The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Prompted by Dirk’s post, I’m curious now how far people have to go for their shopping ?
(Here in the city we have the full range Waitrose/Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons/ALDI/LIDL/ASDA all within a two mile radius.)

I have a round trip of 45 miles if I go to Newtown or 50 miles if I go to Aberystwyth that's why I do a months shop in one go and only use the crappy Co Op if I absolutely have to.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Still -1 here but the sun is shining on all the sparkly frost.

Dishes washed and put away. Washing in the machine. Bedding to be changed yet.

And I have some new sparkly nail polish that looks a bit like frost :laugh:

pawl

Legendary Member
I use a Tesco's in the next town, Bedworth, for my main shop, there's a small Morrisons a short walk away and I tend to use that for odd bits and pieces, theres a large tescos a short distance away which I don't use, to big and busy, and a small Tescos and a small Asda not far away, jubilee Crescent.

We gave up on doing are weekly shop just prior to the covid out break We tended to go to Coalville or Hinckley to Aldi and Morrisons.which are a are aprox 16 mile round trip Now we do our shopping on line using Tesco and sometimes Acado.The only thing I miss we usually had a full English at Morrisons:hungry::music::hungry:

classic33

Leg End Member
Just booked my car in for its Service and MOT. Thursday 27th Jan.
Mine is in for MOT tomorrow..... technically not due till 21st.
Went to tax it last week (due 31st) and they would not do it as it was too close to the MOT :wacko:......Load of b*llix imo but thats the law.
And if that asteroid does come a lot closer than they expect tomorrow, you'll have saved some money?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Re' distance to shops.
I can walk to the Spar or Co-op in 15 minutes.
Drive to Aldi in less than 10 minutes. We have 3 Aldis in town but 2 are difficult because of traffic.
We have Tesco and Asda which are 10-15 minutes at 0800.....any later, forget it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Crieff isn't very large so we just have an Aldi and a decent sized Co-op. 5 minute walk to the Co-op and 10 to Aldi.

I actually meant to come home from my walk via the Co-op for a couple of things, but first morning I have forgotten to stick a mask in my pocket so had to give it a miss. Nothing urgent anyway.
A buff can be handy as a makeshift mask, doubly handy in this cold weather.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just back from a walk, cold to start with but bright and sunny. I watched the first episode of Isaac Asimov's " Foundation " on Apple TV yesterday. I read the series of books as a young man and thoroughly enjoyed them. An excellent first episode and there seems to be a fair bit of content. Mrs Tenkaykev got three months subscription free with her new iPad Mini, probably won't continue it but there's always the option to subscribe for a month and binge watch a particular series.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Back from Bideford.
Dropped into the garage and booked the car in for a full brake service next month.
It's going in to the bodyshop a few days earlier to have the dent in the rear door fixed and then it's booked in for a full valet.
I've decided to keep the CRV after looking around to swap it. Better the devil you know and all that.
I reckon if I have to spend a couple of grand on it, it'll still be a better bet than forking out 10k - 15k on an unknown quantity.

Top Bottom