The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exlaser2

Veteran
22 degrees here in sunny Coventry today 😀😀

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Self-rotating socks! :wacko: Do any of you suffer from this bizarre problem? :whistle:

I always put my socks on properly - bottom of socks on soles of feet, heels of feet in heels of socks. An hour later, the socks have somehow turned themselves round so the heels are on top! I have no idea how or why this is happening...

I don't remember this being a big issue for me in the past. Is it another one of those strange things that only happen to older people? :laugh:

It is still happening but I think that I have worked out why...

I have been wearing new very stretchy socks over the past few weeks. (I wore out several pairs of older socks which have now been put to one side to use when cleaning my bikes.)

I think the new socks stretch when I am walking about and move slightly on each foot. When the feet relax, the socks don't quite go back to their original positions. Effectively, there is a ratchet effect, which eventually builds up to 180 degree rotations of the socks. It is very irritating! I think I will consign these socks to the cleaning rags bag and start wearing non-stretchy ones.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is still happening but I think that I have worked out why...

I have been wearing new very stretchy socks over the past few weeks. (I wore out several pairs of older socks which have now been put to one side to use when cleaning my bikes.)

I think the new socks stretch when I am walking about and move slightly on each foot. When the feet relax, the socks don't quite go back to their original positions. Effectively, there is a ratchet effect, which eventually builds up to 180 degree rotations of the socks. It is very irritating! I think I will consign these socks to the cleaning rags bag and start wearing non-stretchy ones.
Do the soles of your footwear wear evenly, if so this might be the answer you are seeking.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do the soles of your footwear wear evenly, if so this might be the answer you are seeking.

But it has only become an issue with these stretchy socks...!

I do actually have an unbalanced gait because my left leg is significantly shorter than my right.

When I had Look pedals on my bike I used to put a shim under the left cleat to equalise things somewhat. It isn't quite so simple with (mountain bike type) SPD though. If I shim the left SPD cleat then I would have it sticking proud of the sole rather than being inside a rubber surround.

I have got used to it, but people have commented on the fact that my right knee sometimes sticks out when I am riding.

You can see in this old photo that I am not sitting straight on my bike...

ColinJ twisted on bike.jpg

I was carrying a spare tyre on the back of my Camelbak bag that day. I don't normally bother but sometimes do on long rides in case I (or another rider) should trash a tyre. It has happened to people 2 or 3 times on my forum rides. (I can remember 2 of the occasions, but I think there was a 3rd time, the details of which have disappeared into the fog of time.)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is a tercet stone which has a "tercet" poem on it. There are ten, one for each witch hanged, eight women and two men.

20220513_142538.jpg
😊

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning. Glorious Lancashire should live up to her name 'tis bright, sunny, still already.

Much of yesterday's walk was into a 15mph headwind, I ache. In 55 minutes I have to set off to the meet point for what for me will be +/- 110 miles, possibly 114. No organisation involved from me, just along for the ride. We have a ferry crossing Knott End to Fleetwood and I'm told two cafe stops. I'm told we won't be late home but it's a steady pace. This does not compute. Steady is what? +/- 15mph avg? Also riding the coastal promenade cycle path from Fleetwood southwards which is shared use, by the time we hit Blackpool it will be chokka with dogs, children etc.

At 15avg it's 6.5 hours ride time for the 💯 plus say 1 hour for cafes, 20 minutes ferry and we're at 8 hours. Mechanicals?? I've hinted we should skip one cafe but this fell on deaf ears. Gonna be a long day.

:hello:

Top Bottom