The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
After my session on the Turbo I ambled out for a walk. As I passed one of the many Barbers shops along the Parade I glanced in the window and saw the two ladies having a natter and no customers in the shop. I popped in on impulse and had an impromptu haircut. It's an odd little barber shop, about a quarter of the width of a typical shop. The barbers are self employed and just hire a chair for the day. I've got to know a few of them, some have young children or other commitments and can fit the barbering in to suit. I always tip well and am still quids in compared to what Mrs Tenkaykev pays for her hair care :ohmy:

Another £138 spent just this morning for Mrs SD's hair.

12boy

Guru
Will be taking the aged dog to the vet. The only thing to change is I will be down a bunch of $. Her problems come, I believe, from simply getting older. She will be 18 in August, which even for a little dog, is old. At some point I may have to put her to sleep if she doesn't go on her own. I will miss the little imp.
Today I will take a break from walking, I think, and sub some exercises and maybe a little Nordic track, some core and stretches.
Perhaps tonight I will roast some Brussels Sprouts, potatos and a couple of trout in Panko crumbs. The Sprouts need to be eaten soon.
Be well and safe.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Apologies. I do feel I've had a bit of a shite time the last few weeks but I am very aware others face much real challenges every day. I shouldn't have complained. It's like pain. My brain haemorrhage showed me what pain is and I haven't complained about something being painful since and won't - unless there's a next time. :laugh: To whinge about a few shite weeks and feeling tired after a ride was wrong of me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A chance you take when bidding on the item.
Did you ask what condition it was in?
The listing described it. That's how I know! Apart from the mic fault, pretty good condition with just a few minor scratches.

This type of microphone fault is mentioned by hundreds of people online and there seemed to be 3 approaches:
  1. Microphone hole in case blocked - carefully clean it out with a pin.
  2. A software problem which can be fixed by disabling 'Hey Google' feature, which I never use anyway.
  3. Give up and send the phone back
Obviously, option #3 isn't open to me so fingers crossed that one of the other two options work.

Tenkaykev

Guru
The listing described it. That's how I know! Apart from the mic fault, pretty good condition with just a few minor scratches.

This type of microphone fault is mentioned by hundreds of people online and there seemed to be 3 approaches:
  1. Microphone hole in case blocked - carefully clean it out with a pin.
  2. A software problem which can be fixed by disabling 'Hey Google' feature, which I never use anyway.
  3. Give up and send the phone back
Obviously, option #3 isn't open to me so fingers crossed that one of the other two options work.
I once mistook the microphone hole in one of my phones ( I think it was a Sony ) for the hole that releases the SIM tray. I was pressing the little pin tool into the hole as hard as I could and wondering why the tray wasn't releasing. I stopped and took a closer look and realised that the SIM tray was on the opposite side of the top edge. Fortunately it was the extra microphone that monitors ambient noise so the phone still worked as a phone. Just a thought, if the Mic is physically damaged wouldn't bluetooth or cable earphones with integrated Mic still work?

D

Deleted member 1258

Apologies. I do feel I've had a bit of a shite time the last few weeks but I am very aware others face much real challenges every day. I shouldn't have complained. It's like pain. My brain haemorrhage showed me what pain is and I haven't complained about something being painful since and won't - unless there's a next time. :laugh: To whinge about a few shite weeks and feeling tired after a ride was wrong of me.

Don't apologies for complaining, it probably did you some good, having a shite time usually wears people down and we all sometimes need to vent our feelings.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't worry about it - anybody can feel down for a few weeks, especially at this time of year. You'll soon be back to your old self!

I once mistook the microphone hole in one of my phones ( I think it was a Sony ) for the hole that releases the SIM tray. I was pressing the little pin tool into the hole as hard as I could and wondering why the tray wasn't releasing. I stopped and took a closer look and realised that the SIM tray was on the opposite side of the top edge. Fortunately it was the extra microphone that monitors ambient noise so the phone still worked as a phone.
Oh dear! :laugh:
Just a thought, if the Mic is physically damaged wouldn't bluetooth or cable earphones with integrated Mic still work?
Yes, definitely. I'm not sure that I would want to ONLY be able to use it that way though. It would be fine for long calls, but a bit annoying for multiple short ones when I would probably be constantly inserting/removing the earpiece. Mind you, I don't get that many voice calls these days anyway.

The vendor said that (s)he can record sound with videos but those must use the second mic on the top of the phone. That may mean that I could use the phone on speaker. I don't like using speaker mode in public though.

We shall see!

That type of phone (Google Pixel 5) was £599 new when it was released in Oct 2020, so £190 now is a real bargain if I sort out the fault.

Top Bottom