The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Here's a question for my already-retired chums on thread. When does economic inactivity become retirement?

Thing is, working for yourself, there's no cake, balloons, curling sandwiches or faintly inappropriate gift to signify 'the moment' :laugh:

I worked for myself (I had a small business) and mainly worked from home).
I got the chance to retire aged 63 as my biggest customer bought me out.
No cakes, no balloons etc but I Imediately switched off and have never looked back.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm making mince pies, there were "bits" in my self raising flour :ohmy:.....30% wholemeal......... D'oh.....is that the "healthy option" now

Here's a question for my already-retired chums on thread. When does economic inactivity become retirement?

Thing is, working for yourself, there's no cake, balloons, curling sandwiches or faintly inappropriate gift to signify 'the moment' :laugh:

Depends - it can take a while if you have the funds
I didn;t intend to retire when I did - just basically told the new HeadTeacher at the school to sod off (in nice terms) as she made it clear she didn;t want me around - and intended to take a few months to look after my "now wife" and then look for something
then my mother-in-law got ill and I magically turned out to be the only person free to ferry people to and from the hospital
then she died and people needed ferrying around to sort stuff out
then we had Covid

not sure when I decided I had retired - but when Covid started I was certainly saying "stuff it"

but then I had 2 works pensions that I had started early - one I had to start early otherwise I would have lost a lot of money due to complicated stuff - so I had enough money to coast along with no employment

Dave7

Legendary Member
Patio is now finished. Really pleased with it
20240420_112454.jpg

No, they didn't go pop

I thought weevils wobbled but didn;t fall down???

WOW - this sofa is MUCH more comfy

We have 2 2-seat sofas - since Covid and shielding lists and all that my wife an i generally sit on separate sofas
it means we have much more space for important things like computer mouses and remote controls and random bit of paper

but recently it has become clear that the sofa cushions are becoming rather compressed and flat
BUT actually I sit on the left side on one and she sits on the right side of the other

so this morning I swapped the things around
easier said than done as they are lazy-boy recliners and they weigh a ton - and have no decent handholds except for the base

anyway - I have done it with the help of a little trolley thing I got ages ago and this side is WAY more comfy than the bit I was sitting on before!

Top Bottom