The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rolled my sleeve up to have my jab yesterday and the nurse said 'You've got some good muscles there!'
I said ' You should have seen me 30 years ago. Lol'.
It would have been the opposite for me!

"You've got scrawny arms!"

"You should have seen them 30 years ago!"

I was very thin when I came out of university. I had given up eating meat and was pretty much surviving on my veggie curries. I had also given up alcohol except for holidays back at home. I was power-walking about 70 km (45 miles) a week to and from university, and to the shops. At 1.86 m tall (6' 1") and a natural medium build, 68 kg (10 st 10 lbs) was underweight for me. Think Chris Froome's build when super-fit for the Tour de France...

I could do the 'roll of Sellotape trick'. I'd take one big roll of tape, like this one...

... squeeze my hand through the centre, and then see how far up the arm it would go.

This was how far it would go when I tried it 6 year ago...

In 1985 I could have got it up to my armpit! :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Makes a change from us getting it. Still dry here but not very warm. I should really have a walk but these damned tourists will be here being the weekend! :laugh:
Glad to see somebody else gets them. Today when I went down the street camper vans filled the blue badge spaces as they are slightly wider. No blue badges on display because left them at home. Aye right.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Hello everyone. I am back in Devon. Left home at 7.15 am and got here at 1pm. Nothing has changed, pot holes are still here and the weather is not great. We are going back on Wednesday as Molly is booked for a hair cut on Thursday and we are due to go to Blackpool on Friday for one of the grand daughter's 6 year old party on Saturday.
The last time I was in Blackpool was in 1968 I think and I hated the place. I don't think my feelings will be any different this time.
Busy week ahead then. ( and expensive :whistle: ). :hello:

12boy

Guru
Having a staffy means they aren't too difficult to keep clean anyway, but one that's anti-rain, and anti-exercise tbh, makes life much easier.

Life's too short to not have a dog.
Actually, I think my life will be too short to have another after this one is gone. I would hate to be too old to take proper care of of my dog or to die and leave the dog alone. I always have thought getting a dog is a commitment for the life of the dog.

Hang on.....I only fancy women....with muscular arms
I have always found strong women attractive, like Lola in the Kinks' song. However, and they were few, my favorites were those who liked me, regardless of appearance. A kind heart and a gusto for life trumped pretty every time. Bizarrely enough, my wife had all of that.
I must confess I am pretty ignorant of any geography but mine own. I have often thought I need me a big map of the British isles to see where all of you folks live. It is interesting to realize people in such a small country see such regional differences and can often identify some one's origins by how they talk.
And while I suppose British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealanders and Americans all speak "English" I often have to google your terms to understand what your saying. I learned to speak Spanish for a job once, and some of the guys where I was working who were bilingual told me a story about regional Spanish. In the 70's Hispanics talked about La Raza in terms of being proud to be Hispanic and a group of activists from Texas came to speak at a Colorado La Raza rally. They began their speech saying "Somos Hodidos" which was pretty offensive to the Coloradans. In Texas it meant "We are the the poor, downtrodden and exploited" but in Colorado it meant "We are the guys who like it up the butt". Not quite the same.
Be safe and well, amigos y amigas.

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="gavroche, post: 6411540, we are due to go to Blackpool on Friday for one of the grand daughter's 6 year old party on Saturday.
The last time I was in Blackpool was in 1968 I think and I hated the place. I don't think my feelings will be any different this time.
Busy week ahead then. ( and expensive :whistle: ). :hello:
[/QUOTE]
We were there in 1968 but only for an evening as we went to see Englebert Humperdinck :rolleyes:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Oh what an entertaining afternoon. As I arrived at Morrison's the driver of the BIGGEST BMW I've ever seen, I mean feckin' enormous, was reversing in to the end space of the row next to the access road. This had the effect of blocking the traffic. Driver failed to park and moved to another spot to drive forwards in to. This left about three foot of car sticking out of the space. Failed. Passenger and driver swap over. New driver tries and fails. Reverses out, drives to parent and child places and manages to park.

Big car. Excellent if you like them but learn to drive please.

Kept me occupied for five minutes. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oh what an entertaining afternoon. As I arrived at Morrison's the driver of the BIGGEST BMW I've ever seen, I mean feckin' enormous, was reversing in to the end space of the row next to the access road. This had the effect of blocking the traffic. Driver failed to park and moved to another spot to drive forwards in to. This left about three foot of car sticking out of the space. Failed. Passenger and driver swap over. New driver tries and fails. Reverses out, drives to parent and child places and manages to park.

Big car. Excellent if you like them but learn to drive please.

Kept me occupied for five minutes. :laugh:
With child or children I expect?

Top Bottom