The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exlaser2

Veteran
The rateable value was not the amount you actually paid, it was used in the calculation of the amount to pay, ie payable = rateable value * rate, if my memory is correct. ;)
Perhaps I phrased it incorrectly. Back in 1988 I was paying £1250 , this year I am paying £1400.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My painting is going well, in fact, nearly finished , only the back to do tomorrow.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
btw I tried to get onto the Tesco home delivery service. I logged on and created an account, then looked at delivery times/dates - and found there was no chance of a delivery before April 15th. I would have starved by then.

I managed to get a slot with Asda for 14th April. Luckily I will be able to last until then. If I can't I will send out an SOS to my son:laugh:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I managed to get a slot with Asda for 14th April. Luckily I will be able to last until then. If I can't I will send out an SOS to my son:laugh:
I was going to buy some seeds and get planting in my raised bed, but all I could get was carrots and radishes. They'll do for now but I might stick a few potatoes in and see if they grow. I've done it before with some that had been hanging around so long that they sprouted. Instead of throwing them out I planted them and they provided quite a few spuds later. :smile:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was going to buy some seeds and get planting in my raised bed, but all I could get was carrots and radishes. They'll do for now but I might stick a few potatoes in and see if they grow. I've done it before with some that had been hanging around so long that they sprouted. Instead of throwing them out I planted them and they provided quite a few spuds later. :smile:
I ordered seeds yesterday from Thomson & Morgan. Broad beans and cabbage mainly but they appeared to have no problem with stock.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I got back a short time ago having ridden 55 miles, my route out through Balsall Common, Hockley Heath and on to Hatton, did a small loop in Hatton and came back through Lowsonford and past Packwood house, Baddesley Clinton and through Balsall Common. Not a non stop ride today, I forgot my cereal bar so had to call into the Co Op in Hockley heath for a bar. A lovely day for a bike ride, a bit chilly at first but warming up nicely as the morning progressed, great fun on the way out running before a tailwind, not so much fun slogging into the wind on the way back with fading legs, my legs started to fade as I rode past Baddesley Clinton and by the time I was riding through Balsall Common I was riding on empty. My last ride on the fixed till next winter, I put a smidge under 2000 miles on the fixed over the winter, my next ride will be on
Several of those places sound familiar from my narrowboating experiences in the region, although did pass through some of them on the bike on my way back from Portsmouth last year. Nice area.
Kudos on that number of miles on the fixie. 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom