The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well the solo piping was over an hour ago and the parade starts soon. Either they have them on silent or they dunna carry no distance at all.
It's a westerly wind today so maybe carrying the sound away. Thought I heard the commentator on the loudspeaker just now. I should definitely hear the pipe band parade when they arrive. I still get goose bumps when I hear a pipe band. :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a westerly wind today so maybe carrying the sound away. Thought I heard the commentator on the loudspeaker just now. I should definitely hear the pipe band parade when they arrive. I still get goose bumps when I hear a pipe band. :laugh:
I thought they were supposed to drive fear into yer enemies when heard, while providing a rallying cry for your own.
How are they supposed to do that if they can't be heard.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Have to admit, if it wasn't for having to dip into my inheritance money for Molly's treatment, I wouldn't manage it. In fact, I doubt if I could manage on just my work pension at the moment. My direct debits will soon be as much :sad:

I just wish people would think ahead and consider all the costs and problems of pet ownership before they rush out and get one. It's not the purchasing of the pet that costs all that much, but the cost of care over the years you have them, and if you aren't going to do it properly, then I don't think you should do it at all. It's just not fair on the poor pets.

I wanted to give this both :okay: and :sad:

Line one :sad: and it's getting tougher for millions everyday. God alone know what's going to happen in the next six months.

:okay: yep far, far too many people don't understand pet ownership. Those I really don't understand are the ones who employ a dog walker. Yes, very responsible to recognise the animal needs this but why bother with a pet if you can't give it the necessary attention?

pawl

Legendary Member
Just realised it's the Crieff Highland games today. I should be hearing the skirl of bagpipes wafting over soon. I haven't been to them for years but they seem popular. Hopefully the weather will hold.

Quite a lot of running and cycling events as well as the usual caber tossing, hammer throwing, etc.
View attachment 658167

Delving down in to the depths of my memory.A mate of mine a first cat was stationed up during his national service in the R A F He was telling me about some Highland Games where grass track racing took place..Quite good cash awards could be won Back then amateurs could only if at all win small cash prizes with out jeopardising their amateur status. He was telling me a lot of club riders would enter under false names.to avoid a ban from the the amateur cycling governing body

Tenkaykev

Guru
B026C26E-E9B5-406D-BD94-49BDE5BB6F6C.jpeg

A83D2689-8836-4C69-8F7A-57A583669E3C.jpeg

86926B13-593A-4DB5-9BE5-CCB798991117.jpeg
An 8k walk in total, Mrs Tenkaykev had her eyes tested and chose some new specs. We wandered down to the quay and visited the lifeboat station before sampling the homemade cakes, a bargain at 50p per portion. I had Pineapple and pear, plus a big piece of ginger and cinnamon cake 😀😀
There was a cement tanker unloading at the docks, a real juxtaposition with the Sunseeker yachts just a few metres away.
The lifting bridge was being raised as we approached, always seems strange to see a road in mid air!

Last edited:
Top Bottom