The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Nodded off while reading my library book. The text is very small and it's 500 pages long but a very compelling read. It's " The Clan of the Cave Bear " not my usual read but it was recommended and I'm enjoying reading it. I keep misreading the cover text as " The Clan of the Care Bears " ^_^

I have read one of those novels. Can't remember exactly which one though. I thought it was a bit long winded^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
While I am wittering on about Android phones...

Has anybody here upgraded their phone from Android 11 to Android 12? If so, what did you think of the changes? :whistle:

My new one is offering to do a massive update, but I have heard that some phone users were not happy with A12. I may just wait and see. Getting the mic working is the main task first.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
While I am wittering on about Android phones...

Has anybody here upgraded their phone from Android 11 to Android 12? If so, what did you think of the changes? :whistle:

My new one is offering to do a massive update, but I have heard that some phone users were not happy with A12. I may just wait and see. Getting the mic working is the main task first.
I had to check and see I'm running A11. I checked to see if there was an update available for me and there isn't.

My view on updates is this. I have never encountered a major issue with a software update on any device for any programme. I know there are people who like to make lots of noise about how crap the product is or how awful the software is. For an example look at the support thread discussing the missing reply button.

Overall I take no notice of these people as I feel they enjoy shouting about change for the sake of it.

While I'm not fussed the CC upgrades are the ones which usually do cause me hassle. It's free, who cares.

ColinJ

*** Warning - obsessive nerd content ***!!!

I think that I may be making progress... :smile:

The phone has 3 mics:
  1. The mic at the bottom of the phone is used for making phone calls.
  2. A mic at the top of the phone is used for noise cancellation. (The mics at the top and bottom both pick up roughly equal amounts of background noise, but the one at the bottom picks up a lot more of the speaker's voice. Subtract one signal from the other and you are left mainly with the voice signal.)
  3. A pinprick hole next to the camera lenses on the back of the phone has a third mic behind it for use when shooting videos.
I played a YouTube music video on the original phone and recorded that using the camera on the new phone. That worked fine. A very clear recording of the sound (and picture).

I then tried recording sound only using the sound recorder app. That uses the bottom mic. If I put the mic on the new phone up against the speaker of the old phone I could make a reasonable recording of the music, only it was much quieter than you would expect.

Detective hat on...

Facing the screen of the new phone - there is a slot for the mic on the left side of the bottom edge of the phone, and an identical slot near the right side which has one of the phones 2 speakers behind it. I shone a torch on the 2 slots and used a magnifying glass to get a good look. Both slots have a very fine wire mesh covering them inside. I assume that is intended to protect the mic and speaker, maybe even improve the waterproofing? Anyway, the mesh covering the speaker is damaged. The one in front of the mic isn't.

My guess at what has happened? I think the phone was working fine until some crud got onto the mesh in front of the mic. Maybe the speaker mesh too. I think the crud muffled the mic, and maybe the speaker. I reckon the original owner (OO) did what I did and Googled for an answer. Various people suggested scraping crud out with a pin. I think that OO started with the speaker grille, intending to scrape both but (s)he was a bit ham-fisted and tore the fine mesh. They then decided not to mess any further with the phone and to sell it before any more damage was done. Probably taking the opportunity to upgrade to a new phone...

The speaker isn't damaged and you can't see the damaged mesh unless you shine a bright light into the slot and have very good eyesight, or use a magnifying glass like me. I think the mic mesh is still clogged. I very carefully scraped it and have managed to achieve about a 25% improvement in mic output. Further cleaning might well yield further improvements. If I don't manage to restore the mic function enough that way, I will try the nuclear option - deliberately cutting a small hole in the mesh to let more sound through to the mic. (Or destroy it completely! :laugh:)

ColinJ

My view on updates is this. I have never encountered a major issue with a software update on any device for any programme. I know there are people who like to make lots of noise about how crap the product is or how awful the software is. For an example look at the support thread discussing the missing reply button.

Overall I take no notice of these people as I feel they enjoy shouting about change for the sake of it.
That is sometimes true, and sometimes isn't!

For example, Google Pixel phones get monthly updates. The December update for the new Pixel 6 model did so much damage to some people's phones that Google had to cancel the update and advise people to go back to the November one. Many people had no problems whatsoever though. The people experiencing the problems had some very serious ones - for example, finding that their phones randomly dropped calls, or wouldn't make them in the first place. Some people couldn't dial emergency services. Google took an extra 3 weeks to fix those problems and get a replacement update ready, which seems to fixed the most serious defects.

I will do the A12 update at some point. A11 is a lot different to what I am used to so I will spend some time getting to grips with that before updating. I'll let the people with brand new phones find the problems for me! :laugh:

One advantage of Pixel phones is that updates don't have to be consolidated with the phone manufacturer's own software so changes can be made very quickly. It is one of the reasons why I chose a Pixel, but mine is the model before the 6.

classic33

Leg End Member
*** Warning - obsessive nerd content ***!!!

I think that I may be making progress... :smile:

The phone has 3 mics:
  1. The mic at the bottom of the phone is used for making phone calls.
  2. A mic at the top of the phone is used for noise cancellation. (The mics at the top and bottom both pick up roughly equal amounts of background noise, but the one at the bottom picks up a lot more of the speaker's voice. Subtract one signal from the other and you are left mainly with the voice signal.)
  3. A pinprick hole next to the camera lenses on the back of the phone has a third mic behind it for use when shooting videos.
I played a YouTube music video on the original phone and recorded that using the camera on the new phone. That worked fine. A very clear recording of the sound (and picture).

I then tried recording sound only using the sound recorder app. That uses the bottom mic. If I put the mic on the new phone up against the speaker of the old phone I could make a reasonable recording of the music, only it was much quieter than you would expect.

Detective hat on...

Facing the screen of the new phone - there is a slot for the mic on the left side of the bottom edge of the phone, and an identical slot near the right side which has one of the phones 2 speakers behind it. I shone a torch on the 2 slots and used a magnifying glass to get a good look. Both slots have a very fine wire mesh covering them inside. I assume that is intended to protect the mic and speaker, maybe even improve the waterproofing? Anyway, the mesh covering the speaker is damaged. The one in front of the mic isn't.

My guess at what has happened? I think the phone was working fine until some crud got onto the mesh in front of the mic. Maybe the speaker mesh too. I think the crud muffled the mic, and maybe the speaker. I reckon the original owner (OO) did what I did and Googled for an answer. Various people suggested scraping crud out with a pin. I think that OO started with the speaker grille, intending to scrape both but (s)he was a bit ham-fisted and tore the fine mesh. They then decided not to mess any further with the phone and to sell it before any more damage was done. Probably taking the opportunity to upgrade to a new phone...

The speaker isn't damaged and you can't see the damaged mesh unless you shine a bright light into the slot and have very good eyesight, or use a magnifying glass like me. I think the mic mesh is still clogged. I very carefully scraped it and have managed to achieve about a 25% improvement in mic output. Further cleaning might well yield further improvements. If I don't manage to restore the mic function enough that way, I will try the nuclear option - deliberately cutting a small hole in the mesh to let more sound through to the mic. (Or destroy it completely! :laugh:)
Blow across the hole, not into it, pulling anything from within. Other option, go larger and use a vacuum cleaner.

You could even try using a bike pump to blow across the opening.

D

Deleted member 1258

We were down the club tonight, my Sister In Law won at the bingo and we won on the raffle, part or the prize is a tub of Cappuccino Flavour chocolate expresso beans, now these are new to me so are they a sweet? Or do I flavour my coffee with them?

classic33

Leg End Member
...........while taking care to grip the phone firmly in your hand
I was thinking more of using the pump whilst the handset was on something solid. Thereby leaving both hands in control of the pump.

Less like to drop the handset.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So today. Well I have come home to discover we have new towels and new frying pans..........................because they were on offer........................tomorrow I'm heading to the LBS to see what's "on offer" ;);)

More importantly #2 son is delighted to be home at his own house. The on-duty carer called about six hours after son had returned. He apologised and said he was really sorry but our son had tested positive on an LFT (these have to be done daily). The line manager has advised he must isolate in his bedroom and would we like to take him home for ten days. WTF!! Of course he's positive, he's just come out of isolation, people test positive for days, even weeks after having Covid. Mrs P reports she held her opinions to herself and informed the line manager of the guidelines and law. It's unbelievable really. We've indicated he doesn't need to be tested for 90 days.

There you go. Had a really nice flat ride today, 57 miles, 2000 feet, 14.1avg. Bit disappointed with the average but pleased I held my own on the "through and off" we did at 20-22 for 5-6 miles. My new route to and from the meet point adds 5.2 miles and 500 feet, the golden ratio so it fits in well.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
We were down the club tonight, my Sister In Law won at the bingo and we won on the raffle, part or the prize is a tub of Cappuccino Flavour chocolate expresso beans, now these are new to me so are they a sweet? Or do I flavour my coffee with them?

View attachment 627089
My Niece has just returned from Costa Rica , she brought back a small pack of dark chocolate coated coffee beans for me ,they were definitely sweets . i think yours are similar.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Mo1959 @monkers @Juan Kog thanks for the comments re my upgrade thoughts.

@Mo1959 I'm inclined to agree 105 hits the sweet spot for many cyclists probably including me. @monkers I do though like the idea of Ultegra (perhaps Di2) and 12 speed - if I do the upgrade it will be to the very latest I can get. I hadn't considered the free hub - thanks. Shorter cranks wasn't on the list so I chatted with a fellow pensioner on today's ride who knows me well and is heavily in to the latest trends, tech, his numbers etc. He's very positive about short cranks and has changed all his to 165s. This is definitely on the list for consideration. @Juan Kog I'm looking for both positive and negative input so this is good. Chatted with another buddy today who has an oval ring on his TT bike - he's not convinced.

My one issue with Di2 mirrors the way some cyclists feel about tubeless. I'm a big fan of tubeless and wouldn't go back, others wouldn't touch it because of the problems people report. I've heard a few difficult tales from people whose Di2 failed miles from home. The killer one for me though is a friend who needed a replacement battery under warranty. Scott agreed the claim etc. and supplied a new battery eight days later. She was off the road for nine days due to a faulty battery. If I have a gearing issue I ride to the LBS or chuck the bike in the car, hang around for 20 minutes and it's fixed!

classic33

Leg End Member
So today. Well I have come home to discover we have new towels and new frying pans..........................because they were on offer........................tomorrow I'm heading to the LBS to see what's "on offer" ;);)

More importantly #2 son is delighted to be home at his own house. The on-duty carer called about six hours after son had returned. He apologised and said he was really sorry but our son had tested positive on an LFT (these have to be done daily). The line manager has advised he must isolate in his bedroom and would we like to take him home for ten days. WTF!! Of course he's positive, he's just come out of isolation, people test positive for days, even weeks after having Covid. Mrs P reports she held her opinions to herself and informed the line manager of the guidelines and law. It's unbelievable really. We've indicated he doesn't need to be tested for 90 days.

There you go. Had a really nice flat ride today, 57 miles, 2000 feet, 14.1avg. Bit disappointed with the average but pleased I held my own on the "through and off" we did at 20-22 for 5-6 miles. My new route to and from the meet point adds 5.2 miles and 500 feet, the golden ratio so it fits in well.
Where has this 90 days come from?

Trying to keep up with what we can/can't do is nearly impossible.

D

Deleted member 1258

PaulSB you're doing better than me, I'm barely averaging 13mph at the moment, I'd be delighted to see 14.1 again, well done.

Top Bottom