The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've just cleaned the tops of my kitchen cupboard :sad:
Find anything hidden away "safe"?

D

Deleted member 1258

That was Disappointing, the plumber's been and couldn't replace the stopcock, its to well buried in the wall and apparently they won't touch jobs like that. So for now I'm stuck with the damp kitchen corner, I've got someone else to talk to but its going to be an expensive job. I'm even more disappointed that I've missed a lovely cycling morning, its bright and sunny outside with a gentle breeze, a bit chilly but good for cycling. But I have got the washing done and the beds changed, I've also got my computer table tidied up and cleaned.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Prompted by Dirk’s post, I’m curious now how far people have to go for their shopping ?
(Here in the city we have the full range Waitrose/Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons/ALDI/LIDL/ASDA all within a two mile radius.)
Aldi is a 5 minute walk each way. Lidl would be a 15 minute walk each way but I usually go there by bike and deliberately go a longer way to get more exercise - 15-20 minutes there, 8-10 minutes back.

I got up earlier than usual today in case the postman came with my new phone. It wasn't officially due until Wednesday but it was posted first class on Saturday down the road in Manchester so I expected it sooner, and sure enough, it was delivered around noon today.

I was a bit apprehensive opening the parcel in case the phone was a scratched/cracked mess, but it is absolutely immaculate. I had to hold it up to the light and stare very hard to see any marks on it at all! The previous owner either never used it, or had a brilliant case and screen protector on it from new.

The reason I got it cheap is because the microphone doesn't work. Everything else works brilliantly. I put the SIM in from my old phone and confirmed that the phone was not locked to the Three network. I sent a test text. Google saw that my account was being used on a new device and checked that it was me using it. That one has now been added to my list of devices. Google uploaded all of my apps to the device.

It took a while going through multitudes of settings to get the phone how I wanted it.

I phoned my landline and sure enough, the mobile's mic fault prevented me hearing anything via the phone.

I used the recorder app on the phone to monitor the mic signal... no response. Then I put the phone down on a hard surface and spotted some spikes on the waveform display. Interesting... I tapped the phone near the mic and saw more spikes. Then I shouted into the mic. I played the recording back and the mic IS actually working, only the signal is really weak. I'm hoping that the problem is some dirt in there blocking most of the sound. Either that or some software glitch which has turned the gain down to unusable levels.

If I get this phone working it will have been a fabulous deal at £190. I have been 'watching' similar phones on ebay the past few weeks and many of them have been going for £300+!

Right back to work - I have a dodgy phone mic to sort out... :hello:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Prompted by Dirk’s post, I’m curious now how far people have to go for their shopping ?
(Here in the city we have the full range Waitrose/Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons/ALDI/LIDL/ASDA all within a two mile radius.)

I have two small Co-ops within walking disance ( I hardly ever use them), Sainsburys and Asda are 3 miles away.
Romsey Town 5 miles away has Aldi and a Waitrose (never use these).

ColinJ

I am impressed by the new phone's transcription abilities. I fired up the recorder app and was screaming into the microphone... "HELLO. HELLO. HELLO. NOT A SAUSAGE. OH GREAT!" I played back the recording at full volume and could hear white noise with some very faint shouting in the background. I couldn't make out what I had been shouting, but the phone got it dead right! :laugh:

It doesn't work on speaker either, so if I can't fix this it will be earbuds/headset use only, which would be a pain...

Chief Broom

Veteran
Afternoon folks :okay: just had my cool severely ruffled by some complete **** I was going along the A9 and this car came alongside and beeped then came past and attempted to turn left in front of me...WTF! I nearly rammed into the side of it...The guy stopped and i said WTF are you doing! the guy then said "i did warn you" Apparently i dont have any rights on the road and his beep was for me to brake so he could dive in front and turn left! :rolleyes: I called him a stupid ***t and for a minute looked like he was getting out...but then drove off....jeez i hope this SOB isnt a local as he's a danger to every cyclist around. :rolleyes: Rant over...and relax.....:okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

I am impressed by the new phone's transcription abilities. I fired up the recorder app and was screaming into the microphone... "HELLO. HELLO. HELLO. NOT A SAUSAGE. OH GREAT!" I played back the recording at full volume and could hear white noise with some very faint shouting in the background. I couldn't make out what I had been shouting, but the phone got it dead right! :laugh:

It doesn't work on speaker either, so if I can't fix this it will be earbuds/headset use only, which would be a pain...

Strange! Sounds like its working but its turned right down or muted, perhaps something hidden in the settings somewhere or to do with permissions.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Afternoon folks :okay: just had my cool severely ruffled by some complete **** I was going along the A9 and this car came alongside and beeped then came past and attempted to turn left in front of me...WTF! I nearly rammed into the side of it...The guy stopped and i said WTF are you doing! the guy then said "i did warn you" Apparently i dont have any rights on the road and his beep was for me to brake so he could dive in front and turn left! :rolleyes: I called him a stupid ***t and for a minute looked like he was getting out...but then drove off....jeez i hope this SOB isnt a local as he's a danger to every cyclist around. :rolleyes: Rant over...and relax.....:okay:

I have heard that on quite a few roads In England the majority of traffic are cyclists not cars. Let's hope these new rules make a slight differance.

12boy

Guru
Today is a special day as it is the last day of the 2 weeks I've had to wear the compression hose. I guess tomorrow will be the extra special day.
Also today will be a trip to the cardiologist for Mrs 12. The cancer doc thinks her breathing may be heart related as this chemo is known to damage the heart. I am expecting a call from the Oxygen guys about a steroidal nebulizer that might open up her alveoli.
I have been attempting to fit V brakes to my 'Dale, but bizarrely the rear uses a different size bolt than the front, and a non metric at that. The ones I bought yesterday at the hardware store are too long but I will go to a speciality store and get some allen headed ones the right length. I will say the single front V brake, which went on easily, brakes better than both the old cantis combined. Tomorrow is the first day I can ride a bike and there is no snow predicted until Wed, so I will .use another bike to get the bolts and maybe get in a little snow riding in the 'Dale with its studded snows.
My turkey green chile I made last night turned out hit but tasty. The turkey was fresh, so it wasn't green turkey chile.
Be safe and well.....

Tenkaykev

Guru
Nodded off while reading my library book. The text is very small and it's 500 pages long but a very compelling read. It's " The Clan of the Cave Bear " not my usual read but it was recommended and I'm enjoying reading it. I keep misreading the cover text as " The Clan of the Care Bears " ^_^

ColinJ

Strange! Sounds like its working but its turned right down or muted, perhaps something hidden in the settings somewhere or to do with permissions.
It IS very strange.

A friend rang me while I was messing about with the phone. We established that she could just about hear me if I spoke 2-3 times louder than normal. It would be no good if either of us were out in public with background noise, or me not wanting to shout. Still, I reckon there is hope that I can sort this out.

The phone itself is superb. CC is working much better on it because the extra screen space is nearly enough for the pop-up keyboard, leaving much more space for what I am typing.

ColinJ

The phone itself tiny Android tablet is superb. CC is working much better on it because the extra screen space is nearly enough for the pop-up keyboard, leaving much more space for what I am typing.
:laugh:

(I have put the SIM back in my old phone while trying to fix the mic problem. I can use the sound recorder app to check the mic signal level. If/when I sort the mic out, I'll put the SIM back in the new phone.)

Top Bottom