The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

:hello: Good morning folks, no bimble for me this morning, I've got the plumber coming this afternoon and I've got a cupboard to remove this morning.

monkers

Veteran
Good morning. Looks cold out and there is a frost but I haven't ventured out to check how heavy it is.

Today has started badly. I lost the Reply Button so cleared the cache. My Wordle history has disappeared 😢 This is serious. I was 100%. What sort of website is this Shaun bloke running? Huh? I mean, come on, my Wordle history is important!! :ohmy:

Today? Well I'm going to do an hour's cycle club admin next. Out on the bike at 8.30. Important get fit decisions taken over the weekend:
  • Change route to meet point
  • Include two local climbs
  • Extend by 5 miles
  • Repeat the climbs on the way home
  • All winter rides on the small ring to encourage a better rhythm, cadence and spin
  • No sprinting till the Cervelo comes out to play in April
Speaking of the Cervelo this week she's going for a major overhaul. Strip everything off, deep clean frame and all components, consider replacing/upgrading components as needed.

Thoughts please guys 'n' gals. I've always ridden 105. I'm considering upgrading to Ultegra. I don't care about the weight saving, would I see a worthwhile improvement? The LBS have said "we might think about oval rings." Again any experience out there?
Very commendable to being doing this good work for the local club. I've just joined a club, Fareham Wheelers; it's been nearly 50 years since I was a member of a cycling club. I'm looking forward to joining them out on the road soon.

I have always loved a puzzle, so Wordle is right up my street. For interest I've been taking a 'snip' of the puzzle each day. I've only got a four day history, but like you, I like to keep a record so I've been taking a 'snip' of it each day. I've also started taking a 'snip' of the Met weather forecast each day, and plan to take a pic or two while out; all just for my own amusement.

Ultegra has been upgraded now of course to 12 speed, while old stock of 11 speed is still around. Are you thinking of changing the whole of the groupset? Will you go for the new12 speed system? Di2? The 12 speed system won't fit your freehub, so that'll add more expense. The trend is to go for shorter cranks, will you be considering that too?

I have 11 speed Ultegra mechanical on my Orro. It's very slick. I have upgraded my Specialized Allez from Claris to 105, which was an interesting exercise; a worthwhile upgrade. The difference between mechanical 105, and mechanical Ultegra I have found to be marginal, though Ultegra is a little lighter.

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Morning folks :okay: I can hear the breakers on the shore so windy again. Might take the old retro out today as i can chain it up and go for a walk along a favourite stretch of the coast. Havent seen an otter for a while so will be on the look out....i do like coming across their prints ^_^

Good morning, world.

It's a bright and clear 2 degrees on Planet Thanet this morning. Also clear is my COVID test, so under the new rules I am allowed out to play today. I will celebrate with a little walk by the beach, and maybe even a cup of coffee at a cafe somewhere.

Keep safe, everyone, and have a good day.

Prompted by Dirk’s post, I’m curious now how far people have to go for their shopping ?
(Here in the city we have the full range Waitrose/Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons/ALDI/LIDL/ASDA all within a two mile radius.)

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Good morning. Looks cold out and there is a frost but I haven't ventured out to check how heavy it is.

a better rhythm, cadence and spin

The LBS have said "we might think about oval rings." Again any experience out there?
1/ Take care if it’s frosty remember we don’t bounce like we used too.
2/ Do you really need @dave r and me to point out what to ride in the winter for
“ rhythm cadence and spin “ :laugh:
3/ Oval rings , I had a mountain bike in the early 90’s with Shimano Biopace . It was used almost exclusively off road so I can’t comment on cadence and spin . It’s along time ago , but at the time I didn’t think these are terrific I must put them on my road bike . Shimano did not carry on with the idea .
[edit] This does sound a bit negative sorry, give them a try . It may well work for you .

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Prompted by Dirk’s post, I’m curious now how far people have to go for their shopping ?
(Here in the city we have the full range Waitrose/Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons/ALDI/LIDL/ASDA all within a two mile radius.)
Crieff isn't very large so we just have an Aldi and a decent sized Co-op. 5 minute walk to the Co-op and 10 to Aldi.

I actually meant to come home from my walk via the Co-op for a couple of things, but first morning I have forgotten to stick a mask in my pocket so had to give it a miss. Nothing urgent anyway.

D

Deleted member 1258

This could be the start of a thread competition . I live near a town with 3 Aldi .

I use a Tesco's in the next town, Bedworth, for my main shop, there's a small Morrisons a short walk away and I tend to use that for odd bits and pieces, theres a large tescos a short distance away which I don't use, to big and busy, and a small Tescos and a small Asda not far away, jubilee Crescent.

Top Bottom