting over some good looking guy who they all fancied. (B-i-L could plainly hear what they were shouting.) The next thing, one of them got thrown across the room and went through a glass coffee table! Another neighbour knew the landlord and phoned him to tell him that his house was being trashed. The landlord turned up a few minutes later and was heard giving them notice to quit. They laughed in HIS face and told HIM to p*ss off, they knew their rights, etc. etc. The landlord turned and left.

An hour later, the landlord came back with several very large men. It all went quiet. Soon afterwards, the girls were seen taking suitcases out to several taxis waiting outside ... :eek:
:laugh:

Exlaser2

Veteran
Arrrr marathon plus that takes me back . I used them on a really old racing bike I used to commute to work on . Great tyres , nearly bulletproof, perfect for commuting to w@@k . But they were a pig to put on . I used the ctc method of using cable ties to hold it to the rim and then gently use a tyre lever to get the last bit on . I never had a pinch flat doing it but I did once manage to ping a tyre lever over a six foot fence into a neighbours garden lol 😂😂

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Arrrr marathon plus that takes me back . I used them on a really old racing bike I used to commute to work on . Great tyres , nearly bulletproof, perfect for commuting to w@@k . But they were a pig to put on . I used the ctc method of using cable ties to hold it to the rim and then gently use a tyre lever to get the last bit on . I never had a pinch flat doing it but I did once manage to ping a tyre lever over a six foot fence into a neighbours garden lol 😂😂
I tried the cable tie method and also used toe straps but that idea never worked for me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I saw a TV thingy a while ago where they had a map of the world with all the countries marked but not labelled - they were stopping people on US streets and asking them to name as many countries as they could
A few managed 2 or 3 - some couldn't even find the USA!
They found one guy who just kept going heading for doing the whole map - he working in the USA temporarily but was European!
There was another one where the continents had been deliberately misnamed. One person didn't have a clue where Europe is so he searched everywhere. He eventually was very pleased to locate the large island of Europe in the bottom right of the map...

One person was asked what language is spoken in England. 'British', apparently. The main language in the USA is 'American'... :wacko:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My technique is to get around the first foot of the tyre seated as deep into the rim as possible and I then press the inside on my forearm on the bit I've done while working the next section in and continue like that to the last bit when I usually sort of roll the tyre over the rim with the heel of my hand. :laugh:
Oh those muscular arms and firm strong hands ,........sorry spending to much time in Dave7's company.

Top Bottom